Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a used E. Debating the need for AWD. I live in northeast Indiana and snow and rain are not major players. I presently drive a GMC Enovy and have probably used the 4wd less then a dozen times. When I did use it, I probably should not have been out in the first place.

On another thread I read how people struggle with the AWD as you must be aggressive for it to "kick in". As a trade off, it seems the drag of the AWD makes you suffer in the MPG area.

As I shop, I can see the AWD holds their value.

What are your experiences and suggestions? Should I shop for the AWD?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
If you can afford it, get it. The whole "drive aggressive to make it work" thing is a load of crap.
The MPG thing......if the 1 or 2 MPG less you'll get with the AWD break the bank for you, you should probably be looking to buy something other than an Element.

Not bashing, just the truth.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree with Frozen E

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I would think 2 responses from the Dakotas should be a great value. If the "drive aggressively" with the AWD is a load of "crap", are you satisfied with the AWD in your experience.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have the 4wd, and although we don't get much snow in the Dallas area, we do get some nasty ice storms once and a while, and some torrential rain storms. And like has been posted - "drive aggressively to kick it in" is a crock. Do that and, like on any 4wd, you'll just put yourself into a spin or slide. The E's 4wd only kicks in when one of your front wheels starts to slip, then when traction come back, it disengages again. Only an "ops, slippery spot" kind of thing. Not a true 4wd at all. But saying that, it's kept me on an icy road, while I watched a Lexus slide by, and bounce over the curb into someones front yard. :D

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The whole point of AWD is that it is a "no-brainer". Unlike 4WD where you have to decide if you should engage it, unless something malfunctions, you probably won't even know when the AWD is doing its job.

Having driven many FWD, RWD , 4WD and AWD vehicles, I can say that when it comes to on-road performance over a wide range of conditions, AWD overall provides a much more stable and comfortable ride. IMHO, that more than justifies the 1 mpg worst case penalty.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
OP, I don't know where you're at, but go for a test drive and find a dirt road somewhere and try to spin your front tires by either dumping the clutch or just flooring it. Now, true, that's a bit aggressive, but you'll see how the system works. Haven't had to use it on ice/snow yet (just came from Hawaii), but it works beautifully on the sand. :D

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you ca get a 4WD get it. You will not regret it as the system is so simple it just works when needed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
IMHO, there is significant differences on road emergency handling capability, during severe weather condition specially heavy rain/ice, between a FWD & RWD car, if AWD is not been considered as option. For FWD with driving wheels & turning wheel being the same wheel, it is just a lot more possibility the car could be out of control during emergency situation, when gasing it, braking it, & turning it on the same wheels.
Just remember, for realtime AWD system like in Honda E, we are really paying for the peace of mind during severe weather emergency situation. It is designed by Honda to give us the best handling capability during those situation, so hopefully it could minimize accident. It is really not resign for main purpose of taking it offroad for enjoyment.
I considered it as safety feature I would more than happy to pay for, just like side airbags, curtain airbags, & rollover sensors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts