Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to replace my master cylinder 4 times in less than a year. after the first two I switched mechanics . current mechanic has , as of today, replaced it twice too. this time we bought from honda but it was the same master as the one he pulled out which makes me less confident that I am truly fixed.... does anybody have any ideas on what is going on here?:twisted:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Bizarre. Has the slave been replaced? My first thought would be contamination left in the system from the first master failure. It doesn't take much to carry-forward contamination like this.

Also begs the question... is the right fluid being used? Plain old DOT3 brake fluid is the factory spec, although Honda wants to make you think theirs is "special".

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
In your case the Honda fluid - if it is indeed special (I contend it is not) - won't help. We're talking short-term failures here. Unless there was truly the wrong fluid and it was dissolving seals, fluid issues typically manifest themselves over many months if not years.

After sleeping on it, your situation makes no sense. Are we sure that, for a fact, each instance is a failed master cylinder? Or are we attributing an intermittent "no clutch release" situation to a master cylinder without considering other causes? You need to search the forum, using "clutch", to research a known issue with clutch pressure plates cracking, resulting in similar symptoms.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I agree this is wierd and doesn't seem logical. Has there been any feedback about what allegedly failed in each of these master cylinders? Has anyone actually looked at or disected one of these master cylinders after it was removed to see if it indeed failed or is it just repeatedly being assumed it's the master cylinder because you have presumably have recurring clutch failure?

·
Registered
223 Posts
In your case the Honda fluid - if it is indeed special (I contend it is not) - won't help. We're talking short-term failures here. Unless there was truly the wrong fluid and it was dissolving seals, fluid issues typically manifest themselves over many months if not years.

After sleeping on it, your situation makes no sense. Are we sure that, for a fact, each instance is a failed master cylinder? Or are we attributing an intermittent "no clutch release" situation to a master cylinder without considering other causes? You need to search the forum, using "clutch", to research a known issue with clutch pressure plates cracking, resulting in similar symptoms.

Mike, I sent you a PM regarding this problem that may shed some light on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
symptoms have always been clutch starts to feel loose/less tension and not as much range(this is very hard to put in words). and then I can't get it in gear with out shoving real hard or speed shifting. the second one was fully examined by me and mechanic. before taking it apart you could see the gasket(?) bulging out . in all cases the fluid was low in and fluid was coming out of cylinder. a month maybe before this current failure, I pushed the clutch in and it made a popish like sound and wouldn't come back up off the floor. I had to pull it up with foot and proceeded on. also, for many months my clutch pedal squeaked but that has gone away.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I was going to mention about the squeaky clutch pedal , here: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/files/tsb/a02-002.pdf
But dismissed it due you're out of the model year . I too have the squeaky pedal , randomly , and out of model year also . I'm just waiting for it to crap out and replace . Maybe it's the aftermarket models , that copied that first example and those are having problems too . The slave is also easy to inspect , maybe you can bleed the system with new brake 3 fluid , another easy try . You don't have to go crazy with this fluid , as its really not in a location of the vehicle that would need a wide heat range as alot of brake fluid bottles state (boiling point).

Good luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
Any reason you don't want to share the info with the rest of the group?

Lupin, what exactly were the symptoms? Clutch not disengaging fully, making it hard to shift gears? Fluid level dropping?
I forwarded the info to MikeQBF, Moderator, to cleanse some personal info from it and post if he thought it was appropriate to the problem.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Sorry... was out of the office all day. John, send that PDF again. What I received was a shortcut link and not the actual PDF.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wanted to add to this. I just replaced my clutch master cylinder for the third time in 7 1/2 years.

Each time it was one of the bolt heads on the master cylinder snapping off. That's the popping noise the OP heard. The bolt head snaps off and hits the steering column and then the clutch pedal drops to the floor.

Seeing as others are having issues, I'm sure at this point it is a bad design by Honda.

I've replaced the master cylinder myself each time and its been one of the three bolts that the head has snapped off of.

It can't be the slave or bad fluid. (I'm using dot3) the clutch system works perfectly fine until it snaps again. I'm thinking about finding some small C clamps to clamp down on the master cylinder to help take some of the load off of the bolt head since its obvious the bolts can't handle the pressure of the clutch system.

Any other thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem. This will be my fourth master cylinder in one year. Two with Company A, Discount Auto Parts and one with Company B, Napa

It always springs a leak or pops and leaks out of the three bolt/plate area. Poor gasket design of some sort. My only suspicion is if my slave cylinder is asking my master cylinder to work too hard. But clutch feels fine. Just getting ridiculous at this point. It's kind of a dirty job with a nasty fluid

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm having the same problem. This will be my fourth master cylinder in one year. Two with Company A, Discount Auto Parts and one with Company B, Napa

It always springs a leak or pops and leaks out of the three bolt/plate area. Poor gasket design of some sort. My only suspicion is if my slave cylinder is asking my master cylinder to work too hard. But clutch feels fine. Just getting ridiculous at this point. It's kind of a dirty job with a nasty fluid
I'd start by suggesting you purchase an OEM HOnda master cylinder and not after-market ones…seems absurd even for the aftermarket ones to fail at this rate but the OEM one is not very expensive, especially if ordered from Majestic Honda, which always seems to have the best prices on OEM parts. I had mine fail about a year ago (it was the original one in the car, so it was 10 years old) and the new OEM one has worked flawlessly since then.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'd start by suggesting you purchase an OEM HOnda master cylinder and not after-market ones…seems absurd even for the aftermarket ones to fail at this rate but the OEM one is not very expensive, especially if ordered from Majestic Honda, which always seems to have the best prices on OEM parts. I had mine fail about a year ago (it was the original one in the car, so it was 10 years old) and the new OEM one has worked flawlessly since then.
Does your clutch pedal "click" upon first depression, and subsequently "click" again right as you release it? I've had this issue with a new Honda OEM CMC and the Honda dealership tech said it was because of some switches (Cruise control, etc) that were turning on/off with the depression of the CMC. I didn't believe him... It seemed like it was making it up. I wonder if he actually was, or if it's true. The last time I had a new CMC installed on a different vehicle it was smooth as butter... And I didn't have any issues with clicking or the cruise control switches, etc...

This is also the same dealer that insisted CMCs never fail on these Es... They were wrong about that >.>

I also have a much louder click on my brake pedal, which occurs right when I begin to depress... Not sure what that's about. It was intermittent at first, but now it's happening with every single depression. I guess that's another story, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you guys are chasing the wrong problem. The real problem is your clutch disc is probably has broken springs. Shrapnel from the disc occasionally gets in a bad spot and binds the clutch. When you force the pedal down with your foot it either breaks the master cylinder or blows out the hydraulic cylinder.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
When you force the pedal down with your foot it either breaks the master cylinder or blows out the hydraulic cylinder.
The master cylinder is a hydraulic cylinder. By hydraulic cylinder did you mean the slave cylinder?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had this happen to me tonight. I had to get my element towed to my house. It happened when I pressed the clutch pedal to turn the car on and I heard this pop sound like something snapped off and then the pedal went lost all pressure. It snapped one of the bolts and bent another...The seal inside the clutch master cylinder was fine.nothing bent with the exception of the bolts. A friend of the family who has been a mechanic for over 20 years told me that the bolts it came with were garbage, that they couldn't withstand the pressure. I also noticed that this had happened to the previous owner of this car since the part was an aftermarket one and not oem. Once we got everything working I test drove it and everything seems fine. Hopefully this will have fixed it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts