Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for a better place to post this request but didn't find a Feedback / Suggestions section. Please move as appropriate.

I love to use the search button. It keeps my ignorance from being broadcast to the E world and helps me satisfy my curiosity at breakneck speed. But sometimes I search for something that produces no results because I've worded it poorly. Like just 15 seconds ago, someone posted something about a treatment that's applied like shoe polish which makes things black. I searched for "ever black" thinking that was the name. It wasn't, now I need to wait to search again... it's frustrating.

So, long story short, how about reducing the 30 second search interval to something a little shorter, like 5 seconds?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I looked for a better place to post this request but didn't find a Feedback / Suggestions section. Please move as appropriate.

I love to use the search button. It keeps my ignorance from being broadcast to the E world and helps me satisfy my curiosity at breakneck speed. But sometimes I search for something that produces no results because I've worded it poorly. Like just 15 seconds ago, someone posted something about a treatment that's applied like shoe polish which makes things black. I searched for "ever black" thinking that was the name. It wasn't, now I need to wait to search again... it's frustrating.

So, long story short, how about reducing the 30 second search interval to something a little shorter, like 5 seconds?
I agree 100%

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I searched for "ever black" thinking that was the name. It wasn't, now I need to wait to search again... it's frustrating.

So close. you should have left the " out and you would have nailed it :p

Its forever Black if that helps but i'm sure u found it. Oh and don't use it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
One handy trick is to type in your search on google with elementownersclub.com
behind it. I find stuff very quickly that way.
Note: this works on every site.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Searches are real resource hogs. Normally, search engine delays are set to prevent search floods that could overwhelm the system. Helps keep the robo search-bots from taking over the world. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So close. you should have left the " out and you would have nailed it :p

Its forever Black if that helps but i'm sure u found it. Oh and don't use it.
actually I hadn't found it yet. during the long wait time I was sidetracked and forgot about it. :D Thanks for the advice about not using it, sounded too good to be true.

One handy trick is to type in your search on google with elementownersclub.com
behind it. I find stuff very quickly that way.
Note: this works on every site.
thanks, will give that a shot.

Searches are real resource hogs. Normally, search engine delays are set to prevent search floods that could overwhelm the system. Helps keep the robo search-bots from taking over the world. :rolleyes:
yes, those nasty spiders and robots. even an image verification step would keep my interest longer than a 30 second wait. Please though, if you consider this route, be kind to us colorblind folks. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks Dan, would you mind running it up the chain please?

I want to keep the tone positive so I'm willing to help answer any questions, I'm a full priv code level VBulletin admin who's worked up through 3.8.x.

Sincerely not trying to start trouble whatsoever, just haven't seen a viable technical reason. Thanks a bunch, really do love the website.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I can deal with the delay for the most part except for when I type in a worng word and have to wait for the 30 second timer. The 3 letter filter is what gets me. Very hard to find posts that are about ABS, GPS, and Wee Wee Box

·
Administrator
465 Posts
Hey guys, the main reason that the search limit is set at 30 seconds in becasue every time you do a search you are essentially running a query across the whole database. 1 or 2 searches doesn't really slow down the server that much, but when you increase the over all amount of queries that the server can run within a shorter time frame, the Box will lag significantly.

I know it doesnt seem like much, but the load could potentially crash the server.

As for searching for 3 character terms, You can try wrapping things like ABS in "quotation marks" = "ABS"

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Hey thanks for the 3 character bypass.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
+1 on Google search! Just put in the following:

Code:
elementownersclub.com <search term 1> <search term 2> <etc.>
Admin, just out of curiosity how big is the DB that the query hits? Oh and thanks tons for the 3 character bypass!
I wasn't aware of the google hack. Thanks Prot. The search feature on the forum is ... well ... lacking.;-)

Triple bypass MMMMMMM *drool*

·
Registered
221 Posts
I use the New Posts link all the time, and it is subject to the 30 second rule too. *shrugs*

I'll get over it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I use the New Posts link all the time, and it is subject to the 30 second rule too. *shrugs*

I'll get over it.
Log in on a second browser window. Just don't get confused with multiple conversations on the OUTSIDE of your head.;-)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts