Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is having 2WD a big factor in resale for the E? I have an 2007 LX 2WD with 29,000 miles on it. I plan on keeping it another few years until I hit 100,000 miles (and probably a few more). I live in Nevada now but am planning to return to my home state of Pennsylvania in the next year.

I have 2 questions:

1. Should I regret having bought the 2WD? Being honest, it was all I could afford at the time. I have heard I will be in bad shape when I go to trade it in (in several years) for a new Honda. All this because of 2WD? I'm worried.

2. I have lots of experience driving in the PA snow, but always in a 4x4. How is the 2WD in the snow?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I have 2 questions:

1. Should I regret having bought the 2WD? Being honest, it was all I could afford at the time. I have heard I will be in bad shape when I go to trade it in (in several years) for a new Honda. All this because of 2WD? I'm worried.
This is total utter BS! The 2WD is supposed to get better gas mileage than the AWD and this effects resale more than anythng.

2. I have lots of experience driving in the PA snow, but always in a 4x4. How is the 2WD in the snow?
Put four snow tires on it and you won't know the difference.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have heard that some dealers in my area (chicagoland) that they send the 2wd trade-ins off to auction. I would see if you can get any info off the internet for the east coast on 2wd Elements. Hell call some dealers out there and chat with them. Tell them you moving out there and what you have. Ask them to give you some idea of value vs 4wd. I would rather have the 4wd myself with less mpg than 2wd in the chicago winter. We ether have no snow or a sh*t load with ice storms! Its not that bad about 17-18 mpg around town.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
... The 2WD is supposed to get better gas mileage than the AWD and this effects resale more than anythng.
Actually, no, the OP deduces correctly. Do the research - you will discover that the 2WD version of any SUV model mostly sold in 4WD will suffer disproportionally in resale. 1 or 2 mpg difference on the original sticker won't make for a hill of beans.

If this is truly a concern, then sell it before you leave Vegas. 2WD is mostly a "don't care" there (even tho' it still affects resale!), you will have a very hard time trying to dispose of it anywhere it snows.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Bring it down here and sell it. The dealers like to say four wheel drive vehicles are unwanted here. Car salesman, realtors and attorneys-----Club BS. :razz:

Seriously, being that it is still a front wheel drive, you should be fine selling it in snow country or anywhere else.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
OK, I just ran the numbers via KBB...

On a trade-in, you lose an immediate 3% by virtue of market difference. Used vehicles have less residual value in snow areas due to the obvious. That yours has a desert heritage wouldn't make any difference, they will be shooting from the book (and then low-balling you from there!).

One thing that did surprise me was that there was NO disproportionate loss in value due to 2WD, so your concerns should be diminished on that. There was a 6% differential, which, within a few bucks, is about what the differential was when new. That's interesting to me because this definitely isn't the case on domestic SUVs - you take a huge hit on, say, a 2WD Escape vs. the 4x4. If they give you a song and dance on trade-in about a 2WD being worth nothing in the market, it's BS, tell them to show you the book.

Bottom line? Don't worry about it. If you decide you'll be more comfortable with a 4WD version of [whatever] when you get there, you shouldn't be unduly penalized for trading-in a 2WD.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thank you to all the replies. I know the 2WD vs AWD is a difference on some brands, but it doesn't look like so much on Honda. Living in the desert, I didn't even consider the AWD.

We just traded in a 97 Accord and got $2000 for it! The car didn't even start, the driver seat fell out, had 120,000 miles, no paint left on the hood etc. This car was beat up bad. I couldn't believe it. And it was even better that it was my wife's ex's car.

I have no intention of giving up my 2WD and don't think it will be a problem to sell in a few years. I don't think at that age it will make a big difference and I know I will keep it unitl I hit at least 100,000 miles.

I have a nice set of General tires on it now and will beef up to a winter set in PA. The Generals might even do the job as they are listed as a light snow tire.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thank you to all the replies. I know the 2WD vs AWD is a difference on some brands, but it doesn't look like so much on Honda. Living in the desert, I didn't even consider the AWD.

We just traded in a 97 Accord and got $2000 for it! The car didn't even start, the driver seat fell out, had 120,000 miles, no paint left on the hood etc. This car was beat up bad. I couldn't believe it. And it was even better that it was my wife's ex's car.

I have no intention of giving up my 2WD and don't think it will be a problem to sell in a few years. I don't think at that age it will make a big difference and I know I will keep it unitl I hit at least 100,000 miles.

I have a nice set of General tires on it now and will beef up to a winter set in PA. The Generals might even do the job as they are listed as a light snow tire.

Related story? :razz:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts