Honda Element Owners Club banner

Who's Going?

• There's a big beautiful swimming pool and showers too - sounds good!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Death Valley National Park Camping Binge 2010

February 25 – 28

It’s time to get a move on for another visit to Zabriskie Point, Ubehebe Crater, The Racetrack, Badwater Basin, Devils Golf Course, Rhyolite Ghost Town, Titus Canyon and some other places in this huge, wonderful national park that we’ve yet to explore.

The campground at Furnace Creek is already one quarter of the way full for our selected dates, so it’s important that we start making campsite reservations immediately.

The Group Camps are being considered as well but we’re not sure that they’ll be available for this week end.
Best bet is to start bagging individual campsites at Furnace Creek to cover our bases.
If the Group Camp option becomes available to us we can cancel the Furnance Creek reservations.

Death Valley National Park: http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

Any questions, thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Which area?

What group of spaces should we start reserving in? And yes if we could get the group site that would be good.
:)
I rented the movie "The Island" and when the "products" emerge from their underground institute they're in the middle of Rhyolite ghost town, pretty cool.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What group of spaces should we start reserving in? And yes if we could get the group site that would be good.
:)
I rented the movie "The Island" and when the "products" emerge from their underground institute they're in the middle of Rhyolite ghost town, pretty cool.

It doesn't look like the Group Camps are available - all booked up.

Individual sites at Furnace Creek is what we'll be doing.
About half of these sites are already booked.

You're on point Carol...
Where ever in the campground that looks good to you and available, is where you should reserve a site
Let us know where you end up and we'll start booking sites as near to you as we can get.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Me first!

Okay all you E'ples, I just made my reservation for D.V. 2010 EOC camping fools big event February 25 - 28. I'm in #86 starting Feb 24, (yes, going up early) and so far most of this row is open, from 78 to 88 (except me #86) so let's get this show on the road.

:lol:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
hmmmm..... I reeeeeaaallly want to go, but as usual, my work situation is up in the air :rolleyes:
I'm thinking 87 or 88, or possibly the hike-in tent only sites in the other loop, like 34 or something, but I dont remember what the sites look like. Has anyone stayed in that other loop before? and if I want to keep the option of sleeping in the E, do you know if the E qualifies as a 'modified van' as per the 'dont bring an RV to the tent loop' clause on the reservation site?

·
Registered
549 Posts
anyone wants to share a site? Some of the sites are huge.....112 and 117 are still open...plenty of shade....

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Death Valley named #1 National Park.
http://www.inyoregister.com/content/view/121179/1/

Death Valley it is.
Since last our last camping trip to Death Valley in Feb 2009 the park has had 3 fatalities.
All three deaths happened to people who were unprepared and quickly succumed to the harsh elements of the park during the summer months.

I cannot understand why people insist on under estimating the dangers of Death Valley and visit and explore this place during the summer.
It's a shame but every year people die out here and as the park becomes more popular more fatalities are bound to follow.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Diff Park.

Sorry to change the subject but, have you seen this months National Geograhic Magazine. I read it on the flight home from Vancouver and it has a great article about "The Redwoods". I want to camp there.:D

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry to change the subject but, have you seen this months National Geograhic Magazine. I read it on the flight home from Vancouver and it has a great article about "The Redwoods". I want to camp there.:D
We'll be camping at Humboldt Redwoods for 10 days next summer.
Heck - while there you could spend a few days camping at Redwood National Park too.
Redwood NP is about 60 miles north of Humboldt Redwoods SP on US 101 above Cresent City and south to Arcata.
Jdiane and Melissa drove up there while we were camping at Humboldt and you can see some of it in thier pics on -
the Humboldt Redwoods Photo Dump.

Three recently found trees (over 375 feet) are in Redwoods NP and Humboldt Redwoods SP.
They are the tallest trees to be found yet.
The exact location of these trees are kept secret to avoid a overload of visitors.

No doubt there are even taller trees than these that have yet to be found.
With so many thousands of trees here it's impossible to measure them all.
All I know of these recently found behemoths is they are very deep in the forest and even if you stood right next to them -
you could not tell them from the others. (The trees are so tall you can't see the tops of them anyway) :rolleyes:
Like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
But it's wonderful to know that they are still finding these big guys!
If it weren't for the efforts of local tree huggers and concerned Americans the forest service would of allowed these towering giants to be clear cut by logging companies a long time ago.

The California Redwoods are actually a continuous stretch of coastal Redwoods that begins south of Humboldt Redwoods State Park and goes all the way up to the Oregon border to Redwood National Park with a few towns and villages in between.

It's just like heaven.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Jdiane and Melissa drove up there while we were camping at Humboldt and you can see some of it in thier pics on -
the Humboldt Redwoods Photo Dump.
It's just like heaven.
We went back there this summer on our way to and from camping in WA state. Stayed at Del Norte SP on the way up, then had the great fortune of spending two nights at Jedidiah Smith SP on the way back. Redwoods NP doesnt have a campground itself, but you camp at the state parks that are partners with the NP.

Jedidiah Smith SP is absolutely gorgeous! The campsites themselves are not as nice as the Williams Grove Group, but for individual campsites are good, but the surrounding trees/river/hikes are spectacular. :)

Back to your regularly scheduled DV 10 Thread... :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I bagged site #85. :)

I'll be sleeping in my car so I will have extra room.

RESERVATION DETAILS
Campground: FURNACE CREEK (CA)
Site: 085
Site Type: TENT ONLY NONELECTRIC
Loop: DRIVE-IN LOOPState: California
Length of Stay: 4
# of Occupants: 3
# of Vehicles: 2

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Richelle and I are looking to share a site with somebody.
Nice perks to who ever says yes - and we'll feed you too!

So if you don't like to fuss with camp cooking and would enjoy a wide variety of very tasty foods you can have us as your personal chefs... breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Seriously.... how ya gonna beat that? :lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Barbara and I are in site 79, fits two cars and our popup. If you don't mind a ridgeline in the element state? Would be happy to share site and buy groceries if you would be our honored quests. Not sure how much space for your tent but we would love your company. Best wishes Bill & Barbara, Teddy and Tazee.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm up for sharing as long as you don't mind a moto or two. :D
josh

I don't mind....Any site in your mind that you prefere? I will go head and reserve it. I will request these days off!! If we are going to Titus again, hopefully I will not have another flat.....

·
Registered
297 Posts
miss ellie - if i can get out of work, me and mr zorak will share with you - if you don't mind sharing with someone you've never met before. (also if you get a definite yes before i can figure out the work situation, feel free to bump me)

1 - 20 of 356 Posts