Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a taller tire to increase the ground clearance for my '08 Element EX 4WD and keep the stock wheels. I've been looking at the dimensions on the Discount Tire website comparing a 235/75R 16 with the stock 215/70R 16. It looks like it might fit. I've seen one comment about a 225/75R 16 being the tallest tire that you could fit on the Element. Has anyone tried a 235/75R 16? Any rubbing or other issues?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
What tire model is available in this size, but not in 225/75 or 235/70?

Do you have access to a tire dealer who will let you change tires if one size does not work?

What roads are you thinking of driving where you need more clearance? I've driven the south side of Chelan Butte without extra tall tires.

I've learned from experience that driving skill is more important than raw clearance, especially on a car like the Element with limited articulation, and a stiff suspension. It's all about placing the tires in the right place to maximize clearance, and controlling your speed so you don't get suspension bounce.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I believe there are several posts about with folks using 235/70's without rubbing issues as long as you don't get super aggressive tread forcing blocky tread blocks against the fender wells.

In a brainstorm over the weekend driving my wife's Pilot, I may put her stock 235/70 tires on my E and get her a new set of better rubber soon. It will give me a chance to see if the feel and look will be something I want to live with before buying some real tires for the E...we're talking GoodYear Integrity's on both of these vehicles right now...eww, hate them. Dang soft sided things that they are.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I was looking at the 75's and not the 70's.

FYI Today I ordered an Injen exhaust for my Element. And I've ordered a K&N air filter. Will be curious to see what this all does to my performance and gas mileage.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Regarding performance, larger tires mean less torque - not that I could detect a 4% decrease. Larger tires might give better highway gas mileage, since they mean lower engine rpms for the same highway speed. But larger tires tend to be heavier, and less efficient due to the blockier tread.

Performance, gas mileage, and increased clearance are conflicting goals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts