Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for weighing in on shock length. I had no idea how much to trust that guy so I just threw it out there with the disclaimer.

Also I got a follow up email from the bilstien rep that said something along the same lines about the slip on coiler sleeves

BilsteinRep said:
Hello Ben,

We also offer the below components which are very close dimensionally to the shock you are inquiring about.

Shock part number F4-BOA-0000304
46mm coilover sleeve F4-BOA-0000117

Kind Regards,
The shock I was asking about was the tundra strut, but I'm betting they have multiple lengths and such.

·
Registered
622 Posts
2nd gen crv rear shock spring perches are about 1" higher than the element. i measured a crv i saw in the parking lot. i measured the lowest part of the perch and highest part of the strut mount cylinder. gonna do this after my current project is done.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did you measure that against your own in the same way (bottom of mount to topmost part of spring perch?) Just double checking so I can put it in the spreadsheet.

Even a ~1” would be good to know for future folks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
yeah. parked right next to the crv and measured mine first. i measured twice and fast but found that it was about an 1/8 more than in inch. i didnt want to give an exact number so i just said 'about an inch'. i actually measured the bottom of the spring perch and the top of the eyelet mount. if i run into another 2nd gen, then i'll measure the bottom of the eyelet mount and botoom of spring perch. that would of been an easier point and maybe even more accurate.

yeah, 1" is exactly what i wanted.

in the rear, lets say 1" = 1.6" lift....then 1.25" = 2.05". 1.5-2 lift in the rear is just what i wanted. thinking if it was a bit more than 2" i'll throw on a 1" ebay spacer for the front.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
About an inch is really useful. I'll add a comment that says a bit longer than an inch in the file = thanks for measuring!

·
Registered
622 Posts
hold up hold up. i found another one and measured lowest part of spring perch and lowest part of eyelet mount.

crv = 4.5"
element = 4"

so hold up until i can measure a few more just to be sure.

.5" is kinda a small difference but might just be enough to correct my rear sag when im loaded.

exact measurements can only be had easiest with struts off. all my numbers are struts on

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It just got nice here. I should take a list of vehicles into the pull a part the next time I go to see what all I can track down and measure.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's a hella good find! I'll update 3 and 5/8ths on the spreadsheet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is this both front and rears?!?!?! Any lift that come from them? I'm so excited to hear this.

·
Registered
622 Posts
only the rears. i been researching the fronts and i don't think they can work. i drove around for a little bit and it's still 1" of lift. we'll see after a day or two but i think it ain't moving. 1" is a lot compared to what it was, very noticeable. i like the slight rake.

maybe i'll find some bilsteins that work for the front when mine goes bad...

the groove cursh was typing about just holds a snap ring so yes im sure you can machine another for a height adjustment

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
:high fiving a thousand angels:

great work! Glad to see traction on this list.

·
Registered
156 Posts
only the rears. i been researching the fronts and i don't think they can work.
any idea what specifically won't work about the fronts? I know there's the reverse coil issue from driver to passenger on the 2nd gen crv (which was on the 07+ Element too), but I haven't been able to find anything remotely close to working in terms of the steering arms.

·
Registered
622 Posts
yeah, you got them. the reverse coil is strange. i mean, why was the switch needed? when mine goes bad i'll get in there and have a good look. i am fine with honda front with bilstein rears for now. that seized strut bolt was a real pain when working with only floor jacks. got me scared to do the fronts now. this element came from the salt belt

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
586 Posts
yeah, you got them. the reverse coil is strange. i mean, why was the switch needed? when mine goes bad i'll get in there and have a good look. i am fine with honda front with bilstein rears for now. that seized strut bolt was a real pain when working with only floor jacks. got me scared to do the fronts now. this element came from the salt belt
Salt belt here too. My rears were awful like yours. Sawzall on one side, one finally came free. UGH! FWIW, my fronts were no problem at all. Done just before the rears and all the bolts came off and went on easily with no problem lining things to reassemble. Just be sure to really truss the axle up (inward) to prevent the inner CV joint or axle seating from coming apart when the strut is off. Any chance of a pic of the Bilstein rear setup installed?

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The big issue with the fronts as I see it (from my armchair and spreadsheet, which is a dangerous perspective to take) is that the steering arm is integrated. I’m thinking I could machine some brackets that integrate with the strut body to make more options work. That would be a file for each strut that was close enough, so it doesn’t really open things up much beyond the one or two options that people are actually scrambling for (+1-2.5” with factory springs.)

No way we beat the factory compression & throw/ no point in longer springs up front, so really the solution needs to be better somehow than factory struts.

That means better options for aftermarket, so maybe we can find another tundra/Jeep/pickup strut so that we can stay with bilatein HD and 5600 series shocks.

I’ve decided to try the tundra shocks in the back (I still need to double check my numbers).

The rears need replacing and I don’t want to slide into summer again without having done enough of the big jobs that aren’t worth doing when it’s 115 outside.

·
Registered
622 Posts
213$ shipped for both sides. bilstiens are worth it. i get bilstiens for all my cars and trucks when available. i am not a mechanical engeineer and i do not work for bilstein so yeah, just thought i throw that out there. perform at your own risk

front gap

rear gap

new 1/2" x 3" bolt grade 8 sae. i think 9/16" could work and fit better. tiny bit bigger than 14mm so i'll have to buy one and see.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
you guys are amazing!!! Looking forward to seeing some results and pics.

How does the bilstiens hold up with load on the rear?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts