1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi, sorry if this has been answered previously..

I am looking to get the following Pure Sine Wave Inverter to install in the front power outlet, to charge a laptop, portable gen, from the car battery:

Would there be any electrical compatibility issues with this inverter? Thank you.
Hopefully you know this already but you need to ensure that your electrical load is considerably less than 300watts... that ad shows a lot of things that aren't - 'hair dryer', 'iron', 'cooktop'!?!?.
And by 'considerably' I'd suggest that your load, in total, not exceed 200Watt as the way those less expensive inverters are rated is considerably overstated.
And if it seems expensive because they're telling you that its "pure sine wave" then buy one that isn't, because you don't need a pure sine wave if you're powering a laptop or any other device that converts the AC back to DC.
Good luck and keep it ventilated, as above.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hopefully you know this already but you need to ensure that your electrical load is considerably less than 300watts... that ad shows a lot of things that aren't - 'hair dryer', 'iron', 'cooktop'!?!?.
And by 'considerably' I'd suggest that your load, in total, not exceed 200Watt as the way those less expensive inverters are rated is considerably overstated.
And if it seems expensive because they're telling you that its "pure sine wave" then buy one that isn't, because you don't need a pure sine wave if you're powering a laptop or any other device that converts the AC back to DC.
Good luck and keep it ventilated, as above.
I totally agree and it would suprise me if it was really half that considering the price. Here is a heavy duty real inverter that is rated at 200w. Look at the size and price
I run one of there inverters in my RV

·
Registered
391 Posts
The fuse on your 12V outlet is most likely at 15A fuse. 300W at 12V is 15A which assumes no loss in the conversion from DC to AC. For the inverter to supply 300W, you will be overloading your 12V jack and likely be blowing fuses.

Many laptop chargers are around 100W, so you should be safe just plugging in one laptop.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great addition to the element. I use one to power a nebulizer for my friends son, instead of sitting at home he did his treatments on the road, Mine was also 300W and went through the lighter socket, there was an adaptor to clamp directly to the battery for high loads. Once I tried to use a tire pump plugged into the inverted plugged into the the lighter and it blew the fuse immediately.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If this is just to be used with your laptop, instead of buying an inverter to convert 12vdc to 110vac and then plugging your laptop power adapter in to convert it back to 10 or 20 vdc, you can probably find a car adapter for your specific laptop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts