Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through many of your threads that have good information regarding using the 235 width tire on the stock rims. Many of these threads were a few years old. In checking the tire manufacturers specs for the tire that interest me the 235 widths are identified for use on a minimum of 7" rims. My question to you 235'ers is have you had any issues with this width on the 16X6 stock alloys? I have narrowed down my research to two tires, either the Falken or Kumho 235-60-16. Thank you in advance,,,,,,, B~

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I have read through many of your threads that have good information regarding using the 235 width tire on the stock rims. Many of these threads were a few years old. In checking the tire manufacturers specs for the tire that interest me the 235 widths are identified for use on a minimum of 7" rims. My question to you 235'ers is have you had any issues with this width on the 16X6 stock alloys? I have narrowed down my research to two tires, either the Falken or Kumho 235-60-16. Thank you in advance,,,,,,, B~

Which Falken and Kumho were you looking at in particular?

·
Registered
157 Posts
what exactly are you trying to accomplish by putting that wide of a tire on a skinny rim?

·
Registered
662 Posts
That tall of tire will give more sidewall roll and your speedometer will read much slower than you are actually going.

I don't know if the Element speedometer can be reprogrammed like I did on my Chevy truck.

You might get more straight run ride comfort, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That tall of tire will give more sidewall roll and your speedometer will read much slower than you are actually going.
I was planning to go on 10mm wider (which is also 7mm taller), and found from the specs at tirerack that I'd be going from 750 revs per mile down to 739. The rule of thumb I've heard is that a 1 1/2% difference isn't bad. However, going that extra 10 mm from 215/70 to 235/70 will cause proportionately larger distortion, and may even confuse your ECU's programmed shift points.

·
Registered
70 Posts
your speedometer will read much slower than you are actually going.
Sorry hotrodder, I mean no disrespect, but this is false.
I'm running 235/70/16 Toyo A/T's. No problems whatsoever. I have a friend who's a state trooper and I asked him to clock me with my cruise set at 60mph. He clocked me at 60 on the dot. Then we ran it back 2 more times just to verify.
The only thing I'm worried about is if I have to chain up in the mountain passes. Not much room in there. But in 3 seasons I've never had to chain up. Gotta love AWD. Well, RTAWD anyways.

Go for it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Our Element has always read 62mph when actually it was going 59mph, this since new (and great for avoiding tickets.)

I would be very interested to find out what sends the signal to the speedometer. I'll research it or maybe someone can jump in and tell us.

The old school (old car) rule was larger tire = slower speedometer and smaller tire = faster speedometer.

These digital signal speedometers, computerized ABS, computerized transmission shift control and computerized AWD function control are admittedly above my learned level.

I'm always interested in learning something new. ;-)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just put a set of 235/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor all terrains on my stock steelies. They're extremely quiet considering the aggressive tread and provide a really nice ride in comparison to my previous stock size tires. Handling and road-holding capability on curves got worse, though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been running 235/60 16s since about a month after I bought my E. I've never had an issue and just bought a set of Assurance Tripletreds to replace my Yoko Avid TRZs which I put 30k on (no they aren't down to the wear bars yet, but I drive it like I stole it:cool: )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks....& reply to as many as I can at once.

Owners,
I want to go to a wider tire, because with the manual trans., Geolanders, 215-70-16 the traction is pooor.
The Falken 512 or 912 or Kunho KH all have very good traction rating, and comments by users on this sight. I am leaning towards the Falken because of the better tread wear factor.
The size that I am looking at is 235-60-16, which is slightly smaller than the stock size. So when the speedometer reads 60 mph, I will actually be going 58.4 mph. I have no concern for this small degree of inaccuracy.
My only concern was that the manufacturers recommend a 7" wide rim with the 235. 6" rims are fine up to 225. From what others have shared on this sight it seems that the 10mm additional width is popular. And,,,,,I'm looking for the most traction that I can get.
Sway bars and springs may be another step, but for now I would like to work with the easiest possibilities 1st.
Thanks, B~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
"like I stole it"

Perro, Thanks for letting me know which tire(s) you are using. I will do some more comparing. Sounds like we have similar driving habits. I live near Oakland, I drive to keep it from being stolen.
B~

I've been running 235/60 16s since about a month after I bought my E. I've never had an issue and just bought a set of Assurance Tripletreds to replace my Yoko Avid TRZs which I put 30k on (no they aren't down to the wear bars yet, but I drive it like I stole it:cool: )

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
My only concern was that the manufacturers recommend a 7" wide rim with the 235. 6" rims are fine up to 225. From what others have shared on this sight it seems that the 10mm additional width is popular. And,,,,,I'm looking for the most traction that I can get.
A 235-60 tire won't actually be as wide when mounted on a 6" rim as it would be on a 7"rim. It will "be" wider (and sit properly...full tread width flat on road surface) on a wider rim. That (and safety in extreme cases...255/65s on a 5-1/2" rim :twisted: ) are the reasons for the manufacturers recomendations.

A 225 might end up almost as wide by the time everything is mounted.

Have you considered a 235-65 ?

BTW...the factory 215s are narrower than most replacement 215s by many accounts.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Many EOC members have switched to 235/70/16 tires using the stock rims. These are about 4% larger in diameter, and also in circumference. That means the speedometer will read 4% lower than with 215s. As mentioned, in some cases that might actually put you right on the money, since the speedometer, with stock tires, seems to run a bit high.

235/60/16 tires are a bit smaller than stock in diameter. For years, Toyota offered this size as the 'sport' alternative to 215/70/16 tires on their RAV4. These should fit the 6.5 width rims. The 'spec' table from the tire manufacturer gives a 'measured rim width' and 'allowable rim range'. If mounted on the 'measured' rim, the tires will have the maximum width specified in the table (which rounded off should be 235mm). If mounted on narrower rims, this width will be a bit less. Some tables give a ratio, for example 2mm less for 1/2" less in rim width.

With a lower profile, 60% tires might have higher rim width numbers than 70% tires - that is, there is less taper from maximum to rim.

Whether wider tires will give you more traction is debatable. They will change the shape of the footprint, making it wider, but they will not necessarily increase the area. The area depends more on the vehicle weight and the tire pressure. Traction also depends on the tread and the tire compound. There are lots of tradeoffs. Smoother tread may give better dry traction, but not as good wet. Bigger grooves evacuate water, and give better snow traction. More grooves (edges) give better ice traction. Softer compound gives better traction on dry (and in cold weather), but reduces tread life.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Owners,
I want to go to a wider tire, because with the manual trans., Geolanders, 215-70-16 the traction is pooor.
The Falken 512 or 912 or Kunho KH all have very good traction rating, and comments by users on this sight. I am leaning towards the Falken because of the better tread wear factor.
The size that I am looking at is 235-60-16, which is slightly smaller than the stock size. So when the speedometer reads 60 mph, I will actually be going 58.4 mph. I have no concern for this small degree of inaccuracy.
Sway bars and springs may be another step, but for now I would like to work with the easiest possibilities 1st.
Thanks, B~
The 912 is a great tire. The 235/60R16's are recommended for a 6.5" wide wheel at the min. Mounting them on your 6" wide wheels would void the tires warranty. I would recommend the 225/65R16 instead. This would be approved for your 6" wide wheels, it would give you added traction over your stock tires and your tires 65,000 mile warranty would still apply.

The Falken 912 won't be found in this size on our website but if you are interested in them we may be able to order them in for you. Please call us at 1.888.459.4080 for an accurate price and ETA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run 235-65 on stock wheels, no problems, much better handling. Fuel mileage suffered a bit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts