Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the south where I could not justify the need for an AWD so I bought a 2WD EX-P since it was a good deal. My question is how does the 2WD E handle in snow? I plan a yearly winter trip to Colorado in Late December, all paved roads but some may not be plowed completely. I know there are lots of 4WD threads out there but few responses I could find on 2WD, I have brand new all-season goodyear tires.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
some folks get all excited about taking a FWD vehicle into snow, thinking that they need 4WD. they totally ignore the real problem, which is stopping. you need to have tires that are appropriate for winter. leave your super wide summer tires at home, if you have them.
if you make allowances for the increased stopping distances even when you have good tires, and don't do anything "stupid", you'll be fine w/ FWD in the snow. in California, you should carry tire chains that you have tried on your current set of tires, don't know about Colorado.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm a very experience mountain and winter driver, just not in an E. I have driven a 4WD Mitsubishi Outlander to Colorado the past few years including the winter of 2006 when they had 36"+ of snow in one night and closed I-70 for days. Mainly I wanted to know the difference in handling I can expect from the E with just FWD. And yes I have chains but would prefer not to put them on unless needed.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Really there will be no difference. The E is basically FWD when the 4WD system is not activated and then it only comes on when the front begin to spin. So in your case you will lake the support from the rear end if the front slip. Take it easy as with any vehicle and allow yourself plenty of stopping room and be sure you slow down before you try and make a turn not as you enter the apex of the curve. Front wheel drive has a tendency to plow or under steer in these situations. You should have no problems though as long as you take it easy.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I drove all over Utah in the winter with a FWD Civic. I had the same car in the Texas panhandle in snow and ice. If you have good all weather or winter tires and knowledgeable about winter driving you should do good. Just keep in mind clearance and that it is not a 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yep, just take driving easy, be careful and allow enough stopping room. And carry snow chains/cables.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This will be my third winter with the SC and I've never had any trouble here in Ohio, like others have said just take it slow and easy and you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It true an AWD element is really a FWD vehicle and the real wheels only kick in when the front tires spin. I guess they should really call at a part-time AWD!:) I have put many many miles in ice and snow on my element and I can say I only notice the :)AWD system in the nastiest inclines covered with ice and snow.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thats why it is called "Real Time" AWD. Only needed if/when necessary. I hoped they had a manual 4WD activation tool like the Nissan Xterra.

·
Registered
859 Posts
ive made a few trips up to the snow, youll be just fine with 2wd if you watch your speed and use caution.

·
Registered
362 Posts
On a 2WD vehicle is there any advantage to putting chains on all four wheels? Decrease stopping distance, stability on curves, etc?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
i think chains on all 4 tires would decrease the stopping distance compared to chains only on the driven tires. but it would be a pain to have to carry/install 2 sets of chains.
in California, there are 3 levels of chain control. R3 requires 4WD and chains all around, but the CHP generally closes the road rather than go to R3.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i dont think i would want to be driving on a highway anyway if it was so bad you needed 4wd and chains on all wheels just to pass it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts