Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with static on my factory stereo in my '10 SC. It only occurs on the FM stations (maybe AM, but I don't listen to AM). The XM, CD and iPhone plays perfectly. The dealership has now replaced my coaxial cable from the head unit to the antenna base, and replaced the antenna base itself. No change. To quote the service invoice: "FOUND STATIC IN RADIO - USED TEST ANTENNA TO HELP DIAG - FOUND STATIC TO GO AWAY WHEN PLUGGED INTO RADIO. REPLACED ANTEANNA FEEDER WIRE (REMOVED HEADLINER TO ACCESS) BUT STATIC PERSISTED. PLUGGED TEST ANTENNA INTO BACK OF FEEDER WIRE WITH NO STATIC. REPLACED ANTENNA BASE BUT STATIC PERSISTED. DROVE OTHER 2010 ELEMENT ON LOT AND FOUND SAME PROBLEM. CALLED TECHLINE AND WAS TOLD IF HAPPENING WITH OTHER VEHICLE THIS WAS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC." The end. I am so frustrated with Honda. I have a 1991 Accord EX 5-MT with 280k that I am still in love with. This SC is my first new car ever and I was all about buying nothing but a Honda, specifically an E. I've been in love with them since I saw my first one back in the day. But this is aggrevating. Has anyone else had an issue with static on only FM receiver?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
* Plugged test antenna into back of feeder wire, no static.
* Replaced antenna base, static persists

Sounds like the problem is in the connection between the coax and antenna base, the base itself (new parts can be bad), the base-antenna connection, or the little antenna mast itself. They did all the hard work but didn't see the troubleshooting through to the end.

"Normal characteristic" indeed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dan. I called the dealership back and told them they would have to keep troubleshooting until problem was resolved. I hate being pushy, but I'm not satisfied. I'll post the outcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts