Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just purchased out 07 SC about a month ago. At first I thought it was the shape of the E being blown around, but after a month I notice that the front end feels like it "floats" around on the highway. Even my wife notices this and she'll barely notices these types of things.

I got to thinking, wheel alignment? tires? worn pieces?
The E is in tiptop shape with just over 33k on the clock, so worn pieces isn't an issue. I checked the shocks for oil leaking and they're fine. Tires and alignment are both freshly done too.

After being on EOC for the last month, I see that this is not just something I notice, but rather a more common comment about the E.

Has anyone been able to come up with a real world solution?

Ideas to try:
1) After reading a little more on the SC I noticed Honda uses a installed a larger rear-anti-swaybar, maybe this is what makes the front end feel like it floats a little. So maybe install a larger front bar?

2) Would a more "specialized" 4-wheel alignment work, maybe a tad more/less aggressive than factory (But not too much to make tires wear funny).

3) Mod the tire pressures w/in their "normal" range to gain more stability?

Again, this isn't a huge issue, more an annoying issue like driving your gramps old Buick that feels like it's forever wandering.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The boxy shape has something to do with it. I found a change in the tires made the biggest difference on our E's. When we put the Nokian WR SUVs on the wifes E, all the drifting around in the lane went away. I have Forteras on mine, and it's a slight improvement from the stock tires, but no comparison to the solid road feel provided by the Nokians.

So my first recommendation to you would be to change the tires.

Dom

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
My first recommendation to you would be to get an alignment.

If the situation persists then go for new tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't have an SC, just a regular 2WD E, but the OEM tires--which i changed at 30k--definitely made the front of the E feel light on its feet. I swapped the tires over to BFGs and that made it much more sure footed.

Two other thoughts:
1. there might be too much air in the front tires
2. even at 30k, especially if you bought her used, the car could still have worn out parts...

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
. Tires and alignment are both freshly done too.

That was my first thought also Gary, But I had to consider that he is telling us the truth in his original post. See above.

Dom

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
That was my first thought also Gary, But I had to consider that he is telling us the truth in his original post. See above.
Whoops.

After being on EOC for the last month, I see that this is not just something I notice, but rather a more common comment about the E.
I don't experience this problem. Our E rides and steers so nice it has become our "vacation car".

Again, this isn't a huge issue, more an annoying issue like driving your gramps old Buick that feels like it's forever wandering.
Wow, I couldn't in my wildest dreams describe our E as riding like a Buick.

Mod the tire pressures w/in their "normal" range to gain more stability?
I'd give that a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My guess is it could be....arrrrgggghhh...I had something similar in a '98 Nissan Pathfinder SE(SE had stiffer suspension...but not SC stiff). I want to say it is the strut. When I would hit a bump, the front passenger side of the vehicle would bounce up and down a more than usual, and for longer, before settling back to it's 'normal' place. When parked, everything looked fine. The suspension for the SC is more firm, but if you go to each corner of the car, and find a place to safely push down so the that corner of your E can be made to bounce up and down as much as possible, it shouldn't take more than one or two bounces to right itself. If it is taking more, you probably need a new strut. Does it seem to be happening when you hit some kind of smaller bump at highway speeds?

Is your tire pressure 34-36PSI?

·
Registered
107 Posts
front

This was not a problem with my 05 LX But I had the same problem with my 07 EX. It was loose in the front the whole time I own it. I just drove it, thinking it was normal.But my 08 LX was better, but not great. Now I have a 10 LX and it drive great not loose it is planted the Best(all 4 of them I was the first owner)8)

·
Registered
104 Posts
If everything else is OK, try adding air to rear....loosening it up. (or lower fronts to improve bite) May help make the car better balanced. I imagine that is reason behind 33F-35R recommended cold setting. Tire tread design can affect this also.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
So we just purchased out 07 SC about a month ago. At first I thought it was the shape of the E being blown around, but after a month I notice that the front end feels like it "floats" around on the highway. Even my wife notices this and she'll barely notices these types of things.

I got to thinking, wheel alignment? tires? worn pieces?
The E is in tiptop shape with just over 33k on the clock, so worn pieces isn't an issue. I checked the shocks for oil leaking and they're fine. Tires and alignment are both freshly done too.

Has anyone been able to come up with a real world solution?
I'm curious what you mean by "tires freshly done." Do you have either the Goodyear Wrangler HP tires or Uniroyal Tigerpaws on your Element? If that's the case, the only thing you can really do to fix it is replace them with something else.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been a few months & I've grown used to it. We haven't changed anything up yet and haven't played with PSI either.

The tires being "freshly done" was my way of saying that they are brand new and are not cupped, etc. They are Kuhmo's I think, I can't remember off the top of my head.

We have about 4k on the E since taking ownership, so I'll be looking for wear patterns, etc & adjusting PSI accordingly.

If all else fails, we have a great alignment shop in town & I will hit them up, tell them the issue and see if they can make adjustments (within specs) to counter the lively/float in the front end.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Well, mine was definitely the tires (OEM Goodyear Wranglers) and the symptoms were that the "floating" wasn't noticeable at slower speeds at all, but rapidly grew past 50mph or more. 60mph was a challenge and 65 was a white knuckle test of skill to see if you could stay on the road at all. 70 would probably be suicide. Turned out that the wheel alignment was fine but the Goodyear sidewalls flex too much to travel in a straight line. Kumho I'm not familiar with but a switch to Yokohama Geolanders completely cured it. My opinion after experience with both tires is the the OEM Goodyear Wrangler HP's and the Uniroyal Tigerpaws are probably the poorest quality tires sold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
wandering e

what have you all figured out on wandering Elements?
My 04 AWD E wanders terribly.
I'm surprised i have not been pulled over.
The car has 100,000 miles on it now.
I've owned it since it had about 25,000 miles and stock goodyears.
I put on Dueller AT's at 40,000 miles. (great but noisy on the E)
The wandering has become progressively worse since around 60,000 miles.
I had Toyo Open Country HT's put on at around 85,000 thinking that the Dueller AT's were the problem. No noticeable improvement at highway speed.
3 alignments at two different places i trust (only minor adjustments were made)
I suspect the rear struts are the culprit but the tire and alignment shops don't seem to think that could cause it to wander.
i did replace the rear sway bar bushings. that helped a little "maybe".
i feel like i get a lot of bump steer.
when the wind blows, I usually will not go over 60 on the interstate.
the tires are all wearing well and have been all along.
otherwise i love my E.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The wind has always been a challenge with the E, but it wasn't this bad in it's earlier days. I've been driving it for 75,000 miles. Since the struts have 100K on them, i wonder if they're letting the wind "lean" the car over side to side more.
It really wears me out to keep it going straight.
I can't imagine taking it on a long trip right now.

I'm gonna order some KYB struts for the rear to start with, since the original struts have 100K on them anyway.

i'll report back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts