Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our first decent snow of the year last night... so I finally had the chance to try out the 4WD system on the Element - and I have a couple questions.

I drove thru some unplowed parking lots in order to get the rear wheels to kick in and when the orange traction light came on it almost seemed as if I lost power/acceleration. Is that what is supposed to happen? Was I actually losing acceleration or did it simply feel that way because of the 4WD kicking in?

Thanks for your assistance!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That is your traction control system kicking in and thats normal. Try turning the traction control off and have some fun. The engine should rev up a lot more with it off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So there's a difference between the 4WD system and the traction control system? I always thought they were one in the same...?

How does the 4WD system work then? If there's no on/off switch, how do you know when it's activated?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question...

Does the Element really have 4WD or is it just AWD with a fancy emblem?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Like Irv said there is a few threads on how the 4X4 system works and its a really simple system but it works great using 2 hydraulic pumps and a clutch system. The traction control senses a wheel spin and reduces the throttle to keep that from happening.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We get the occasional wet heavy snow here in the Vancouver area....the 4WD Element is fabulous, and even better with the traction control on my 07....my previous 03 E didn't have the that feature and on slippery surfaces the rear end would sometimes take a hike.....namely towards the ditch and caused a few heart throbs while I steered out of the wheel spin.
Generally a very good 4WD system

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It's like ABS for the throttle side of the house.
True. I would call it a anti gas system. Thats what I need for myself.:grin::grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts