Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Honda Odyssey concept

The new Concept Odyssey !

This is an Odyssey, but I like the windows!
Dom

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
Had an '06 Ody and liked the clean, sharp lines. This goes back the standard "bloated whale" look of most minivans... :-:)-(

Sad to see Honda go that route... :|:|

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Same feeling here. That thing looks an awful lot like the styling (if you can call it styling...) on the Crosstour and the other newer models. If this is the new Honda frontier, then I'm going to look at other brands next time. My worse fear is that they'll decide to do something like this to the new Elements too. The '09-10 changes were bad enough.

Hoo boy! I just read that they've cut another inch off of the headroom in the new model. That's about the LAST thing that they should've been doing.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The new Concept Odyssey !

This is an Odyssey, but I like the windows!
Dom
EEYUCK! Those nasty window lines are like the ones they put on the CRV's and the other newer ones. I'm thinking that you'd say anything was pretty if it said Honda on the front.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
If the rest of the car is designed like the outside—for looks instead of utility—it will be a sad day for the Odyssey line.

Gotta disagree with Dom about the windows. High belt lines are the fins of the '00s. We like to look out the window! Give us real windows!

Threads merged, "You missed the other thread" posts removed.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
maybe the high waistline only looks high because the roof has dropped an inch.

I understand the need to streamline the van for aerodynamic efficiency but must agree that the trend toward crosstour/venza is pretty poor.

I liked the old Odyssey because the rear lift gate was very flat and vertical which increased rear storage. My in-laws have a Sienna and the slope to the rear gate really hurts cargo space.

I had seen some designs from a year ago or so on the new Quest that looked pretty promising but the latest news from Nissan make it seem like the Quest may be put on ice indefinitely.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like it. It's an improvement, in my opinion.
The exteriors of the 2nd and 3rd gen. Odd'ys were not bad. The 2nd had a much more succinct style and execution. The 3rd was nice but a bit "confused".
The 4thG Oddy has a nice crisp "together" design language.
I have been critical of the Crosstour's styling and the Oddy has some of those ques but the Oddy isn't trying to be something it's not. It is so much better looking than any of the Chrysler/Dodge/VW or Toyota or Nissan competitors.
The korean mini-vans look like recycled Windstars. The Mazda isn't bad. My inlaws have one and it's kinda like the Element... bigger on the inside than it looks from the outside (yeah I know, a tardis).
Again, I like the new Oddy exterior. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I wanted a mini-van.

IMHO,
John

·
Registered
351 Posts
They may be finally trying to merge both US and Japanese versions....

US model

Japan model

I have personally always thought that the original JDM models were way better appealing than what was shipped over here (no matter what chassis). I would by the JDM Odyssey in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
They may be finally trying to merge both US and Japanese versions...........
Those wheels are AWESOME!! Wonder if they would fit my E (in 18", of course).... :?:roll:8)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
it might be interesting if it were available w/ an MT, preferably w/ 6 forward gears, but i could get by w/ 5.
4WD would be nice also. need to ditch the 3rd row of seats so the boards and stuff will all fit inside.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
it might be interesting if it were available w/ an MT, preferably w/ 6 forward gears, but i could get by w/ 5.
4WD would be nice also. need to ditch the 3rd row of seats so the boards and stuff will all fit inside.
I considered one when I was looking for my vehicle. They do come in a (sort of) 4WD model but the price left me staggering away to other choices. I think the salesman quoted me something around $32K for what I thought was a basic, no-frills model on the lot and my sensibility kept saying it should've been a bit more than $20K.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
that mugen Oddy is not anything close to the US Oddy. That one has four standard doors, no sliders. I wouldn't mind seeing a US oddy that is set up for true touring and some nice aerodynamic options

·
12,179 Posts
Forgive me for not understanding why people are obsessed with anything JDM. Most of the people i know that have an Odyssey didn't buy them because they wanted something sporty....They bought them for what they can haul and tow.

The Japanese Odyssey is just an Accord wagon in disquise.

I will assume that JDM > USDM is meant to say that anything JDM is better? I guess that is one mans opinion.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you on the JDM kick Lizzurd. Those are two completely different automobiles.

I think that adding a sport version of a minivan would only help an automaker. They don't need to make the entire lineup sporty just one version. Just like they came out with the SC Element. That is not what the majority of E shoppers are looking for but there is a niche. Think of the families that drives sport sedans that need something bigger but don't want the SUV and hate to be stereotyped into the soccer mom crowd.

Basically take the Touring Oddy and step it up another notch or two with some areo packaging and a little extra power. Dual tipped exhaust would be pretty sexy too.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you on the JDM kick Lizzurd. Those are two completely different automobiles.

I think that adding a sport version of a minivan would only help an automaker. They don't need to make the entire lineup sporty just one version. Just like they came out with the SC Element. That is not what the majority of E shoppers are looking for but there is a niche. Think of the families that drives sport sedans that need something bigger but don't want the SUV and hate to be stereotyped into the soccer mom crowd.

Basically take the Touring Oddy and step it up another notch or two with some areo packaging and a little extra power. Dual tipped exhaust would be pretty sexy too.
Agreeing with Lizzard as well. I think a sporty minivan could be interesting, but I think it'd take a lot of doing to make it work. Very good execution of the idea, and even better marketing. Otherwise it's not worth the costs to bother. I think the company that can make their sporty minivan a product that's recognizable on its own and is distinct enough from its next-closest relatives is who gets the prize. Mazda5 is a decent start, but if, for example, Honda could make an Odyssey SI that was worthy of the name and stuck out enough from the regular Odyssey that people recognized it as a new and different thing, it could work.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The Japanese Odyssey is based off the US first gen Odyssey which is based on the Accord. They still produce the Accord based Odyssey in Japan and call it the Odyssey. What we know as the Odyssey (second and third generations) here in the US now is called the Lagreat in Japan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts