Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some tire pressure tests recently and found that 38 PSI works the best for me. Thought that might help some of you out there. 44 PSI is the max printed on the tire, I got it there and it felt like I was on rails. Good for highway driving I guess, but not city driving. I slowly let out about 2 PSI at a time and drove a couple miles. I liked it at 38, 36 wasn't bad and 34 was really squishy and approaching the side wall. So, I'd recommend 38 PSI for city driving. I haven't tried doing one PSI on the front and one on the rear, anyone tried that yet?

I did all these tests at the same time, and the temp was about 80 F. Keep in mind that PSI will go up as the temp rises. Not a whole lot, but I wouldn't fill em up to 44 PSI when it's 70 and then go highway driving in 100 F weather.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are your tires the stock Wranglers?
You will have to follow up with a post in about 10,000 miles to tell us how your tire wear is at that psi.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it's the stock tires. I'm sure you're right, if I had them at 40 or 42 my wear would be better, but the roads around here aren't so great so I'm going more for comfort. At 38, it's still not close to the side wall so it can't be too bad. Also, next time I'm at Honda for my oil change (500 miles away) I'll ask their opinion.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Keeping the PSI down to a reasonable level allows the tires to do what they are suposed to do--absorb shock (no your "shock absorbers" don't actually do this). This reduces the amount of "jerk" on your suspension components, fatigueing them less so that they can last longer. Where I live there is lots of potholes, and I've seen them break wheels and suspensions all the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You must live in Kansas City with me, heh. Kansas City MO is notorious for some of the worst roads in the nation, I'm lucky to live further south and west, the roads are at least a little better here in KS.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The manual and the little sticker inside the drivers side door indicates the tires should be 32lbs front and 34 lbs rear. 44lbs is the max pressure listed on the tire, which is not supposed to be an indicator of where you should inflate them to. Any pressure higher than that listed by the car manufacturer will not only wear your tires out faster, but is also dangerous.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I checked my tire pressure because I was not happy with the handling. I didn't feel like I had a lot of tire on the road. (hard to explain). The pressure was 38. I reduced everything to the recommended psi and like the ride much more. I can't address the safety issues or tire wear issues, but I'd suspect the manufacturer's reccommendations are carefully researched and made to promote the best for the driver. Is that naive :shock: ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I first got my E, I ran the higher pressures and the vehicle's steering wandered uncomfortably (Interstate highway driving) :shock: . Dropped to 32 psi, and the wandering stopped :D .

·
Registered
388 Posts
[quote:4b5e8ff388=" "]When I first got my E, I ran the higher pressures and the vehicle's steering wandered uncomfortably (Interstate highway driving) :shock: . Dropped to 32 psi, and the wandering stopped :D .[/quote:4b5e8ff388]

I have the same feeling on the highway, I'm gonna try the 32 psi on the front and 34 psi in the rear.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I took a rolled-up newspaper out to the parking lot and told my Element if I caught it wandering around again, it was gonna get a good one across it's nose! Whereupon, I went two blocks to the service station and inflated my tires to 38 front and 40 rear. Oh! Is the harsh ride is killing me? NOT! I choose improved gas mileage and more uniform tire wear over the "plush" ride. MY choice; not necessarily a reccommendation.

·
Registered
286 Posts
bad example but maybe you can see my piont.........
"Why are all the teams in the Nascar series playing with tire psi"?
be it a different reason than ours but none the less.....

My settings; 34 frt., 36 rr.
I lke a firmer ride, with less tire roll over ( bad for tire wear ).
Just my $0.02......

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
[quote:be73c4b786=" "]bad example but maybe you can see my piont.........
"Why are all the teams in the Nascar series playing with tire psi"?
be it a different reason than ours but none the less.....
[/quote:be73c4b786]
Nascar messes around w/ 1/4 PSI at a time and their tires only last about 75 miles. Just to put it in perspective.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Duh! That, and the fact that they were Firestone tires, and they were Ford Explorers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the research. I totally uderstand the confort delimma being from KC as well. Why would they(Da Man) decided to work on every high and street at the same exact time? Oh well at least we have E's to road rage in. :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts