Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It looks like the 2.4L engine has come to the end of the road-- The 1.5L turbo with a CVT is what you get, unless you are hankering for the hybrid version -
I retired from Chrysler in 2008- first at the engine block foundry and then at their transmission plant. We knew everything that was coming down the pipeline 3 or 4 years ahead, as the vehicle is built to fit the engine and transmission parameters. We knew in 1998 that the 4.0 L straight six we made for Jeep would be replaced with a 3.7L V-6 that was not yet ready for production-
Honda likely knew the 2.4L would be phased out at least 5 years ago- turbo with CVT was the future- They knew there would never be a new Element, as powertrain was not going to have anything to fit that concept. A toy Element perhaps, but not like our present utility vehicle.
The 1.5L turbo has the power on paper for a new Element and the CVT is rated for 1500lbs, but I doubt it will hold up like the old transmissions did-
I think our old Element is all we are going to get from Honda-

Added: the latest V6 Passport frame could have been an even bigger Element- instead, they made it into a smaller Pilot, which just poaches sales from it. They should have made that vehicle into a new Element, with plenty of room for two 6ft 2" beds in the back- space for a contractor/courier version similar to what Ford and Nissan sells and a tow rating of 3500-5000 lbs.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
It doesn't really matter any more. I've always held that Honda simply doesn't have the talent to design another Element-class vehicle. Everything they make now is a clear attempt at making a people mover and forget what the vehicle type was actually supposed to be used for. Toyota seems to be taking up the challenge -a little- but so far, they keep dropping the ball on their the best versions for multipurpose vehicles. The U-Squared would've been a worthy successor to the Element in just about every way. Instead, they used a little bit of the design to push out that FT-4 now coming out instead. On the other hand, after finally getting a chance to dig in to Honda and Toyota engineering, I'm more excited about a Toyota version than anything Honda could field anyway. Let's hope for something better than a CR-V in our lifetimes, eh?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the other hand, after finally getting a chance to dig in to Honda and Toyota engineering, I'm more excited about a Toyota version than anything Honda could field anyway. Let's hope for something better than a CR-V in our lifetimes, eh?
Honda's Earth Dreams engine technology has doomed these vehicles to an early death- I really don't see how Honda can fix this defect on the 1.5 and 2.4L engines already built since 2013- What amazes me is how this defect got through their previously rigorous engineering safeguards- was it rushed to market too fast? Like you, I hope Toyota or another manufacturer sees the value in bringing out a true utilitarian vehicle as a worthy replacement for our aging fleet of Elements.

Honda 1.5-liter, 2-liter and 2.4-liter direct injection Earth Dreams engines allegedly defective.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
added: I forgot about the CAFE factor- I wonder if the changes passed by Congress in 2007 and that took effect in 2011 ( the last year for the Element) might have discouraged automakers from producing a larger utilitarian passenger SUV. The new testing rules retroactively changed the highway rating of my 2005 Element from 26 mpg to 24 mpg--

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
For anyone who wonders, CVT = Constant Velocity Transmission.

I DID forget to mention one other thing about the Toyota designs. Honda is clearly pushing everything toward CVT's and I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable buying a vehicle with one of those things driving the wheels. Toyota, on the other hand, DOES have a decently designed CVT which has already stood a lot of use. I'd rather not have a CVT, period, but if I HAVE to, the Toyota design is the only one I'd even consider. Again, Toyota probably fields twenty of anything that Honda builds one so they have a lot more experience and customer feedback.

·
Registered
83 Posts
To me, CVTs aren’t the end of the world. Hundreds of thousands of Accords have them and every CRV since 2015.

Anecdotally, I have a 2016 CRV with 113,000 trouble free miles. Used to the “rubber band” feeling but RPMs stay low at cruise speed and it’s smooth on take off. I’ve come to accept it - it’s a Honda after all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've always held that Honda simply doesn't have the talent to design another Element-class vehicle.
They just don't make engineers like they used to-
I was working at the Turkey Point Nuclear power plant ( went online around 1971-73) south of Miami in 2012 and casually mentioned to a power company engineer (under 30)- " do you realize the engineers who designed this plant used slide rules to do it?"
he replied- " you're kidding me!" No I'm not, I told him. I had to explain that back in the early 60's we didn't even have electronic calculators, let alone desktop computers. You might be surprised how many young people have never bothered to learn the multiplication tables- and our education system passed them, anyway. Just ask anyone under 30, what 9x6 is and be prepared for - Huh?

·
Registered
573 Posts
They just don't make engineers like they used to-
I was working at the Turkey Point Nuclear power plant ( went online around 1971-73) south of Miami in 2012 and casually mentioned to a power company engineer (under 30)- " do you realize the engineers who designed this plant used slide rules to do it?"
he replied- " you're kidding me!" No I'm not, I told him. I had to explain that back in the early 60's we didn't even have electronic calculators, let alone desktop computers. You might be surprised how many young people have never bothered to learn the multiplication tables- and our education system passed them, anyway. Just ask anyone under 30, what 9x6 is and be prepared for - Huh?
Right on Xangryth! Without an electronic device in their hand, this Millennial generation doesn't know what to do with themselves! If we ever experienced a catastrophic power outage, they would probably do nothing but wander about aimlessly!

The thing that scares the Hell out of me more than anything else is: When I get too old to take care of myself, it will be this current Millennial generation that will be "caring" for me!

To quote an old Styx song from their first album: "If it's my time to die today, please God make it fast!"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To quote an old Styx song from their first album: "If it's my time to die today, please God make it fast!"
Be careful what you ask for , friend- ;)
I was at a party about 15 years ago and I commented , "When I go, I just want to die in my sleep"- everyone nodded in agreement- my wife piped up, "well, if that's what you want, I can arrange that" haha- a good laugh was had by all--
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts