Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I completed a long trip (3003 miles total) which was a lot different in driving type (mostly Interstate highway with the A/C off and lower temperature/humidity) compared to my usual driving type (Mixture of FL highway/city, A/C on constantly and high temperature/humidity).

My average over 12 tankfuls: 24.25 MPG.

That's quite a bit better than the usual 21 - 23 MPG I get here in FL.

Here are some of my observations:

1). Driving slower will definitely improve your Highway MPG. Here's where the Elements lack of aerodynamics come into play. On 2 fill ups where I was mostly driving through the corn fields in Indiana at ~ 60MPH I got over 26 MPG! That's about 2 MPG or more better than going 75 - 80 MPH on the Interstates with the same weather conditions. So yes it's definitely possible to get that 26 MPG Highway that the Elements were rated at when new. But, this was the first time I got that high of an MPG number.

2). Running the A/C constantly will cost at least 1 MPG, and probably more during the usual 95 degree and 95% humidity we get here in the FL summer. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait at least 4 months before I can even think about turning off the A/C! : - (

So after owning my Element for just over 1 year now, I know what to expect! It's still not as good in MPG than I hoped for at first, but it's OK! : - )

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
te1966, You florida guys have it made with the flat driving. Hehehe. All kidding aside, glad your road trip went well. These cars are a bit boxy " A bit", and we knew that the gas milage wasn't as good as a more streamlined vehicle , but look what we get. I think it's worth the lesser gas milage to have a car that is this versatile , don't you.

·
Registered
308 Posts
te1966, You florida guys have it made with the flat driving. Hehehe. All kidding aside, glad your road trip went well. These cars are a bit boxy " A bit", and we knew that the gas milage wasn't as good as a more streamlined vehicle , but look what we get. I think it's worth the lesser gas milage to have a car that is this versatile , don't you.
Drove a Prius for 5 years... now I own two Elements. The Element gets half the mpg of what my Prius got. Gas has stayed below $3 a gal for the past 3 years however and I am not sure how high the price of gas would have to go before I would miss my Prius. Probably between the 5 and 6 dollar range I think.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks zenbuilder, and yes that's a good way to look at our Elements; the MPG is a small price to pay for the versatility! : - )

Most of the Florida peninsula is very flat, but there is a stretch of about 10 miles on I-75 where there are some definite hills. It's about 40 miles North of Tampa.

In Northern Indiana, where I went on my trip, it is seriously flat too! But driving mostly through those corn fields at ~ 60 MPH with no A/C on got the best MPG numbers I have experienced so far!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did the NJ to Florida trip quite a few times. In a 2003 EX auto AWD I got 28 mpg when driving nicely. If I was really really pushing it 22-24 mpg. Those were just the highway miles with AC on full blast and hand calculated. City miles always seem to be 20-22 mpg for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a hypermiler I strive for maximum mpg. I own my 2006 stickshift AWD Element since 2013, drive it only in summer and achieved up to now a overall mpg of 31.88 (best 34.5 / worst 28.3). Maximum miles per tank: 578. It's all about HOW you drive. Brain and right foot determine mpg and range. It's worth to check the 100 tips of hypermiling at www.ecomodder.com if you really wanna increase mpg.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just did a little 'experiment' with my healthy 'stock' AWD 2005 EX, just hit 100k miles. SSD roof rails, no rack. FS Destination LE2s, stock size.

40 identical 133 mile roundtrips, 20 gas fills, same station, same pump, fill to click. One third of the drive is hilly and rural, 59 mph, two 7% hills, one steep enough to be into vtec territory. One third pretty flat freeway, avg. speed including construction zones 65 MPH. One third urban boulevard, 5 or 6 stoplights, avg speed 35 mph. AC used about a third of the time, July and August. I'm neither a featherfoot nor a leadfoot.

5320 flawless miles in all (Thank you E) with an overall mpg average of 27.36 mpg. Pretty tightly clustered, +/- 1 mpg or so. Sort of a sick version of an EPA drive cycle but ya do what ya have to...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was looking through the paperwork the previous owner gave me and noticed the original Hwy mileage was indeed 26mpg- the EPA ratings were later lowered on older cars - it's now 21/19/24.
My 2018 Corolla is rated 32 comb and 36 hwy- on a 2000 mile trip I averaged 40.2 mpg and our combo driving is 33.1. I used to get 55-60 mpg with my 2007 Toyota Prius, by judicious use of the gas pedal, which was quite a bit more than the epa rating.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Only $18,735 what a deal! Seems like cars/suv prices are creeping towards the 30k price. Ill keep my Element even with the poor mpg. We average 42mpg on our VW Jetta Diesel, 26ish on my wifes SUV, and almost 15mpg in my Tundra double cab.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Any new car under $20K is a value priced vehicle today!
I think the prices of good used Elements will not go down, but increase in the future as the fleet numbers dwindle-
While the gas mileage is not stellar, the utility factor makes up for that. I have rescued some great curbside finds with my Element that I would have had to pass up with my previous Chevy HHR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts