Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just ordered a 4WD Green E EX. it'll be here in 10 days(i cannot wait). i have one question about the real time 4WD. How dependable is it and how do you know when it's in use? :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
dexter19,

Great choice. I have the Green 4WD EX. It is the best choice :wink:

You actually asked 2 questions :D

How dependable, well, it is based on the CRV's platform, and seems to work great. Only time will tell, but so far it has been super. Snow, ice, heavy rain, etc. No problems.

How do you know when it is in use? You don't know for sure, other than you don't slip and slide

·
Registered
15 Posts
dexter19
Being in Ct. and having a good amount of snow I can tell you it works quite well. It does not mean you can drive 80 mph on a snowy day! That being said the real time 4wd senses wheel speed and delivers power accordingly under preset parameters in the computer. I saw this in action when I backed out of a driveway that was dirt and snow/ice. There was a good incline up to the road. The rear wheels spun briefly like a rear wheel drive vehicle then stopped. Obviously the power was shifted to the front wheels and got me out the driveway. Hope this helps. I think you will enjoy the E!!!!!!!!! Barry :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
The "realtime 4wd" works like this. When the front wheels start to spin faster than the rear wheels, then the sensors on your wheels will tell the system to engage the rear wheels.

When the front wheels and the rear wheels equalize, then it goes back into front wheel drive. Very simple and maintenance free system. You will like it. Try it on a rain slicked road, from a stop sign and try to get the wheels to spin...very hard to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts