Honda Element Owners Club banner

201 - 220 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
$tealership. :) They're such a wealth of information, I'm finding.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
$tealership. :) They're such a wealth of information, I'm finding.

It's not just your dealership!

We did a northeast meet once at one of the dealerships. It was funny to see the sales force scatter! One of them commented that we ( EOC members knew more about the car than they did! :D

In our FAQ section Dance did a wright-up on the way the 4WD works. It makes for an interesting read if your so inclined! Click Here !

Dom

·
Registered
14 Posts
2WD or AWD

Here's the choice:

2003 Element DX, 2WD, 63,000 miles, MT $8,000
2004 Element LX, AWD, 92,000 miles, MT: $10,000

I live in Connecticut. We get some snow, but this would be a 2nd car. I already own an AWD (Subaru), so the AWD isn't absolutely necessary.

Question: does anyone have insights on the difference?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Take the 2003 it has less miles and is 2 grand less.............

JMHO

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
My vote is for the 2003 also because of the lower milage. AWD can't do anything on ice and if your careful you can get around in snow just fine in front wheel drive IMO.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd go with the 03. If you're worried about snow take some of the money you saved and by a set of cheap wheels with snow tires on them, they'll probably out perform AWD with all-seasons.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been going back and forth with this same dilemma. I've seen some crazy deals on the FWD Elements - best so far was a 66K mile 2003 FWD 5MT for $6750 - clean title and looked like it was in good shape.

The thing that holds me back is that my wife is going to med school in Maine. I will be moving to be with her. Next year she could be almost anywhere in the northeast (southern Maine, Augusta, MA in the Berkshires, or Watertown, NY.

She's in Kennebunkport now and her landlord drives a FWD Jetta with all seasons. He says they plow the roads incredibly fast there and he doesn't need AWD, 4WD, or even snow tires.

Still, I want to be prepared for whatever lands our way.

Say I did buy a FWD E, how would it do in snow with snow tires?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought I'd read of some disappointment with the Element's AWD system. We've got a FWD E and a Subaru and can appreciate the Sube's AWD even in ordinary rain.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Careful driving and good snow tires will get you almost everywhere that AWD can. AWD does NOT help you turn or stop, which is what gets most people into trouble in winter driving - going too fast or failing to anticipate.

BTW I LOVE my AWD E. The system works fine in the worst conditions British Columbia can throw at it and I do a lot of traveling in bad conditions in the winter.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
4WD worth it?

Considering buying a new E and thinking about trying the 4WD version this time. Is it really any better then FWD in bad weather or bad roads? It's more expensive and you loose a MPG so just wondering if the benefits would outweigh that.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Depends, it would help if you finished filling out your profile so we know where you live & what kind of weather you have there! I'm sure we have several E owners near where you are who can speak to the particular weather there.

Other than that, I can speak from my experience in MN and WI that I love the 4WD. I've taken my E everywhere in any weather and it's solid as a rock. The 4WD especially helps getting up hills in the winter and running around in the mud on the farm. Well works great until you drive into mud over your axles... :lol:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Considering buying a new E and thinking about trying the 4WD version this time. Is it really any better then FWD in bad weather or bad roads? It's more expensive and you loose a MPG so just wondering if the benefits would outweigh that.
Is it the best awd/4wd system ever made....no
Is it an extreme off roading system.....no

If you area has some type of seasonal snow accumulations or "harsh" conditions, is it great to have....yes
Do you feel a little better having to go out in a bad storm with it(or having a family member go out).....yes

If you search around here on the EOC you will see 7 years of posts from 2wd members that wish they would have gotten 4wd, others that would have bought the sc if it was awd & people trying to swap sell or build the 2wd into an awd..... but I have YET to see a member wanting to go backwards to 2wd.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
It's certainly not extreme, but it is highly rugged and helps you out of a lot of tight spots in really crappy weather. I'm usually that guy driving around on the days where the advise no travel whatsoever and have yet to have a problem. However, I've also put in a TON of hours learning how to drive in snow & ice in general as well as a good deal of time getting to learn how my Element handles in all conditions. YMMV.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
282 Posts
I drove home from work last year in a snowstorm that eventually dumped a total of 3 feet on us. The Element's 4WD performed flawlessly. I know this might sound insane, but it felt more solid on the road than my Off Road F250 with manual locking hubs and enormous tires did. I would recommend the E's 4 wheel drive to anyone who might have a need for it in the northern states or in areas with slight muddy/off road conditions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I live in Oklahoma. We have pretty crazy weather here. I think I will try and talk the wife into a 4wd LX now. Thanks for the replies.

201 - 220 of 265 Posts