Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello E people.

Just wondering if the E came in MT for the 4WD models. Definitely see some MT FWD models in the trader, but have never seen on in 4WD trim. See quite a few MT 4WD for sale in the U.S...

Still undecided as to whether AT or MT is right. Wife does not drive AT, but I really miss MT...decisions, decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an 03 EX AT FWD and an 05 EX MT 4WD
I think anyone who has the combo of MT and 4WD will tell you it's the only way to go
The 05 was recently purchased and I am shocked to how much more fun and decidedly quicker it is
Hard to find but worth the time and effort to locate-

·
Retired.
12,181 Posts
They are out there.Thye might be hard to find but they exist in Canada. They were available up until the 2008 model year in Canada.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I flew from KC to Louisville, KY to get my 2007 EX 4WD MT. Looked for three months. Love it. I had a AT E for 1.5 years back in 2007-2008 and prefer the manual. Got a great deal on it even after flying and driving back to Kansas City. Worth it. I'm glad to have an E again!\

·
Registered
5 Posts
They're out there, but like the others have said, kinda hard to find. I searched for a while to find a MT 4WD with under 40K on it and when I did, I paid a premium. But I got my E specced the way I want it, and didn't take the new-car depreciation!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love my AT. 4wd. I have manual in all my other rides.
Its great in the snow. & I wouldnt bother with a manual in this type of vehicle (personally). The Auto Tranny revs the engine to bout 6k when u jump on it. So...you'd get more outta it if u had manual (u cud prolly shift at 7500).

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've driven both an AT and MT model at work and I find the AT models to be a bit slushy (much like most non-sport autos in general). If I could snap my fingers and make my Element whatever I'd like it, it would be a 4WD MT for sure.

Keep in mind that MT will feel quicker as it is a bit quicker since power flow from the engine to the transmission is a direct connection once the clutch is fully engaged. Autos work on fluid coupler physics so there is some powertrain loss in having an auto. Admittedly I do like the no-brainer operation of an auto, especially in winter snow or whenever I'm navigating city traffic and have to talk and/or deal with my daughter in the back seat. Just slap it in "D" and go.

The one big caveat to me with automatics is all things being equal and good, they are far more prone to drivability and performance issues as they use the fluid for not only lubrication but also power transfer and pressure operation. This opens the doors to a host of issues if proper and timely fluid change intervals are not maintained. Need proof? Simply ask any 1999-2004 Odyssey owner who has neglected the every 48,000kms ATF change recommendation from Honda :razz:.

On the other hand, manuals essentially use fluid as a lubricant only and so long as it maintains the proper friction co-efficient for the synchros and lubrication properties for the gears and bearings, you can use any proper manual transmission fluid from Honda MTF all the way down to plain old Rollback priced Wal-Mart Super Tech 5W30 engine oil and be fine. Additionally, in the event you do have an internal issue with your manual transmission, once the concern has been properly diagnosed and the part is in stock then most all Honda shops can repair the issue/component and have you back on your way the same day. No waiting for a reman'd unit to come from Honda like automatics :twisted:. This is why I'm glad I get staff pricing at work and change my ATF every 20,000kms :grin:

Honestly, the "fun" factor of a manual can't be beat and whenever I've driven a MT Element (or any MT Honda for that matter, especially the 6-speeds) at work on a road test, I just enjoy it so much more :evil: 8).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes they do Exist

I searched high and low back in 2008 and was unable to locate any in Canada until I finally picked one up at JP Motors in Burlington, Ontario. It had 35,000 miles and I picked it up for less than 16K at the time. It was a US vehicle import originally from New Jersey.

I've loved every second owning my E. Very versatile vehicle and great for our many road trips with the dog, camping, biking, skiing etc etc. Also great just for running errands around town etc. No real complaints at all...although I guess sometimes I wish it had a bit more go...or a 6 speed manual instead of a 5 spd. Also could be a bit better in the towing department. Of course...the compromise of not having that power and towing allows for better fuel economy and lower cost in general. In short...I'd buy another.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I searched high and low back in 2008 and was unable to locate any in Canada until I finally picked one up at JP Motors in Burlington, Ontario. It had 35,000 miles and I picked it up for less than 16K at the time. It was a US vehicle import originally from New Jersey.

I've loved every second owning my E. Very versatile vehicle and great for our many road trips with the dog, camping, biking, skiing etc etc. Also great just for running errands around town etc. No real complaints at all...although I guess sometimes I wish it had a bit more go...or a 6 speed manual instead of a 5 spd. Also could be a bit better in the towing department. Of course...the compromise of not having that power and towing allows for better fuel economy and lower cost in general. In short...I'd buy another.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25635&highlight=6mt+conversion

DO IT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts