Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Honda sales person that is also a family member has told me that 2010 will be the last year for the Element. She dos not know why or if there is a replacement in the works.:confused::mad:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Because it was a niche product and didn't sell as well to the demographic as Honda had wished. 8 years is a long time for any vehicle to be in production without a redsign. The auto industry is moving rapidly towards smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. It's easier for an auto company to justify a car like the S2000 because it's like a trophy for the company. The S2000 is an object of lust whereas the Element is just a car that get's the job done but hasn't created any buzz. Just with us.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A Honda sales person that is also a family member has told me that 2010 will be the last year for the Element. She dos not know why or if there is a replacement in the works.:confused::mad:
How and from whom did the sales person/family member get this info?

From what I have seen, dealerships are nowhere in the communication chain of latest news being handed down from the vehicle manufacturer.

Not meaning to come across in a nasty fashion. Just never seem to hear any scoop from car dealers unless it's some pre-intro of a new vehicle some 30 days ahead or so...and by then, anyone reading news on the internet has long since learned of the topic.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How and from whom did the sales person/family member get this info?

From what I have seen, dealerships are nowhere in the communication chain of latest news being handed down from the vehicle manufacturer.

Not meaning to come across in a nasty fashion. Just never seem to hear any scoop from car dealers unless it's some pre-intro of a new vehicle some 30 days ahead or so...and by then, anyone reading news on the internet has long since learned of the topic.
This was supposedly a communication directly from Honda. Granted I have not personal seen this communication but I do know she believes it to be true.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Dealers are always the last to know anything. Been working in dealers 33yrs, so I can state that with confidence.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Dealers are always the last to know anything. Been working in dealers 33yrs, so I can state that with confidence.
That's what I always heard.

I don't see where Honda's motivation would be to communicate that info to the dealers at this point. But then again, I ain't no international carmaker either so what do I know...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure hope you are correct. I would much prefer having egg on my face to having the element dropped. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
said it before

as I've said before I work on I95 at the fort Mc Henry Tunnel and I see a heck of alot of E's on a daily bassis some are there at the same time every night and a lot are just going by (alot of out of state tags). I would think that if something is selling well why get rid of it??? look how long the corvett or mustang has been around

·
Moderator Eh?
12,158 Posts
as I've said before I work on I95 at the fort Mc Henry Tunnel and I see a heck of alot of E's on a daily bassis some are there at the same time every night and a lot are just going by (alot of out of state tags). I would think that if something is selling well why get rid of it??? look how long the corvett or mustang has been around

Sales have been on the decline for the past few years. Sales for the 2009 calender year look like they will fall just below the 14,000 mark. Can't compare the E to the Mustang and Corvette. The Mustang if i recall still sells over 100,000 a year and the Corvette goes without saying....

·
Registered
300 Posts
The development and tooling has got to be paid for by now and they don't spend a lot on marketing so I could see if it makes money for Honda it might hang on for a while longer. But if you are Honda you would have asked yourself by now where do you go from here with the E and is it worth the risk on the investment to develop a new generation and retool or milk it for what you can get then let it go away quietly?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I for one like most everyone here loves the "E" its safety rating is top notch with insurance companies and it's proven reliable and practical. With the up coming changes to CAFE requirements, Honda may be rethinking their focus on fuel economy. Many competing manufactures are also producing a box. Most if not all are smaller and have better fuel ratings. IMO Honda is still focused on the car end of the business. I wouldn't say they've been wildly successful with any of their trucks except the CRV. If you think about it, all Honda trucks fit some kind of special interest group. Most PU truck buyer don't consider the Ridgeline a pickup. The Pilot is nice but not nearly so popular as other SUVs. I'm hoping that Honda keeps the element. I bought is for it's practical nature. I would love to see a diesel version with a beefed up sub-frame for better towing capacity.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Because it was a niche product and didn't sell as well to the demographic as Honda had wished. 8 years is a long time for any vehicle to be in production without a redsign. The auto industry is moving rapidly towards smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. It's easier for an auto company to justify a car like the S2000 because it's like a trophy for the company. The S2000 is an object of lust whereas the Element is just a car that get's the job done but hasn't created any buzz. Just with us.
Um, there's no 2010 S2000...it's dead.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Um, there's no 2010 S2000...it's dead.
Yes, I saw on AutoWeek that the S2000 was dead and I can only guess that it is because of poor sales and not becuase it is a lousy model.:grin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
2010 Last Year For Element??

What does everyone think, is this the last year of the Element? I was reading some of the posts about how people are having a hard time finding Elements and that they are scarce at most locations. So, I searched online and I have seen no rumors or articles about a 2011 Element model. Normally with all the car shows going on and the 2011 models going to be release within the next couple of months you would think that some information would be out by now. With all this I became curious as to how many Elements that Honda has sold per calendar year (not model year), so I went through their press releases and was surprised at the numbers:

Feb 2010: 919
Feb 2009: 1079
Feb Total: -160 Less Elements sold in Feb from last year (22.7% Decrease)

Jan 2010: 736
Jan 2009: 1152
Jan Total: -416 Less Elements sold in Jan from last year (30.8% Decrease)

2009: 14,884 (43.7% Decrease From Previous Year)
2008: 26,447 (25.1% Decrease From Previous Year)
2007: 35,218 (32.3% Decrease From Previous Year)
2006: 51,829 (7.6% Decrease From Previous Year)
2005: 56,262 (5.8% Decrease From Previous Year)
2004: 59,927 (11.5% Decrease From Previous Year)
2003: 67,478
2002: 957

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lizzurd, thanks for the article link, that is good news. I just picked up my 2010 and the dealer only had a Citrus EX and a Black LX. My wife hated the Citrus, but I was lucky that another dealer needed another vehicle and just happened to be bringing down a PMM EX 4WD to trade, which is exactly what I was wanting, so I just got lucky.

I've really liked the Element over the years and now that I'm an owner I love it. It will be interesting to see what Honda comes up with for the next generation.

Thanks again for the link.

GC7

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've really liked the Element over the years and now that I'm an owner I love it. It will be interesting to see what Honda comes up with for the next generation.
This is the exact reason I purchased a 2010. I am worried Honda might move in the scion/cube/soul direction for the 2nd generation Element due to the sales decline and increased competition (i.e. making it smaller, lower roofline, no 4WD, etc).

1 - 20 of 87 Posts