Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used this forum for years but only recently joined. I bought my 2003 element brand new in January of 2004, and have used it for work and daily driving ever since. The last year has been a pricey one for the E with lots of new parts, but after driving the car for a year with a very minor leaking head gasket the engine began to start having the dreaded vetch code issues followed by misfires and cam shaft position errors. Even with all of this going on the car would still start up fine every day and drive moderately well with the occasional bucking. With 375,000 miles on it I decided to just replace the engine rather than replacing the head gasket the costs of the job including the used engine wasn't much of a difference. Hoping to be back on the road soon error free and running good. The head gasket went bad from overheating last summer from a bad radiator and a leaking hose. Up until this last 10,000 miles I had zero issues with the engine, and basically just had to replace accessories.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This post certainly speaks to the Element's longevity! Please keep us posted on the engine replacement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New engine is installed and starts up well just a few things to button up and hopefully I will have my car back. The mechanic told me when he pulled the vvt solenoid that the screen was full of metal shavings. So the element was definitely on the downward spiral. I am likely taking the old engine home with me to tear it down and see how worn it is internally. I am considering rebuilding it as a hobby since the element is almost a classic car now would be nice to still have the original engine lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's certainly less expensive than buying another Element, assuming that the rest of the vehicle is in good shape!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's certainly less expensive than buying another Element, assuming that the rest of the vehicle is in good shape!
I have kept it up over the years and for the most part it's still in pretty good shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts