Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firs off, sorry if this is a re-post. Went looking, but did not find anything.

I am sold on the EX, but I am not sure about the 2wd or 4wd. I have only test driven the 4wd.

I live in Houston, TX, so NO SNOW, and no hills.

The sun roof is a mixed blessing. it gets real hot here, so better without it, but it is nice.

Is there any other differences?
Is there more power in the 2wd?
What about reliability and maintenance?
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
68 Posts
I personally think you'd but crazy to get AWD in Texas on this vehicle.
Ask yourself this: Can you ever remember a time when you NEEDED it?
Freak snow storms every 5 years aside I'm betting you'd NEVER need it, so why pay for it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have AWD but live in Canada so my needs are different.

In your case I would go for the 2WD and opt to put in an aftermarker sun roof that is powered. I truly wish I could just touch a button and be able to operate the roof.

The stereo system is great though.

I suspect that this time next year there will be a number of different replacement panels availble to customize.

I've bad mine since March 31, I have 20,000 KM (17,500 miles) on it and its great. Did an 9,000 KM tril in it this summer across Canada.

The AWD in snow is perfect for me but I suspect that when it snows in Texas nobody in on the road anyway....

·
Registered
4 Posts
i dont know what your plans are for the future of the car, but if u dont plan on keeping it forever i would get a 4wd, 2wd are harder to sell. It may save money right now but in the long run you will only be helping yourself

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So there is a weight difference. I guess this does translate into some kind of performance difference.

I am actually from Canada. Vancouver. If I was there then I would buy the 4WD for sure.

I am leaning towards the 2WD now.

ERider, as far as I know, the stereo is the same in the 2WD EX and the 4WD EX. I believe the only difference is the sun roof. Can anyone confirm this.

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you are keeping the car forever, then i would go with the 2WD.

If you are going to resell it or trade it in, then i would get the 4WD. <Since you are in TX, i don't think people will spend an extra $1,200 when you don't have snow or hills>.

2WD you get a little bit more pep because less weight. Also the 2WD is little less maintenance because you don't have to fix the 4WD system if it breaks down :D

P.S. 2WD a tad better in gas mileage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
[quote:95d4ec6751="Zm4019"]i dont know what your plans are for the future of the car, but if u dont plan on keeping it forever i would get a 4wd, 2wd are harder to sell. It may save money right now but in the long run you will only be helping yourself[/quote:95d4ec6751]

I wholeheartedly disagree. I don't think you'll have any problems selling a 2wd Element in Texas. I think you WOULD have trouble selling an AWD one there though.
You'd be paying more for the initial buy-in, more for fuel, and more for maintenance. All for something you don't need and might get $500 more out of than a 2WD counterpart in 5 years.

Nope, I'd get the 2wd and put the money saved into accessories. Maybe a better-than-Honda stereo, tinted windows, plus-1 sized wheels and tires for improved looks, a hood deflector/protector, etc... i.e. some things I'd actually use and enjoy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i'd go with 2wd as well.
i live in nc and get about 3-4 days of snow per year. the 2wd is initially less expensive, lighter (therefore perhaps slightly better on fuel economy) and will cost less to insure (insurance companies take the stand that someone driving a 4wd or awd vehicle is more likely to get into situations that could cause damage than someone with a 2wd vehicle). over the life of the car, the savings could be rather significant.
the sunroof is strictly a matter of personal preference. my wife wanted it, i saw it as a hassle (it has to be totally removed to open it up) and it requires an accessory cover that someone on either this forum or "the other" element forum described as looking like a diaper.
and of course, since this is my opinion, it's worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If money's no object, and your insecure about it, go all the way!
I personally live in snowy Ontario, I have a 2wd 5spd.
Only one wheel will spin at a time, the AWD has a couple of more
choices, (and not 100%) but where's all the weight?
They both have the same ground clearance, thats a major factor.
If the "e" was rear wheel drive, I may have opted for AWD.
You didn't mention about auto vs. manual, I think you'll find
the 2wd, 5spd a much sportier vehicle in character.
Resale in Texas would be to your profit with 2wd!
I doubt that there would be more than $500 difference in resale
value between the two, if that.
I guess an automatic would be easier to sell.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Go with the 4WD, or I should say Real-Time 4WD. It could come in handy in rain storms or whatever. The cost increase is not that great. I don't think it is that much heavier. The manual will be sportier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I am definitely going for an automatic. Part of the reason I am buying a new car is because I don't want to drive a stick in traffic. I am sorry to say, but I don't at all consider the E to be "sporty". I currently drive a 210 hp GTI. Compared to that, the E is more like an Elephant :p.

As far as resale goes, I don't give that much consideration when I buy a car. I buy a car for me, not for the next guy. I am pretty sure the difference in price between a 4wd and a 2wd will be LESS then the new price difference.

Before I posted, I was leaning toward a 4wd. Now, I am pretty sure I will go with a 2wd.

Now, the color :?:

Actually, my color preference is (in order): Blue, Green, Orange.

I like the orange and the green, but I am afraid I will get sick of them after a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote:81276b6a53="switters"]GREEN! GREEN! GREEN!
BE JUST LIKE ME. MINE'S THE COOLEST!
GREEN! GREEN! GREEN![/quote:81276b6a53]

Ok, Green's out. :lol:

j/k...

I do like the green. I had a green NB and the color wore on me a bit. will see.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you get the green it'll be one of the few green things in Texas. Go with the orange so that it'll match the blazing Texas sun.

- j/k

Only cool people drive the GG.

- not j/k

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have been thinking about it more. I didn't realize the orange came with a black interior. I am going to have to check that out. I would prefer a black interior (need to see it first though). I also re-considering my green vs. blue preference.

I know this. It will NOT be silver.

I kinda wish they made a white one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in the Mobile, AL area and I bought the awd version. We have had about 35 inches of rain in the past two months. My awd E is a rocket in the wet conditions that we have compared to the other vehicles that I drive.
It posts the same 0-60 time wet or dry pavement. The rear wheels have always kicked in when the front wheel slip.

I have averaged 23 mpg with the automatic transmission for the last 4 thousand miles. The mileage increased about 5% after the first 8 thousand miles.

It does weigh a little more and it cost a little more, but is well worth the difference. The extra weight provides a slighly better ride and more balanced handling. I will recover the extra money at resale time.

Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get a 2WD EX like I did. A 4WD will not help you in the rain. My 2WD plows thru rain like nothing else. You'll also save about 200lbs in weight which is beneficial when you're driving a 4cylinder that weighs over 3000lbs. And you'll also save $$. I know here on the east coast 2WD's are not as easy to find but should be much easier in Texas. Love my 2WD! Good luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Knowing what I know now about the Element on the beach (posted in another post), I probably would have opted for a 2WD EX model. I would have lost the sunroof in the back, though, and that's one thing to consider if you like that sort of thing. Now, I may change my mind once winter rolls around and the first big snowstorm hits here in VA and if the AWD system is able to get me out on the road with minimal trouble. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the summer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm in Michigan so 4WD is sort of a no-brainer, but I'd get it even if I lived in Texas, It rains everywhere, and a freshly wet new asphalt surface is slipperier than ice at -10F.

The kicker was the price difference is what, $600? And you get a sun roof. As for the auto- who wants to shift through a 10 mile communte through traffiic? Anyway, autos are sd good now the only justifications for a stick are price and ego. And I never felt that cool shifting my '76 Chevette.

Oh, you think the stick is going to get you lower ETs in the 1/4 mile? Or faster lap times at Brands Hatch? Formula 1 cars have auto transmissions. Good enough for me.

;-)

1 - 20 of 265 Posts