Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today my 2010 double din nav radio says Jan. 1, 2002 - 4pm. I tried to reset the clock but it won't let me change the time manually.
After a few minutes of trying to change it I turned off the car and back back on and it reset to 4pm again.
Not sure if this started yesterday with 2022 I didn't use my car yesterday.
Any ideas?
Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ha! I just posted almost the same question. My 2010 reset to 1/1/2002 yesterday. I only noticed because the clock reset to 1pm and it wouldn’t let me change it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe so
Ha! I just posted almost the same question. My 2010 reset to 1/1/2002 yesterday. I only noticed because the clock reset to 1pm and it wouldn’t let me change it.
I hope someone can help. Or honda have a solution. I wonder if an updated map cd would do it? I wonder how many other radios have this issue or if it is only these nav units.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I hope someone posts the solution here on the owner forum. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the 3G network rollover that is suppose to affect some cars with internet update connections...I didn't see the Honda Element 2010 on the list but I tried re-installing the navigational disk I purchased in 2018 but the problem persists. Please let me know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found this Clock Fault (Year 2022) which is an interesting read about how it may be a hardware/software issue. its happening to all Acuras and Hondas from this time period. They say its a y2k 2022 bug

I called 888-528-7876 which is hondas incar help, and they told me they are aware of the problem and the engineers are looking into it. They will notify me when they have something, they took my address and phone number. I suggest you all log the issue with them too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This post in particular

"My 2007 CRV EX has the same issue. As of yesterday (1st Jan 22) my clock is also wrong, and the + and - buttons are not behaving properly when you reset the time.

I think I know what the cause is, but I doubt there will be a proper solution.

It hasn't been in the news much but yesterday the date was written by many computers as 2201010001 (YYMMDDHHMM). Many older computers that store the date this way cannot handle any number bigger than 2147483647, so as soon as the year began with a 22, it fails and can no longer register the date/time correctly.

I can't prove this for certain, but the timing is not likely to be coincidence. It's basically like the millennium bug on a smaller scale.

Edit: the same issue wrecked some Microsoft email servers yesterday too:
Microsoft Exchange year 2022 bug in FIP-FS breaks email delivery

It is ultimately a hardware and software issue so I doubt Honda will roll out a fix for vehicles that are this old. "

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this Clock Fault (Year 2022) which is an interesting read about how it may be a hardware/software issue. its happening to all Acuras and Hondas from this time period. They say its a y2k 2022 bug

I called 888-528-7876 which is hondas incar help, and they told me they are aware of the problem and the engineers are looking into it. They will notify me when they have something, they took my address and phone number. I suggest you all log the issue with them too.
I called the number you referenced and I registered my car - a Honda Element - as a trouble car. I was told that they are working on the problem but in the meantime, by August 2022 I should see the navigation system correction itself. If they can find a solution before then, they would contact me.

·
Registered
214 Posts

I just called Honda and was provided with the same info as above. The person I spoke to said it may need to be resolved at a Honda dealer when a solution is available or it will autocorrect in August of 2022. As long as the nav is functioning It’s just a minor inconvenience IMO.

Thanks for posting the phone number!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seems it is not just the Elements doing this. I have a 2013 Honda CRZ and am a member at the CRZ forum also. They are having the same issues with their Nav head units.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Have the same problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Today my 2010 double din nav radio says Jan. 1, 2002 - 4pm. I tried to reset the clock but it won't let me change the time manually.
After a few minutes of trying to change it I turned off the car and back back on and it reset to 4pm again.
Not sure if this started yesterday with 2022 I didn't use my car yesterday.
Any ideas?
Thank you
I have an '09 with the factory Alpine Nav unit and it seems to be OK (pic), though i'm never up to date on the Nav disc updates - i'm using a 2019 disc.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have an '09 with the factory Alpine Nav unit and it seems to be OK (pic), though i'm never up to date on the Nav disc updates - i'm using a 2019 disc.
WOW if this is true, then maybe updating to the new 21 disc will work. Might as well try it while we are waiting. I will get one and report back.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts