Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I order these Michelin Latitude Tour Tires from The Tire Rack I'm asking if the larger sized 235/70/R16's (on my stock rims) will fit into the well without interference. They measure 29" in height and the rep @ TR doesn't show that size match for an Element. I've read your posts about different tire brands working, how about this particular tire. I am having slippage problems on wet surfaces and would like to try the wider tire. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
From what has been reported here, they will hit the wheel wells slightly on tight turns.

Dom

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It's not so much an issue of fitting in the tire well as much as if they will rub the side wall on the strut tower. With the stock size tires there is only maybe a half inch of space on the rears.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
The extra width shouldn't be a clearance issue. The Tire Rack charts will only show tire choices for the size with which the vehicle was originally equipped. I "upped" to 225/70-16s.

I don't think it will help with slippage as much as switching to a tire optimized for the road conditions you experience. I chose a touring tire because it suited the roads I expect to drive on most frequently, (and didn't see many new tires that had worse ice/rain ratings than the OEMs, ;-

I also think the moderators may be getting carried away with all the smily choices and seasonal ratings changes!! Happy Thanksgifting !!

:hol045:
:hol039:
:hol12: :hol042: :holcc2: :linus: "lucy" :pigpen: :sally: :hobbes: :cartman: :hol029: :holelf: :holxmas3:

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,693 Posts
I have the Lattitudes in 225 70 16, They are about as big as will fit. Also the odo is about 3% less than gps miles.

Great tire, less road noise, smoother ride over bumps, handle great in the wet, and the traction light hardly ever kicks on in the wet.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
The extra width shouldn't be a clearance issue. The Tire Rack charts will only show tire choices for the size with which the vehicle was originally equipped. I "upped" to 225/70-16s.
Not quite. The extra width may not be the issue, but keeping that 2nd number at a 70 could pose a problem. A 215-70-16 tire, while not only being narrower, it will also be smaller in diameter than a 235-70-16.

Check this link for the reason:
http://www.nationaltire.com/basics/default.asp

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
If I thought the Latitude Tour fit my driving needs, since it is available in 225/70-16, I'd go with that.

It's one of the tires I considered, but I couldn't justify spending twice as much as the Yokohama TRZs I bought from Discount Tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Michelin tires

Replaced my Avon 215/70/16 tires today with Michelin Latitude Tours @235/70/16 ( from the Tire Rack). I wanted to try a wider tire to try to increase my wet traction from zero (where it is now) to something a bit better, and wasn't sure if the 235's would provide adequate clearance. Thanks for all of your help on replacing with larger tire sizes. Spent hours reading your threads but was still skeptical about the wider tire size and this particular make of tire fitting correctly. So I can report today that this tire size and model clear everything perfectly. I will continue to update the traction, wear and noise specs, although on the ride home from the tire center they proved to be very quiet. Thanks again. Mick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Michelin Latitude Tour 235/70/16

Okay, I know that it's too early to provide solid feed back on a new set of tires with only 100 miles of service. However the reason that I bought the wider Michelins was for wet traction and yesterday we had 4-6" of snow. These tires, although new, performed great in the snow and later on the slushy road surfaces, and they are very quiet even at speeds over 60 mph.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

Have you had the steering cranked all the way from lock to lock yet?
If those things don't rub then I'm thinking of getting Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires in 235/70/16 when the Duelers wear out.

:domokun:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have been running Bridgestone Alenza 235/70/16 s for 2.5 years and have never had rubbing issues. Even on pot hole ridden roads and two tracks up in northern Michigan. There is no rubbing on hard U turns with the steering wheel full over. The tread pattern is comparable to the Latitude tours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No rub

When I received these tires from Tire Rack I removed one wheel from the Element took it to my installer and had them mount and balance it. If it rubbed I wanted to be able to sell the four as new not having driven on them. I then took it home and installed it in all four positions inspecting it from every angle, rotated the steering slowly from stop to stop viewing areas where I thought I might experience a problem, rocked the body, and drove over a small speed bump in my driveway. No problems what so ever.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Nice to know guys. Hopefully this info makes it into the official tire fitment thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts