Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200K Mile Club, 2006 LX AWD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I put my Element to the test again. Starting out in Houston, we drove to Albuquerque, then to Canyonlands NP, Capitol Reef NP, up through Idaho to Grand Tetons NP, then Yellowstone NP (managed to leave just shy of 24 hrs before they closed the park) and finished off the trip with some R&R in Bozeman, MT before heading back to Texas. We slept in the E almost every night of the trip, I have an inflatable mattress that fits perfectly.

I brought my toolbox, jack, tensioner pully, serp belt, coolant, and oil just in case anything happened, but believe it or not the E made it there and back with not a single issue. Best MPG: 29.4 Worst MPG: 17.4. I concluded on my trip that my Element runs O2 rich, because once I got out of Texas and into some elevation, my fuel economy increased almost immediately. And the second we came out of the mountains in southern Colorado and New Mexico, the MPG went back to my standard sub 20 MPG.

Ironically enough, the day after we got back, I went to start the E up and it didn't crank over at all. Checked the battery, 12V, assumed it was the starter that went out. Was able to give the starter some love taps with a breaker bar while turning over the engine and got it started and into the garage. Spent about 4-5 hours changing out the starter. I took the route from above removing the throttle body and intake manifold.

Idaho/Wyoming/Montana have some of the most jaw-dropping sceneries for any of you who have never been to those parts.
Time to start planning next years trip :D
Cloud Sky Mountain Car Tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Sky Plant Tire Wheel Car

·
Registered
2004 Fiji LX Ecamper “Ellie,” 2008 Atomic EX “Otherment,” 2003 Eternal EX Chop Top “Chop_E”
324 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip and great photos! E in it’s natural habitat.

How many days total?

·
Registered
1967 VW Bug
193 Posts
Fantastic Pix! The 29 mpg is hard 2 believe...esp w the roof rack. More deets please. Fwd vs awd? Auto vs manual? Cruising speed? Higher elev means lotsa climbing, which aint helping your mpg.
what luck you had at Yellowstone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fantastic Pix! The 29 mpg is hard 2 believe...esp w the roof rack. More deets please. Fwd vs awd? Auto vs manual? Cruising speed? Higher elev means lotsa climbing, which aint helping your mpg.
what luck you had at Yellowstone.
Mine is AWD and an auto. Driving habits were the same, and had the additional weigh of our gear and all. Same thing happened last year when we camped in Colorado, had some of the best MPG up there. Idk if its the crawling at 40-60 mph or what, but I always get the best mileage that way it seems

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice report… if your in Houston it looks like there is a E meet this Saturday BTW
249/ Beltway area…I believe

do you think a low voltage on the battery going bad could of caused the starter going out?
- was the battery checked?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice report… if your in Houston it looks like there is a E meet this Saturday BTW

do you think a low voltage on the battery going bad could of caused the starter going out?
no i didnt have the battery checked, but its not that old of a battery and like i said the battery was fine all my lights and beeps were going. i dont think the starter has ever been replaced and i just passed 200k

·
Registered
384 Posts
High altitude helps MPG, especially on aerodynamically challenged vehicle like the element. The air is less dense, which reduces the wind resistance. You also have less throttling loss with the less dense air.

Looks like a great trip, color me jealous.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
High altitude helps MPG, especially on aerodynamically challenged vehicle like the element. The air is less dense, which reduces the wind resistance. You also have less throttling loss with the less dense air.

Looks like a great trip, color me jealous.
That makes some more sense of this phenomenon, I just think it's crazy how much my MPG changed throughout the trip. And I took measurements every time i filed the tank.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Really? I am near Houston, can you share more info on this meet please?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really? I am near Houston, can you share more info on this meet please?

3rd post to the FB page… I requested to follow but have not been accepted- so if I’m not working on the E I will go….

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

3rd post to the FB page… I requested to follow but have not been accepted- so if I’m not working on the E I will go….
I will be there. I don’t have FB though. Can anyone confirm how many we have attending tentatively?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2008 EX AWD, 88K
30 Posts
Just curious, what speeds did you maintain on the highways?

Also, I had similar mileage variance when I drove my Gti16v ('92) in CO. Went from 25-30mpg at home (StL) to 35-40 in the mountains. I figured it just had something to do with O2 and altitude.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts