Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My element is nearing 5,000 miles and it's time to have the 5,000 mile checkup performed. Does anyone know what Honda service depertments normally do for this? If it's just an oil change, I think I can do that myself. Otherwise, is it a good idea to have this performed by a dealer and for what reasons?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I thought my dealer told me it was a 7,500 mile check up? But maybe I am getting confused.....or is that the first time the service light comes on? I knew I should have written that info down.

I know the dealer said that it was a basic check-up on fluids, belts, etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
a $300 check up at 5k miles!? are you insane!? i think that the check up at 5k miles ought to run around $30, and that would be for the oil and oil filter. this is a honda; if it requires fluid to be changed this quickly then your engine has a problem i think

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just kidding about the $300. I have no idea what the service will run--just seems any time I take a car to the dealer (doesn't matter the make) it comes to a total of at least $300. Sorry my sarcasm wasn't appreciated. :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
I never had that done. My idiot light came on at about 8500 like the book says to remind that the first oil change at 10K was coming up. I had that done and ended up getting it for free. I received a reminder in the mail for my 20K checkup but haven't scheduled it yet (19K and climbing). If I were a bettin' man, I'd say $300 ought to just about cover it. In actuality, $300 would be a bargain. After a lifetime of Fords I've come to the realization that NOTHING on a Ford can be fixed for less than $600.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The manual pretty much gives all of the details. I am going with the "severe use" schedule, so the first oil change is due at 5000 miles. However, I will have the filter changed also rather than wait until every other oil change to change the filter.

·
Registered
253 Posts
At my 5000 mile check-up they changed the oil and filter, rotated the tires, checked all the hoses, air filter, ect, and topped off the fluids. They charged me 26.00 for the filter and the rotation, but I'm in the owner's club so the oil change is supposedly free.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was told that I should have the oil changed at 3000 miles because they use a special break-in oil and then every 5000 to 7000 miles. don't know what the 5000 mile service is but I'll take one if it's mandatory.

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:d727984abe="dougola"]I was told that I should have the oil changed at 3000 miles because they use a special break-in oil and then every 5000 to 7000 miles. don't know what the 5000 mile service is but I'll take one if it's mandatory.[/quote:d727984abe]

I am confused. The manual is very specific about oil change intervals. Who told you 3000 miles? The manual states 5000 miles for the first oil change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not only that but the manual is specific in saying that the first oil change should not be done early.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got my first oil change to day at the Honda dealer. I was at 4850 miles and planning a trip to Vermont thursday. Interesting that the dealer put the next oil change for me (on a sticker) at 8350 miles which is fine by me. I like changing my oil every 3000 or so miles. But it differs from the manual which says 10,000 under normal conditions 5000 under extreme conditions for the first oil change. Oil change only cost $24.33 and they check all fluid levels and stuff like that. To me it is just an official way to keep track of things in case of warranty problems.

Thom Wodock
Sergeantsville NJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts