Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I didn't follow the thread very deeply, but I'm going to postulate that if true, it's primarily because of CAFE. The RL and Pilot sort of did a number on it. :|

·
Registered
895 Posts
Why not make a full hybrid of it? It seems absurd to get rid of such a good vehicle.

·
12,180 Posts
The sales numbers are not helping either. If the fridgeline is facing the chopping block can the E really be far behind? Even the Crosstour is out selling both the E and Ridgeline combined.

Honda is backed up on CRV orders....I still believe that somewhere at Honda a bunch of suits are sitting in an office looking at how killing the E will benefit the CRV.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=890580

I am aware that Honda has green lighted a second generation E....And just the diesel engines program that vanished.....I will believe it when i see it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The sales numbers are not helping either. If the fridgeline is facing the chopping block can the E really be far behind? Even the Crosstour is out selling both the E and Ridgeline combined.

Honda is backed up on CRV orders....I still believe that somewhere at Honda a bunch of suits are sitting in an office looking at how killing the E will benefit the CRV.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=890580

I am aware that Honda has green lighted a second generation E....And just the diesel engines program that vanished.....I will believe it when i see it.
I wonder how Ridgeline sales compare across with four door, 4wd/Awd, six cyliner and higher trim lines? Most pickups have so many different variations across the model line up. I thought I read in a recent magazine that the Ridgeline comes up second to the Tacoma as a four door 4wd, V6 pickup.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Why not make a full hybrid of it? It seems absurd to get rid of such a good vehicle.
The larger a vehicle is, the less it benefits from hybrid tech. It wouldn't blip the numbers enough. Besides, does Honda have an IMA for the V6?

·
Registered
895 Posts
The larger a vehicle is, the less it benefits from hybrid tech. It wouldn't blip the numbers enough. Besides, does Honda have an IMA for the V6?
Makes sense, then perhaps along the lines that Lexus has done for greater performance, ie. V8 power. IMA?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
IMA = Integrated Motor Assist, which is Honda's hybrid system. It works a little differently from Toyota's, but has roughly the same net effect.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Maybe because in this area at least, the Honda dealership has several Crosstours on the lot and they can't even get buyers to look at them, yet you can't go 5 minutes of driving without passing an E on the road and the dealer doesn't have a single one on the lot.

Have never seen an unhappy Element owner, yet I have only seen one Crosstour actually on the road and the driver was at a rest stop growling at somebody on his phone about how lousy the thing was. I mean, seeing one of those things sticks in your memory like finding doggy doo on the living room carpet so it's not like they're passing by unnoticed.

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
4,759 Posts
Well, they DID, cause the Accord Hybrid used it (I only know since I have one :) ).

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can see why sales are poor, it's too expensive IMO. For what you actually get truck wise, cool locking trunk thing aside, you can get a much better value from Toyota or Nissan. A V6 truck with the specs that the Ridgeline has, priced over 30k is ridiculous. I wanted to get one, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it, and the dealerships around here just won't come down off sticker more than a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I can see why sales are poor, it's too expensive IMO. For what you actually get truck wise, cool locking trunk thing aside, you can get a much better value from Toyota or Nissan. A V6 truck with the specs that the Ridgeline has, priced over 30k is ridiculous. I wanted to get one, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it, and the dealerships around here just won't come down off sticker more than a few hundred bucks.
From what I've read, the worst problems with them (aside from being incredibly ugly) center on the headlights and bad rear visibility. I can't imagine anyone having the gall to ask for $30K for something like a Crosstour but that seems to be the case. BTW, I just found out that the Crosstour has a paddle shifter and that would've killed the deal for me even on an Element.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Maybe because in this area at least, the Honda dealership has several Crosstours on the lot and they can't even get buyers to look at them, yet you can't go 5 minutes of driving without passing an E on the road and the dealer doesn't have a single one on the lot.

Have never seen an unhappy Element owner, yet I have only seen one Crosstour actually on the road and the driver was at a rest stop growling at somebody on his phone about how lousy the thing was. I mean, seeing one of those things sticks in your memory like finding doggy doo on the living room carpet so it's not like they're passing by unnoticed.
Not exactly a fair assessment. You are seeing a 7-year accumulation of Element sales on the road while the Crosstour has only been available for a few months.... As for happy... I was looking at the option of acquiring an Acura RDX. You can get a whole bunch of technology and comfort and POWER for under $30,000.-- on the pre-loved market. Resale is $#!t but I couldn't find anyone unhappy owning one. It appears that new sales aren't all that hot either. I am tempted to get one of these as a replacement for my wife's CR-V. But it would at this time cost me $12K+ and this just isn't practical right now.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just found out that the Crosstour has a paddle shifter and that would've killed the deal for me even on an Element.
PADDLE SHIFTS WOULDVE KILLED IT FOR YOU?!?!?!? zomg... i would KILL for them on my E! Paddle shifts are AWESOME!!! (of course... the paddle shift i was using just so happened to be on a ferrari [not mine])

Paddle shifts are freakin awesome!

·
12,180 Posts
BTW, I just found out that the Crosstour has a paddle shifter and that would've killed the deal for me even on an Element.

PADDLE SHIFTS WOULDVE KILLED IT FOR YOU?!?!?!? zomg... i would KILL for them on my E! Paddle shifts are AWESOME!!! (of course... the paddle shift i was using just so happened to be on a ferrari [not mine])

Paddle shifts are freakin awesome!

For the record the Crosstour does not have paddle shift levers.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
For the record the Crosstour does not have paddle shift levers.
That's odd. I just read a web article that described the paddle shift lever on the Crosstour. I'll see if I can find it again later but right now, I'm headed back to work.

BTW, for the person who said he wanted a paddle shifter, I've used them too (not on a Ferrari,l mind you) and even if Honda GAVE me a car with them, I'd leave it on the lot.

·
12,180 Posts
That's odd. I just read a web article that described the paddle shift lever on the Crosstour. I'll see if I can find it again later but right now, I'm headed back to work.

BTW, for the person who said he wanted a paddle shifter, I've used them too (not on a Ferrari,l mind you) and even if Honda GAVE me a car with them, I'd leave it on the lot.

When the 2007 Fit sport came out Honda put together a nice autocross course that was used to compare the Fit against the competition. Of all the Fits i drove that night under various conditions the Sport with a manual was by far the best. The one with paddle shifters felt gimmicky at best.

·
Registered
510 Posts
they do take some getting used to for sure. but once you do... its like magic :)

I like a regular "manula" (lol, i thought you were talking about some strange and exotic system) manual as well. however... i had to sell mine cause its hard for me to clutch having a prosthetic left leg :-(. I can do it... but its a bit harder for me... and on the car:evil:. If the E came out with paddle shifts, i might be first in line :).

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

that's because 85%+ of the E owners are on this site :)

but seriously, the E's got more versatility than the crosstour... i mean, just take a look at the damn thing (crosstour). its ugly as hell!! (imo)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts