Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 2008 Honda Element SC just hit 38K miles and I still have not gotten any maintenance minder codes for any of the sub-maintenances. Should I be concerned? I brought this up to a Honda technician at the dealership yesterday and he thinks it should have come on by now and hadn't heard of any problems with this. Wondering what you guys think.

Thanks,
Nate

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Are you accidentally clearing the maintenance reminder when you reset the odo at fill-ups? Check the owner's manual under "resetting the service reminder" - there is a magic reset sequence that can be stumbled-into if you do things like hold the reset button down too long with the key in certain positions.

·
Registered
751 Posts
In addition to what Mike said, I have noticed that when performing maintenance ahead of schedule, when resetting the maintenance reminder, it will flash the next code. You should almost always have a sub-code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you accidentally clearing the maintenance reminder when you reset the odo at fill-ups? Check the owner's manual under "resetting the service reminder" - there is a magic reset sequence that can be stumbled-into if you do things like hold the reset button down too long with the key in certain positions.
The Element has ONLY been in to the Honda dealership since I bought it new, nowhere else. And even at that, only for getting the oil changed and an issue with a tire pressure sensor. I would assume the technicians are careful to avoid resetting the service minder but then again, nobody is above a mistake. Thanks for the reply, I'll take it in and see what they can tell me.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Are you only getting As and Bs and no 1 or 2? Or nothing? Is the oil life indicator counting down properly?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Mine has yet to show any maintenance reminders--I always do the oil changes and such early.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has yet to show any maintenance reminders--I always do the oil changes and such early.
You too, eh? Weird. The oil-change '%' meter does work. I've always gotten my oil changed at the dealer at 15-20%. Still, there hasn't been any 1's or 2's OR A's or B's. Nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In addition to what Mike said, I have noticed that when performing maintenance ahead of schedule, when resetting the maintenance reminder, it will flash the next code. You should almost always have a sub-code.
I just spoke with a Honda technician that confirmed what breese524 said. If oil changes are performed early (before it gets to 15%, as I have done) the maintenance codes (1,2,A,B, etc.) will never display.

Normally when the oil meter gets to 15% - the appropriate maintenance code will be displayed - not before. The tech also said that any maintenance needed will flash when you reset the oil meter. I guess the previous tech's who changed my oil at the dealership must have missed this or failed to inform me about them :mad:

Thanks for all the responses.
Nate

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just spoke with a Honda technician that confirmed what breese524 said. If oil changes are performed early (before it gets to 15%, as I have done) the maintenance codes (1,2,A,B, etc.) will never display.

Normally when the oil meter gets to 15% - the appropriate maintenance code will be displayed - not before. The tech also said that any maintenance needed will flash when you reset the oil meter. I guess the previous tech's who changed my oil at the dealership must have missed this or failed to inform me about them :mad:

Thanks for all the responses.
Nate
That explains why I have never seen a code either. I always get my oil done before the 15% mark. Dealer has never told me any of the codes. Not a very good system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts