Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am going up to a campground near Pismo Beach, CA this month and was wondering if my 2004 2wd auto E would be able to drive out onto the dunes? I am not looking to off road, just to drive out onto the beach (which is allowed in Pismo). Any tips or insight?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never been off roading before so i am not sure what a comealong is. I was going to bring a shovel and some 2x4's

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
As Ramblerdan mentions:

- Air down the tires for an expanded and variable contact patch from the tires...ie keeps them from digging down vs grabbing and staying on top of the sand more
- Tow straps: Keep some in the back of your E
- Come Along or Hi Lift Jack...see here
- Shovel and the 2x4's wouldn't hurt...the jack will make a lot more possible.
- A buddy in another vehicle is always one of the best things you can have around for any off road trip.

The 2wd will do decently if you keep a steady and moderately slow pace...and keep your eyes peeled for the best route(s) obviously. But, in really soft dune like sand, there's only so much even a 4x4 will do without a lot of clearance underneath.

Good luck and have fun. Pics are required!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
before you enter, and pay your day use fee, check out the beach just beyond the guard shack. that is generally the worst part of the beach as it gets all churned up by the 4x4 crowd. if it looks like some of those youtube videos (deep water, deep mud), stay out.
you should air down to ~15 before going onto the sand, and for all 4 tires. when you return to pavement, drive slowly to the gas station of your choice to pump them back up. there's a gas station that seems to cater to folks pumping the tires back up, on the south side of the main drag to the beach in Arroyo Grande. multiple hoses and space at the back of their lot, and for free.
w/ FWD, you'll probably be restricted to the beach area and not make it up onto the dunes. but it's a fairly long drive along the water, keep the speed down, especially if they have the radar sign working. the restriction is not legal, just based on traction, as the entrance to the dunes is uphill in churned softer sand.
w/ AWD, we've surprised some ATVs way back in the dunes.
have fun, and it's best to go w/ another vehicle.
be courteous and friendly to others, you never know when you may need their help.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sand

If you have these items mentioned as a precaution you'll be ok, you should have no problems even if you have a 2wd. The beach sand over there is pretty packed so you will be able to drive on the sand just fine. I once did it with a packed lowered car and it was 2wd without deflating the tires. Just don't get in to the really sandy areas or too near the surf water.

As Ramblerdan mentions:

- Air down the tires for an expanded and variable contact patch from the tires...ie keeps them from digging down vs grabbing and staying on top of the sand more
- Tow straps: Keep some in the back of your E
- Come Along or Hi Lift Jack...see here
- Shovel and the 2x4's wouldn't hurt...the jack will make a lot more possible.
- A buddy in another vehicle is always one of the best things you can have around for any off road trip.

The 2wd will do decently if you keep a steady and moderately slow pace...and keep your eyes peeled for the best route(s) obviously. But, in really soft dune like sand, there's only so much even a 4x4 will do without a lot of clearance underneath.

Good luck and have fun. Pics are required!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Don't Do It.

You'll get stuck with-in the 1st 100 feet and then spend the next 2 hours trying to get back to the pavement.

I rather not discuss the "How would you know that?" :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts