Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 element ex

About a month ago after driving about 50 miles at around 70 mph the car lost power for 3 or 4 seconds. Over the next 5 miles or so it did it a few more time and then the car start jerking. Pulled off the interstate and ended up at a Honda dealer. Diagnosed as needng a purge valve. Said we could drive it realizing that it would probably happen again. Returned home and yes it did it about 10 time more. Replaced valve and then the second time I drove it on the interstate it got worse. This time my speed dropped to 20 mph during rush hour. Finally was able to pull off the interstate and then it started acting all right. Later that right I drove 35 miles returning home. It drove like it was a new car.

My local mechanic doesn't have any firm idea what the problem could be . He thinks that maybe the bearing on the crankshaft are letting oil thru thus reducing the oil pressure. The computer then is detecting a problem and shutting the engine down. It has been suggested to change the oil to 5w30 but adding the 5th quart being transmission fluid to help clear out various parts of the engine. Then change the oil and filter at 1000 miles but staying at 5w30. My mechanic says it's time to sell or get a new engine

Anyone out there ever come across this problem

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
687 Posts
Welcome aboard Jim.

Sounds like your Element is going into Limp Mode. The means due to an oil pressure problem, your engine will only go about 2800 RPM. and then it will start to cut out.

Take it to any of the big chain auto parts stores. They will do a free scan for you. Then you will know where to start.

My guess is that you have a VTEC problem; likely code P2646 or P2647.

I wish you well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard Jim.

Sounds like your Element is going into Limp Mode. The means due to an oil pressure problem, your engine will only go about 2800 RPM. and then it will start to cut out.

Take it to any of the big chain auto parts stores. They will do a free scan for you. Then you will know where to start.

My guess is that you have a VTEC problem; likely code P2646 or P2647.

I wish you well!
I failed to put in my post and didn't know how to added info after I posted original .

The 1st time it happened code was 2646. Second time it did it 2646 and then later 2446, 497 and 420

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I failed to put in my post and didn't know how to added info after I posted original .

The 1st time it happened code was 2646. Second time it did it 2646 and then later 2446, 497 and 420
that should have been 2646 not 2445

·
Registered
66 Posts
P2646 is the VTEC oil pressure switch. I wouldn't condemn the engine until you actually check the oil pressure; it could just be a bad switch - it is pretty easy to replace. I believe there is a also a screen upstream of the switch and actuator; if that is plugged, it could reduce pressure to the switch and VTEC system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Replace the oil pressure switch and then change your oil. Switch takes about 15 minutes or so. Just in a weird spot on the back of the engine. I was just going to replace the screen on mine as the seal around it was bad but was actually cheap to just replace the whole switch with the new screen that came with it. 😉

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had exact same issue and it was happening regularly and predictably at
about 65 - 70 mph after driving for about 30 min? I read in some other threads about the same issue. When was the last time you changed your oil... I changed mine and the filter and the prob went away. Really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts