Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for an E. I have test driven several and they were all automatics. I am wondering how every one feels about the auto vs the 5 speed and which you prefer and for what reasons. Your comments are much appreciated.
Thanks!:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you want to shift, get a motorcycle.
If you want to talk on a cel phone, get an automatic.
:)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
well the automatic in later models is a 5 speed, so you don't have to choose, if you don't want to.

for me, i definitely prefer manual transmissions. it's a control thing. i can judge which gear i want to be in, looking ahead at road conditions. haven't seen an automatic that can do that. and i really dislike how an automatic will creep, especially when the engine is cold, so that you have to apply the brake in order to remain stopped. it's ridiculous to have the different parts of the vehicle playing tug of war against each other. i've never liked the inefficiencies of a fluid based torque converter.
some people think that it's the hand operated gear shifter that's important, but i find it's the left foot action on the clutch that does it for me. it wouldn't matter where the gear shift is located (floor, column, dash, paddles on wheel, wherever).

part of my bias against AT vehicles is my previous ownership of older vehicles that might occasionally be in need of a bump/push start. you can't do that w/ an AT vehicle. after my VW bus was left parked for quite a while so that the battery was too low to crank the engine, i could push it on level ground to get it rolling, then climb in, find an appropriate gear, pop the clutch and have the engine running. no jumper cables. no calling/finding someone else to help.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Manuals are always intriguing to me as well, until I realize I don't want to shift ALL the time. I drive in traffic to work and would not be happy if I had to work while getting a little peace to and from work.

Some benefits to a stick are that transmission repair and replacement are quite a bit cheaper than fixing or replacing an auto. The negative is that you will probably need a new clutch before an auto would need any work. They are lighter which may result in a little better mileage. The concept that manuals as a transmission get better mileage than an automatic has lost quite a bit of validity as technology has improved. I also am not a believer that manuals are faster. If they were Nissan would have put one in the new GTR.

I agree with Big E, get a bike if you want to shift.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I am in the market for an E. I have test driven several and they were all automatics. I am wondering how every one feels about the auto vs the 5 speed and which you prefer and for what reasons. Your comments are much appreciated.
Thanks!:)
How about a 5-speed automatic '07 and up...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you want to shift, get a motorcycle.
If you want to talk on a cel phone, get an automatic.
:)
Great thinking! :-x And after that Snuffy gets hit from the side since he is invisible! I will stick to my MT and taking on the cell can wait.

MT is a lot of fun, I like it!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The 5AT is the only auto I have ever liked.

·
Registered
523 Posts
The 5AT is the only auto I have ever liked.
I like the 5-speed auto on my E much more than the 4-speed I have on a Grand Cherokee. The one thing I don't like about the E's tranny is I think it shifts out of first too early. It definitely isn't as smooth as the Jeep's but the added gear keeps the RPMs down at Highway speed. The CVT transmissions that Nissan uses are pretty cool. You keep waiting for it to shift and next thing you know, you are going 65 in 5th gear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
After three and a half decades of legal driving, the Element is my first automatic transmission. Admittedly, I can shift better myself, but for the first time in my life I can eat a Big Mac while driving in hilly stop and go traffic and that has made all the difference in the world. ;-)

·
Registered
74 Posts
My regret...

My biggest regret: NOT GETTING THE 5MT!!! I love my E, but really wish I did not let the wife talk me into the AT. If you have the slightest thought of wanting the MT, get it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I second that! Get an MT if you like driving them! They're FUN and a RARE bunch knowing Honda only makes them 2% of the production line.

My biggest regret: NOT GETTING THE 5MT!!! I love my E, but really wish I did not let the wife talk me into the AT. If you have the slightest thought of wanting the MT, get it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an automatic and sometimes I wish I had more low end torque for quicker acceleration and the stick shift would sure help to stay in the lower gear. Also, you can give your left leg something to do!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Manual . . . since when do you need to be doing anything else but driving?

'Nuf said! :cool:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Manual, Manuel, Manuela, Manwella, manhole.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Manual!

Manual . . . since when do you need to be doing anything else but driving?:cool:
Yeah. Gotta agree. I have AT. First time I have NOT had MT Honda for regular drive. I miss it. (less than I thought). But, since I buy used, finding used MT at my price was hard. It's not a big loss with its AT AWD - but I'd still like full control of MT, even if it was only FWD.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts