Honda Element Owners Club banner

Who's in on this?

• Danger - watch for skunks noshing in the dampsters at night.. yeech!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • So many birds, so little time.. bring binoculars

• Very cool things here this time of year! CYA there.

• I'm not going and you can't make me go either.

• Good for you! You'de hate it anyway. Too much fun!

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Santa Barbara Wine Tour & Campout :food005:
October ~ 12-13-14

WHERE: CACHUMA LAKE RECREATION AREA

It's harvest time at the wineries and you know what that means.. fine wines, camping, water and fun what more could you ask for?

There of course will be a trip to Cold Spring Tavern for a fabulous breakfast at a 100 + yr old stagecoach tavern tucked away into the woods.
It can't be beat.

Here's some of the other cool things you can do.. nobody goes home disappointed.
Wonderful location; a big beautiful lake situated behind the mountains above Santa Barbara and it's adjoining lakeside campground.
Wine country "Santa Ynez Valley" is saturated in grapes, rolling hills and splendid wineries.

The Cachuma Lake campground has every comfort amenity imaginable, including a marina w/boat and kayak rentals. (or bring your own)
a swimming pool, snack bar, campstore, showers and playing fields that are great for flying kites.
This is a huge campground on a peninsular that juts out on to the lake. The campsites are large and well spread out with lots of shade.

Expect to see birds. Lots of birds as Cachuma Lake is a stop over spot on the migratory Pacific Flyway.

CAMPGROUND:
Cachuma Lake ~ Campsite reservations are not required. First come first serve. With over 400 sites it's never a problem.
Camping Fools like the Barona Shores section of the campground best. (site #281 -295)
http://www.countyofsb.org/parks/parks05.aspx?id=13440

WINE TOUR:
There are impressive wineries all over Santa Barbara County.
The closest wineries to our campground are in the Santa Ynez Valley, some have been in movies - we'll be visiting some of them.
The "Sideways" Wine Trail http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/s...ine-trail.html

·
Registered
308 Posts
Maybe this time:)

Rebecca and I went out Kayaking at Avila Beach yesterday. It was so fun..I may have the bug. Teddy rode up front...so cute!
Hopefully Bec and I can make it down to this meet.

October 12-13-14

It's harvest time at the wineries and you know what that means.. fine wines, camping, water and fun what more could you ask for?

There of course will be a trip to Cold Spring Tavern for a fabulous breakfast at a 100 + yr old stagecoach tavern tucked away into the woods.
It can't be beat.

Here's some of the other cool things you can do.. nobody goes home disappointed.
Wonderful location; a big beautiful lake situated behind the mountains above Santa Barbara and it's adjoining lakeside campground.
Wine country "Santa Ynez Valley" is saturated in grapes, rolling hills and splendid wineries.

The Cachuma Lake campground has every comfort amenity imaginable, including a marina w/boat and kayak rentals. (or bring your own)
a swimming pool, snack bar, campstore, showers and playing fields that are great for flying kites.
This is a huge campground on a peninsular that juts out on to the lake. The campsites are large and well spread out with lots of shade.

Expect to see birds. Lots of birds as Cachuma Lake is a stop over spot on the migratory Pacific Flyway.

CAMPGROUND:
Cachuma Lake ~ Campsite reservations are not required. First come first serve. With over 400 sites it's never a problem.
Camping Fools like the Barona Shores section of the campground best. (site #281 -295)

WINE TOUR:
The closest wineries to our campground are in the Santa Ynez Valley, some have been in movies - we'll be visiting some of them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
October 12-13-14

It can't be beat.

CAMPGROUND:

WINE TOUR:
Dang it!! Wish there was a schedule poll for this...we have a gig to play that weekend. :-(

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dang it!! Wish there was a schedule poll for this...we have a gig to play that weekend. :-(
Tonya - Promise you'll come and I'll change the date for ya. ;-)
Which other week end in October would work for you guys?

The choices are either..

October 5-6-7

October 18-19-20

It can't be Halloween Week End - got a family shin dig to attend.

·
Registered
177 Posts
And another one bites the dust

Guess I will be missing this one because I already had plans to go camping and family will be coming along. Well at least I'm locked in for Death Valley. Got space #106 (I think) for 2-20/24, 2013. If the Camping Fools do something after Oct. I might make that.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I better make this since its only 30 minutes from my house! at least one night, since my stupid boss wouldnt give me time off for Humboldt. :x :roll:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
There should be a box to check for breakfast and the wine tour!
It's usually a do-what-you-feel-like schedule. Nothing required or expected, unless you want to stay for potluck dinner and gag gift exchange.

Just keep up on the thread and I'm sure a general breakfast time will appear. A few hours after breakfast individuals or groups may pick a wine itinerary.

For safety reasons, I recommend going to Los Olivos or Solvang, and doing tastings at either ONE of those locations, since there are multiple establishments at each, and they don't require driving in between.

Personally, if I can go, I won't even decide my own tasting itinerary until the day of, if I even do any.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's usually a do-what-you-feel-like schedule. Nothing required or expected, unless you want to stay for potluck dinner and gag gift exchange.

Just keep up on the thread and I'm sure a general breakfast time will appear. A few hours after breakfast individuals or groups may pick a wine itinerary.

For safety reasons, I recommend going to Los Olivos or Solvang, and doing tastings at either ONE of those locations, since there are multiple establishments at each, and they don't require driving in between.

Personally, if I can go, I won't even decide my own tasting itinerary until the day of, if I even do any.

Well said Scott. :)

The first few years that we did this wine tour we were very well organized with a full itinerary complete with specific time alotments,
detailed list of the wineries we’de be visiting, picnic lunch locations and all the do’s and don’ts of touring and tasting.
We’de get off to a good start with a bunch of E’s in tow and stop at the first winery on the list. After that things would begin to unravel. :roll:

Like Trying to Herd Cats:
After an hour at the first stop some folks were ready to blast off to the next winery but others opted to linger longer, continue
tasting, noshing on cheese & crackers, hob nobbin around, purchasing wines and enjoying the amazing architecture.
Another problem we faced was trying to keep a herd of Elements together for extended periods of time.
(an impossible proceedure in any situation)
Tasting hours at the wineries are generally between 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM and there's way too many of them to visit during the course of a day.
Soon we realized that not everyone in the group wanted to visit the same wineries. :-o
Resulting in people splitting into sub groups, all heading off in different directions to visit other wineries, go shopping, hang around Los Olivos, visit Solvang for chocolate and strudel and eventually wind back up at the campground by late afternoon in time for evening festivities.

This is why we no longer do an organized Wine Tour w/an itinerary.
The Wine Tour now begins at one or another winery and where they go from there is generally decided on the fly.
We end up with the same results as we would if we organize a wine tour itinerary. So why bother?
This approach works out fine everytime for everyone. :grin:

Breakfast: On Saturday and always at Cold Spring Tavern ~ 9:00 AM (thereabouts)
Meet up at the campground at 8:30 or at the Tavern at 9:00
The Wine Touring begins soon after breakfast at one or several different wineries.

The beauty of Cachuma Lake, it’s campground, and all of the recreational options available (there are many) allows those of us
who are not “wine afficanados" to hang out at the lake all day and play.
This is a great meet location!
Excellent for Wine Touring and equally good for lakeside recreation and camping.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My wife and I might able to make part 2 of the wine camp. Going to coordinate with grams and look at the schedule.

Hope you go. It's always a fun time at Cachuma Lake and the wineries are nearby.

Scott's approach to wine tasting is a good idea.

However, if you've never been to any of the sprawling Estate wineries in the area you should go visit a few of them at least once.
They are tremendously beautiful. The buildings and architecture is amazing, there are awesome facility tours, great tasting and more!
Usually we're good for two wineries, spending at least an hour at each one, tasting and purchasing some reds and whites.

If you're driving the wine tour you don't have to drink the wine for tasting purposes.
But these wines are sooo good!
It seems a shame to spew it into a spit bucket. :-o

Spit. Seriously.
Sure, we may want to gulp down each and every free glass of wine at a wine tasting, but nothing leads to embarrassing moments more than getting too buzzed too quickly. If you're in a situation where spit buckets are provided, use them. You'll notice that you can still get your buzz on from the alcohol just being in your mouth alone. Place your head a couple of feet above the bucket, open your mouth gently, and let gravity do the rest. If buckets aren't available, pace your consumption.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Anyone know when you're arriving?

I think we should try for the other Barona area we stayed in before (I think it's better than the one John and I picked this last time)!

The Baron Shores spaces that are together 292 and 282 were good before. Thought I would throw that out there, I'm not sure who's getting there first.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Anyone know when you're arriving?

I think we should try for the other Barona area we stayed in before (I think it's better than the one John and I picked this last time)!

The Baron Shores spaces that are together 292 and 282 were good before. Thought I would throw that out there, I'm not sure who's getting there first.

You're referring to the two sites here in this pic.. right?
It's near to the restrooms and that trash dumpster with the pissed off skunk inside. :roll:
Not to worry - this time I won't go opening the lid and tossing a 50 lb bag of trash on it's head!
Geesh*

Heck - the adorable Racoon family lives in this area too.
Seriously though.. these are great sites!

Richelle and I will be arrivng on Thursday. If those sites are available upon arrival (they should be) we'll bag one of them.
Hope you'll bring the kids - I miss Jet and Charlie.

Dang* That You Tube, AB FAB (Absolutely Fabulous) Wine Tasting video that I posted got blocked by bozos at BBC Worldwide.
Too bad, it was soo frikkin funny!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can't wait for this next year!! My GF will finally be 21 and I can officially educate her on wines!! I've been wanting to do this for so long!!! I hope yall have a blast!

Anyone that happens to stumble upon a bottle of Firestone Cab Fran or Brander Colson Canyon Syrah... let me know ;) I need restocking haha

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I can't wait for this next year!! My GF will finally be 21 and I can officially educate her on wines!! I've been wanting to do this for so long!!! I hope yall have a blast!

Anyone that happens to stumble upon a bottle of Firestone Cab Fran or Brander Colson Canyon Syrah... let me know ;) I need restocking haha

That wouldn't stop me from going.
Heck - your GF could still do the wine tour w/out drinking..
Just eat cheese and crackers and look at the bottles. :razz:

Seriously - Aside from myself, I've no idea how many people will actually be Wine Touring.
Probably less than half of us.
The rest of the group just likes hanging out at the lake - fish, kayak, cycle, lounge around camp kickin back and getting that groove thing going.

It will be a lazy week end at Cachuma Lake (at least during the day) once the sun goes down we'll be popping corks and BBQing.
T'will be fun and anyone reading this.. should consider coming along.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thats not a bad idea, too bad she can't drive MT :(. I will look into it given the date is right around the corner!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Thats not a bad idea, too bad she can't drive MT :(. I will look into it given the date is right around the corner!
You can do PLENTY of wine tasting in just one stop, if you do Los Olivos or Solvang. Both are close. Plus, there is usually an empty seat or seats in other E's, depending on who goes where to do what.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh I know, I'm a total win-o. In the sense that I don't drink a lot of it on a nightly basis, but that I was cursed with preferring the expensive ones! Too bad my favorite bottles usually go for 100$ a pop. But I need to restock on my SB wines because I'm all out! I introduced my friend to Firestones Cab Franc and now my stock is depleted! My brander stock got destroyed in my move :(

1 - 20 of 45 Posts