Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Element with 110K miles has begun stalling when coming to a stop shortly after being started. It starts up fine initially, with steady idle about 1,000 RPM, but stalls when coming to a stop until the engine reaches full operating temp. Once at full temp, it idles smoothly at 500-600 RPM. Suspecting the IACV, but the good initial idle seems odd. Maybe the ECM is closing the IACV prematurely? Would appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
585 Posts
My 2011 Element with 110K miles has begun stalling when coming to a stop shortly after being started. It starts up fine initially, with steady idle about 1,000 RPM, but stalls when coming to a stop until the engine reaches full operating temp. Once at full temp, it idles smoothly at 500-600 RPM. Suspecting the IACV, but the good initial idle seems odd. Maybe the ECM is closing the IACV prematurely? Would appreciate any insight.
2011s don't have an IACV, they are drive-by-wire and the functions handled by the IACV in the pre-2007s are done by the engine control computer and throttle plate only. Have you had the valves adjusted? That is due at 110k and absolutely do that first (adjusted, not just 'listened to'). Then chase the stalling issue if that does not fix it. From your description I bet it will.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,521 Posts
I second that your valves need to be adjusted. I had the same problem, adjusted them, no problem again for about 100K (they are due again....:confused:). If yours have never been adjusted, IMHO you should start with that before you look at IACV or the like. Good luck!! :)

Reactions: Mike1953

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to Marv and Alaskan Toaster for their suggestions. I have not yet adjusted the valves (I have a valve cover gasket on order). I had seen the valve adjustment recommendation on other sites, but as a mechanical engineer and former SAE member, it defies me why incorrect valve lash would effect the cold idle but allow the engine to start perfectly and run smoothly at operating temp. What am I missing?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Valve lash changes with temperature due to dissimilar metals. This is why the adjustment must be done on a cold engine.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,521 Posts
.......it defies me why incorrect valve lash would effect the cold idle but allow the engine to start perfectly and run smoothly at operating temp. What am I missing?
When I adjusted mine @62K (they are due again!! :oops:), the exhaust valves were almost closed. When they don't open properly when cold, the engine does not have a way to get rid of the burnt fumes and chokes itself out (until they warm up and expand). Relatively easy to do and the benefits are many.... :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for all the advice. Disconnected the battery and adjusted the valves (at 105,400 miles) with engine stone cold (most exhaust valves were <.009", some as tight as .004", only 2 intake valves out of spec), replaced the plugs (old plugs in great shape!), and cleaned the throttle body. Reconnected the battery and she fired right up and idled smoothly at 1,000 rpm. Drove for a bit to bring engine to operating temp and then let it idle a couple of times for a couple of minutes to reset the ECM. Now it purrs like a kitten, rock-solid warm idle at 700-750 rpm. Still not convinced that valves out of spec would cause my transient idle (stalling) issue. Makes more sense that resetting the ECM cleared some incorrect fuel mapping. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The first thought I had from your original description was to adjust the valves before doing anything else (as suggested by others as well). What you found (some exhaust valves tight, most of the intake valves at or close to spec) is typical in my experience. Whether is was the cause of your idle issue or not I guess is a moot point since it seems to be fixed and more important that an idle issue, you got tight exhaust valves back to spec - many folks fail to do this and then burn a valve. After the first adjustment at 110k, I personally have been doing my every ~50k after that rather than waiting another 100k...it's not really that much work and cheap insurance along with regular oil changes toward a long-lived engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts