Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
The wife and I just three day old owners of a 2010 4WD Alabaster Silver LX and love it so far. We had looked at a Subaru Outback (didn't like it), a Volvo CX70 (liked it, but didn't want to spend the money), and after looking at the Element, it just seemed to fit what we wanted and how we wanted to play. We have two Golden Retrievers and spent a lot of time in the woods.

Ordered some endura seat covers, a full rear floor mat, a K&N air filter element...... looking at some Thule parts, but need to wait a bit.

Anyway, great site and looking forward to reading up and getting into the woods.

J and H

·
Registered
13 Posts
where'd you get the seat covers? have you received them yet? if so, how is the fit? I'm looking for some dark seat covers for at least the front seats, I went with the PMM paint and am quickly finding that the lighter interior is no good for construction workers like myself. :roll:

·
Registered
29 Posts
excellent choice...we just picked ours up a couple of weeks ago, and also have two GR's....this is our 2nd element, and the entry/exit for dogs is the best I have seen in any vehicle.

also, we looked at several alternatives(Pilot, Wrangler Unlimited, Toyota CJ). not a single one has the amount of rear seat leg room as the element. Our dogs can actually spin around in the floor space back there-it's amazing, and well worth the sometime cumbersome suicide door setup to get that much floor space.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seat Covers: http://www.gtcovers.com/

They are a bit expensive, but with as messy as our dogs are and as wet as they get (as do my wife and I) when we are outdoors, I figured it was worth the investement.

Haven't received them yet, but if you'd like I will post on the fitment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aren’t the front side air bags integrated into the front seats?
If so, am wondering how seat covers on the front seats would impact the performance of the seat air bags.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When ordering, it asks if you have integrated seat belts and airbags. I can only assume by them asking, they work that into their end product. I believe there is some sort of break-away in the fabric.

I'll let you know when I get them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mods, although minor, have started. Received and installed my K&N filter element today. Hey, have to start somewhere. Might as well be an easy one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GT seat covers came into today. Lightning fast order and shipping, ordered on Apr 6 and received 4/13. They are supposed to be custom made to order (not stocked on the shelf as a COTs item). Even beat Ursa and South Coast on their shipping and I think those are off the shelf items.

I'll write up a review and post in the interior section. A+ so far, at least with order time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seat cover installation is a bit of challenge.

Also wanted to give first week and a half mpg numbers. Just over a thousand miles to date and.....

First fill up: 24 mpg
Second fill up: 25 mpg (included a 90 mile trip to Birmingham)

Not to bad. Just FYI. I am firm believer, after 10 years as an auto engineer in Detroit, in changing the oil after the first 500 to 600 miles to give the rings a chance to seat and get rid of all the new engine microscopic junk. Changed it at 646 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Seat cover installation is a bit of challenge.

Also wanted to give first week and a half mpg numbers. Just over a thousand miles to date and.....

First fill up: 24 mpg
Second fill up: 25 mpg (included a 90 mile trip to Birmingham)

Not to bad. Just FYI. I am firm believer, after 10 years as an auto engineer in Detroit, in changing the oil after the first 500 to 600 miles to give the rings a chance to seat and get rid of all the new engine microscopic junk. Changed it at 646 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic.
Button up your "flame suit" for the flack many Honda guys are going to give you over that "early" oil change. Some are CONVINCED that the Honda break in oil is some magical substance necessary for long engine life and/or that synthetic oil so early is BooJoo bad for your engine.

Just a "duck and cover" from me as I am right there with you on the oil change. My wife bought a new 2009 CR-V and I changed to Mobil 1 @ 800 miles as I have done with every new car and Motorcycle I bought in the last 22 or so years. Every vehicle went over 130,000 miles without issue and two of the motorcycles are nearing 200,000miles each.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Do the home depot grill guard! That should be the first mod on everyone's list. It can save you more than 1,000$

Dom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and this is a free country. I am a firm believer in to each his own.

I've never worked with Honda Engineers, but like I said for 10 years being an Engineer myself as a supplier to FoMoCo, it was our standard practice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do the home depot grill guard! That should be the first mod on everyone's list. It can save you more than 1,000$

Dom

OK, being a newb here.... you're gonna have to fill me in on that one. I did a search and nothing popped out at me as to what that is. Got Linky?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome to the E-dom!

I'd like to learn more about your seat cover install, so please post details and the challenge you mentioned. The seat side airbags need to work just in case, so I, too, want to know if the application is specific for our front seats.

Since Mobil-1 is the factory fill on the RDX and I have used it for many of my rides, good for you! I think that oil plays a big part in your mpg results thus far and I, too, believe there is nothing magical about the oil Honda puts into a new E. Go for it!

As for the Home Depot grille thing, well, around here Home Depot doesn't carry Gutter Guard so I got mine from Lowe's. It's a roll of vinyl mesh intended to prevent leaf and debris build-up in gutters. It also doubles as A/C condenser protection when applied to the lower grille of the E. It's very easily installed with zip ties to the back of the grille.

If you do a bit of searching, you will find how easily the front end cap can be removed for this and other mods. I did the grille guard, horn upgrade and fog light install at the same time. If you're friends with your tools, piece of cake. Have fun!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
The mods, although minor, have started. Received and installed my K&N filter element today. Hey, have to start somewhere. Might as well be an easy one.
Be careful about the K&N air filter. They do flow a tad more air mass than a dirty paper filter, but they flow more dirt also, reducing oil life. And sometimes oil, if the filter is new and a tad wet, gets on the MAF sensor wires, and can mess with drivability. And if you had a lean engine condition from this, and burned a piston (it's rare but has happened), forget the Honda engine warranty. A lot of negatives for maybe a HP or two....and then only at very high RPM. I know they have a "cult" type following, but the days of using an oiled gauze filter, and intruducing oil into the air intake path, are over. I can't think of a single reason to use a K&N filter on an Element. I don't know any other way to say it....sorry. I would still use one, and have, in a special situation, like a supercharged 500 HP Mustang or something like that. Where it's hard to find a paper filter in the size you need. BTW....properly sized clean paper filters flow all the air an engine needs.....900 HP NASCAR cars use paper filters. FYI We love our new Element also. They serve a need other vehicles don't cover we think.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was finally able to spend some time finishing the installation of the GT seat covers. I will type up a review and post it in the interior section.

Also, I have the Ursa slot covers and the SouthCoast rear mat in the E. The all weather mats are in the mail and I ordered half of my Yakima wish list last night.

The Ursa covers are nicely done. They are not rubber, but look like Gel-Coat of something similar. They are glossy and not matt (I don't really mind, but my wife was quick to point that out to me).

The SouthCoast full length rear mat fits like a glove, great quality and also is nicely done. One note, if you order just a rear mat, they have to make it special order as they only keep full sets in stock. Took an extra 1.5 weeks, but well worth the wait. My only regret, if I would have known they are special order, I probably would have ordered it without the cut outs for the rear seat slots.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts