Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park on a hill (an incline) and I leave the E in first and pull up the parking brake all the way up... and every time the E rolls back like half a tire rotation about 4 separates instances to a total of about 4 feet.

The backwards lurch can be up to 3 or 4 minutes after parking the vehicle.

I'm afraid of what it is doing to the transmission, since it's going backwards in a forward gear.

This is not a great incline (like S.F.).

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd get it into your dealer like NOW. Somebody could get seriously hurt or killed by the E rolling onto/into/over them, esp. if you're not there to stop it. I've never had a car (and I only drive mt's) do what you describe. You are also at risk for getting sued if something happens and you obviously knew there was a problem and didn't do anything, not to mention the terrible guilt factor involved. Yikes, I'd get it to dealer right this minute if I were you. :!:

Good luck!
Steve

·
Registered
894 Posts
I agree whole heartedly. There is something wrong with the parking brake and with the transmission. Either should stop the vehicle from rolling on a slight incline. Not get this fixed puts you in a situation where you will be liable.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your responses. I have a hard time believing I'm the only one with this problem.

I'll make an APPT today. It's my driveway, so it's curbless. My wife turns the wheels so it would run into a couple dense bushes (on the way back).

I don't like it because I think it's a transmission issue and not a parking brake issue .. Or at least a partial Trans issue. It clocks back at the same distance each time... a parking brake would just let the vehicle move

Of course, the safety issues are paramount, but I'd also like to get this on record so if there is any transmission problems caused by it in the future.
My neighbor watches it happen and always says - "that can't be good for your transmission."

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Here's my guess - Your parking brake ain't working right.
When you park a car w/ standard transmission in gear the compression in the engine is holding the car in place. In older cars, this would be sufficient to hold a car on a slight incline indefinitely. Newer cars release the cylinder pressure gradually, allowing the car to "slip" back a couple of lurches, rebuilding pressure in the cylinders again. Have you tried your emergency brake in Neutral to ensure that it even works? If not, this is a pretty easy fix by Honda. Someone forgot to install a nut or widget somewhere. If the E-Brake works but gradually releases...This is another problem that might be a bigger deal. Try parking in neutral and see if it holds for a while then releases...Stay in the car until it does. Go to Honda. Get it fixed. And your neighbor's wrong by the way...It won't really hurt your transmission...If it's a standard. Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts