Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually have two questions here. First off, from reading my new owner's manual, it's not clear to me if the LX unit has factory code. The manual seemed to spell out that the EX and SC do, but seemed to indicate it's not the case for the LX. Since I live in NYC and want to make the stereo less inviting to steal, it would help to know.

Also, if I want to replace the factory unit with one that has a jack input for an Ipod, is it possible? If so, is it relatively simple in the sense that I can just pull the factory LX unit out and sub in a 3rd party unit without having to do all sorts of wiring for which I'm way less than qualified to do? Many thanks....

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
you will need a metra 70-1721 harness, 40-hd10 antenna adaptor and 99-7863 dash kit to install an aftermarket radio. no one steals factory radios anymore, but your lx should not have an antitheft code on it. turn the key off and look at the face of the radio and see if there is a flashing led. if not, no code. all honda radios that have a code will have an indicator of some sort on the face, and if you didnt get a radio card with your other stuff like your manual then it doesnt have one.

the harnesses and kit above are self explanitory and have instructions on removal and hook up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you will need a metra 70-1721 harness, 40-hd10 antenna adaptor and 99-7863 dash kit to install an aftermarket radio. .
Thanks... Is it possible with the above set-up to get a unit with an Ipod jack included so I can play my Ipod through the unit?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
it all depends on the capability of the radio you are wanting to put in but those parts will allow you to put any single DIN headunit in the element. Scosche makes a kit that will do double din if you are wanting a video or navigation unit too. Just make sure the radio you get does what you want it to do feature wise, these parts will alow the installation of pretty much anything.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Entry level radio's with Ipod cables included or USB connections on the face are growing cheaper and cheaper. Sony makes some nice radios at good prices and although I had become dissappointed with their 'Xplod' line of products in the past....lately, I haven't had any issues. Check out the CDX-GT420IP for example.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed (in my 2009 LX) a Sony MEX-BT5700U that has bluetooth streaming for audio and phone (I have an iPhone 3Gs) as well as a USB front connection. Amazing head unit. Has DSO which 'raises' the sound from the lower door location to up to dash level. No need for an aftermarket trim kit. It fits with the supplied trim kit. A harness is a good idea of course. Next up will be new speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stuck!!

you will need a metra 70-1721 harness, 40-hd10 antenna adaptor and 99-7863 dash kit to install an aftermarket radio.
OK, I bought all of the above and got the metra harness wired up and attached to the new head unit and it works. What I can't figure out for the life of me is how the new head unit fits with the dash kit. The opening on the kit is much too small for the new head unit. There are a couple of plastic squares at either end of the kit opening that look like they might come out, but they are attached very solidly and before I take a hacksaw and cut the squares out, I'd like to make sure that's what I'm supposed to do.

Once that's done, I can't figure out how to secure the new head unit and dash kit to the opening in the dash. No kit or instructions were included with the dash kit. HELP!!:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just did an install on my LX. the antenna adapter was not needed. the dash kit also is suspect, since the headunit sticks out from the dash. I'm considering trying the factory dash kit, since the mounting holes look like they're in the right spot.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Take a picture of what you have so far and post it for us to see it. That will help us help you.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
OK, I bought all of the above and got the metra harness wired up and attached to the new head unit and it works. What I can't figure out for the life of me is how the new head unit fits with the dash kit. The opening on the kit is much too small for the new head unit. There are a couple of plastic squares at either end of the kit opening that look like they might come out, but they are attached very solidly and before I take a hacksaw and cut the squares out, I'd like to make sure that's what I'm supposed to do.

Once that's done, I can't figure out how to secure the new head unit and dash kit to the opening in the dash. No kit or instructions were included with the dash kit. HELP!!:confused:
after a few emails it sounds like the kit they have is not actually the element dash kit, and is came to them with no instructions. when i sent them to www.metraonline.com to get the instruction manual they said it didnt look like the kit in the pictures. not sure where they got it but havent seen pictures of the actual kit yet either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts