Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, poor Ruby's ('07 EX 4WD AT) having issues again. Was passing someone on a hill just yesterday, more power than I usually ever give, but the engine decided to hit a pretty horrible misfire, as well as produce a rather potent fuel smell from the exhaust. I got a code reader, and the results came back as follows:

Active Codes-
P0300
P0301
P0303
P0304
U0028

Pending Codes-
P0302

Probably Irrelevant but Still Worth Listing Codes-
P0141

From what I know already, that means all the cylinders, except for 2, have misfired in the last 2 cycles. This is to be expected, as I restarted the car multiple times to attempt to clear the misfire which obviously failed. However, what gets me thinking is the U0028 code. I can't seem to find any information beyond 'General Electronics Bus' code. I do recall I previously had a code that suggested an issue with the ABS system, though I can't confirm it's the same code, as I have since cleared the codes from that reading. Could these codes be connected? What's the first place to start looking as far as repairs go? My personal guess would be somewhere in the ignition system, but I'm a novice mechanic at best. I just replaced the spark plugs, and last I saw the ignition coils were all fine, so it would be something in the ignition harness or beyond. Thanks for your help again.

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
239 Posts
Ooof! When you get this many misfire codes it's generally less than helpful, lol. Is your scanner able to read live data or freeze frame data?

You mentioned having issues again...have you had recent work done? If so, what? Not knowing anymore, given that it's spitting misfire codes across all cylinders, I would not focus on the ignition so much and think more centrally. Some quick easy checks are to look for any vacuum leaks and add an octane booster/Fuel injector cleaner (possibly bad gas).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have had a bit of work, but nothing that would cause this. Other than the plugs, it was just suspension work and a cat converter. As far as my scanner goes, it doesn't seem capable of live or freeze frame data, sadly. Was a bit of an emergency purchase, lol.

As far as fuel goes, would it really happen so suddenly, and to all 4 at once?

Oh! Actually, in that regard, there was one more thing I forgot to mention. This isn't the first time it's misfired. It has, on occasion, done so on other hills, even at normal operating speeds and power. However, best as I can tell, these were caused by low oil, as adding a quart seemed to fix them. Plus, they were never this violent.

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
239 Posts
cat convertor - were the O2 sensors replaced at the time? I assume it was failing that is why you replaced it. Could be that the O2s have been fouled up from the failing cat and is now causing the engine to run lean/rich thus causing the misfires.

cheapest/easiest order of operation would be to:

1) check for vacuum leaks, broken/cracked hoses
2) add fuel injector cleaner/octane booster - yes bad gas can cause this
3) get your O2 tested/replaced

I would add getting a valve adjustment done as well for piece of mind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Valve adjustment was planned anyway, as I'm the second owner and don't know if the last did it, not to mention the 180k miles it has. As far as the sensors, they were replaced recently, too, though not after the cat replacement. The one code I listed is technically an O2 sensor code, but it's for the rear, which doesn't actually control anything. Still, I may look into replacing those, too, just to eliminate all possibilities. If none of that works, or something does, I'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose I owe the thread an apology. Turns out my codes were symptoms, not causes. A quick physical test showed that it is definitely a cylinder 1 misfire. And on top of that, the ignition coil works fine. I'm still going to look into the fuel cleaner for preventative maintenance's sake, but unless it's a fuel injector that's clogged it probably won't do much good. All the same, at least now I can pinpoint some causes. Thanks for the help thus far.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I suppose I owe the thread an apology. Turns out my codes were symptoms, not causes. A quick physical test showed that it is definitely a cylinder 1 misfire. And on top of that, the ignition coil works fine. I'm still going to look into the fuel cleaner for preventative maintenance's sake, but unless it's a fuel injector that's clogged it probably won't do much good. All the same, at least now I can pinpoint some causes. Thanks for the help thus far.
How old is your battery? I had a misfire code pop up as well and a valve adjustment didn’t solve my issue but a new battery did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No clue on the battery, but a compression test showed that cylinder 1 is dead. 0 psi, where other cylinders are roughly 170-180. I got myself a boroscope to look inside the chamber so I can see if it's just a stuck valve or damaged, but the problem has been localized, at very least. Though I am curious, are those 170-180 psi readings good, or are they a bit high?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think 180-185 is what you’d find in a new engine

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, small update. Mechanic has done what I can only imagine is a leak down test that I probably could have bought a kit for as much as they're charging me, and confirmed that it's an exhaust valve. Didn't say what exactly is the cause, but at least we have a pinpoint, just in case anyone ends up seeing this thread and has nowhere to go on their own E. I'll say more when I know more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sigh. It is worst case scenario, it seems. While I can't 100% confirm it's not stuck over burnt, the mechanic has done a valve adjustment, and it did no good. Let this be a warning to any E owners- get your valve adjustments at the 100k mile intervals, whether you see symptoms or not. Otherwise you may be faced with a $3000+ repair/replacement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts