Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 EX AT 2wd
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I changed out my 3rd gear pressure switch... for a 2003 EX 2wd. I found the previous posts on this procedure and followed them thoroughly.

I used this part which is the newest version. This part replaces the old part number verified by checking with honda parts now and a local dealer.

Honda Part No.: 28610-RKE-004
Switch Assy., AT Oil Pressure (Washimiya)

I also picked up a 10.3 mm crush washer and replaced both items, by accessing it from underneath through the wheel well with the wheel turned out, with a 7/8 open end wrench (I did remove the black plastic splash guarding to access it).

It was easy and quick. When I changed this out, I had some fluid leak from removing the old... I cleaned everything up and the next day checked for leaks... there was none. The car was never started...

BUT, after a 10 minute quick drive the following day I pulled into the garage and checked the floor a few minutes later after... there is a fluid leak coming from where the washer mates with the trans case. I wonder if I was supplied with the wrong washer, overtightened it, cross threaded it...

sensor, then washer, then trans case... drops of fluid coming from washer between...

I know I definitely tightened it enough so I can't figure the leak... Anyone have any ideas? Would cross threading this sensor when inserting it create this leak? Also, if I did in fact cross thread it, would I need to get another new sensor because of the compromised thread or use something like "thread locker" after taking it out and re-seating/tightening it.

Any guidance greatly appreciated before I attempt this a second time.

—B

·
Registered
2003 EX AT 2wd
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem solved. Exchanged sensor for another new sensor because first one I bought had a crack in it. New crush washer installed with second new sensor- drove vehicle switching between gears and back home into garage and no leaks.

Lesson learned- Sometimes even a brand new sensor can be bad, inspect your parts before installing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi,
Glad it worked out.
The only thing I could think of was a "Heli-Coil" if you had pooched the threads?
Aluminum is nice but does not play well with steel fasteners sometimes!

·
Registered
2003 EX AT 2wd
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes your right-I did too. One other thing I discovered about the sensor is that it is actually plastic with a metallic coating on the threaded part. Black and silver‘s new sensor. The old sensor was brass colored but solid metal.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts