Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
From everything I have read on the 5 to 6 MT conversion... this is what they have recommended for the AT... sell what you have and buy the new. That is just what I have read others say when that came up in the 6spd MT threads.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
VERY difficult. Complete ECU and wiring harness change, which begets more changes. By the time you've resolved everything you've bought a used '07, the first year of the 5-speed A/T.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I think you are talking about the new 5 speed automatic. It's only changing the transmission, and ECU.

I have no Idea if the ECU's are backward compatible, do to the Drive by wire, though.

Dom

·
Registered
793 Posts
Could be done for sure. Only things "should" need are the following.

5sp AT trans and ecu (I have both for sale by the way from my 08 with 25k)
Harness(you could probably repin yours with both sets of pinouts and it work out better for you)
Maybe the cluster, but I dont think it will be an issue...

You can use a manual cable tb, it will not be a large issue when you are talking about this type of thing. This is the only thing I have left to do to get my dash working 100% minus my check engine light which I will rewire to the kpro.

Happy modding!!!!!

PM me if you have any questions... I went from 5at to 6mt, which was much harder from what I understand, but I have not undertaken either myself. I let a mechanic do mine. If you are savvy with those sorts of things then you will be able to make it work.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Could be done for sure. Only things "should" need are the following.

5sp AT trans and ecu (I have both for sale by the way from my 08 with 25k)
Harness(you could probably repin yours with both sets of pinouts and it work out better for you)
Maybe the cluster, but I dont think it will be an issue...

You can use a manual cable tb, it will not be a large issue when you are talking about this type of thing. This is the only thing I have left to do to get my dash working 100% minus my check engine light which I will rewire to the kpro.

Happy modding!!!!!

PM me if you have any questions... I went from 5at to 6mt, which was much harder from what I understand, but I have not undertaken either myself. I let a mechanic do mine. If you are savvy with those sorts of things then you will be able to make it work.

Cool !

Someone Finally did it !

What did it cost you to convert from AT to MT ?????

Dom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do we know that the transmissions are, in fact, different between 06-/07+? Anyone have the two model numbers? If there are 3 planetary gears in the 06- then an ecu/tcm flash can give you 5 the forward gears. My thought is that there are only two but if the number on the 07+ tranny is a digit or so off of the 06- Ill bet that it's a firmware flash.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Do we know that the transmissions are, in fact, different between 06-/07+? Anyone have the two model numbers? If there are 3 planetary gears in the 06- then an ecu/tcm flash can give you 5 the forward gears. My thought is that there are only two but if the number on the 07+ tranny is a digit or so off of the 06- Ill bet that it's a firmware flash.
The 07+ is a 5 speed. I know nothing more about the transmission. The ECU changed to a CAN bus system. So I doubt it'll be a re-flash and go type situation.

Be my guest to prove otherwise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I forgot about changing to the CAN bus....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Cool !

Someone Finally did it !

What did it cost you to convert from AT to MT ?????

Dom
It would have been easier/ better to get another one that had a stick, but I did it... Do not expect to pay less than 5000 or so for materials, labor and fabrication. I didn't pay that much for it, but got lots done at the same time, plus the shop I go to has done quite a few AT to MT swaps on lots of different cars, so that helped. For sure something to go to a competent shop with great fabrication skills as AT LEAST one mount has to be fabb'd up.

Not the situation with the 4AT to 5AT swap. mounts are the same.

Anywho, check my build thread on here if you want to see pics of my motor mounts. I am hoping to make something aftermarket work in the mounts department though. Went to the track last night and have lots of suspension and chassis mods to do..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Swap a 5 Speed AT for the 4 Speed AT

I have a 2005 EX AWD 4 Speed AT and was wondering if it is possible to swap it for a 5 Speed AT. If so will my E get a little better gas mileage?

I looked through all the posts in this area and I didn't see anything on this subject.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide a link to more information?

Aloha and Mahalo,
aukaiiki

2005 Rallye Red EX 4WD "E"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts