Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have driven several vehicles over the years and my favorites have always been 5 speeds. I love to drive them and love the control. However, I haven't driven anything but an automatic since I've had kids.

I will be ordering/locating my E in a couple of weeks and am thinking about going back to a 5 speed. I know resale value is better with an automatic, but I plan to keep it long enough to not worry about that. Driving a 5 speed demands more attention, no drinking, eating (all those things I shouldn't do while driving anyway) etc.

Anyone have any thoughts between the two?

bex

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tried both, if you really like to shift like me 8) Go all the way with the 5 speeds transmission, the shifter is mount as rally competition car and is really a jewel to use... The ratio are really short and the little element feel like a sport car, a feeling I didn't have with automatic transmission, 0-60 Mph with 5 speed is 8.5 seconds :shock: but add at least 2-3 seconds for automatic.

My 2 cents :wink:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I prefer the automatic because their is enough distractions already inside and outside of your E. I live in the city and traffic is a nightmare. I also like the better gas mileage, it's not a lot but every MPG counts :D

P.S. I like to hold my finace hand :roll:

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
Well, here in stop on the steep hills city, I love my 5-speed. I downshift so that I don't careen down hills and like the fun factor. I test drove an auto and that sealed the deal--I like the manual a lot more. As one reviewer put it: "It's like driving a Civic SI disguised as a Coleman tent".

·
Registered
156 Posts
I went through the same debate...but for me, the 5spd wins it due to sheer pep. I couldn't stop smiling when driving it compared to the auto. But that's just me! :p

Get what moves you. Do you have kids? An auto might be easier and less dangerous in case they ever get into it unsupervised. The auto is pretty quick as well and certainly easier to yak on the phone (just stay out of my lane, I was nearly creamed by a phony Explorer last week!!), tune surf, etc. Good luck!

Steve

·
Registered
894 Posts
My point of view, as contraversial as it may be, is that I will know I am old when I don't want or can not manage a manual transmission. I dread that day. :?

The Element's 5-spd is the best I have ever had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Honda dealer I work for finally got a few 5 speed Elements in the other day. I was surprised by how little clutch play there is. It's a very easy manual to drive. I'm not much of a fan for the rally style civic si, but in the element it rocks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you have stop and go traffic during the commute - Bad Rush hour traffic - go with the AUTO.

If you are mostly moving on your way to where you're going and don't have stop and go rush hour traffic - Get the 5 Speed.
5 speed is sweet. Great power and control + FUN.... but not for BIG-CITY commuters.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I really don't mind driving a 5 spd in rush hour traffic. However, I don't use a cell phone, eat, drink, or put on make-up while I'm driving, so I have no problem having two hands tied up driving. Plus, I have to pay more attention when driving a 5 spd - you'd be amazed (or maybe not) how many rear enders there are in stop and go traffic. Kinda the uh-oh everyone's moving, hit the gas, uh-oh the guy in front of me isn't, boom thing. With a 5 spd, I have to do more than just take my foot off the brake, which makes me focus more. JMHO, though :wink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I like the 5-spd especially for getting on the interstates. Here in OK, many people get on way too slowly. With the manual gearbox and i-vtec at my command, I can zip right into traffic - no muss, no fuss.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I very much agree with M Ornett. Much better, finer control with a 5-spd. As well, I can let it coast while applying the brakes gently to save gas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great feedback everyone. I do have kids (2 weeks and 3 years) and my rule has always been, no picking up toys, cups, etc. while driving. If they need attention, I pull over. The only thing I do while driving is have a cup of water handy.

I drive like a little old lady, though, so I'm not real concerned about the pickup. We live in the country so I have lots of windy roads and very little "city driving." My trip to the grocery is 30 minutes and only has 4 traffic lights (all within the last 1/2 mile.)

I do think that a 5 speed keeps you much more focused on your driving, a point I hadn't really thought of. In the winter, its also nice to be able to gear down instead of brake in a icy/snowy emergency.

Hmm..I'll bring this up with the husband and see what his take is. I'll keep you informed and welcome any more views.

bex

·
Registered
66 Posts
if i didn't live in the city, i would seriously consider a 5 speed. but, due to traffic and the constant stopping and starting, we chose the automatic.

·
Registered
93 Posts
:oops:
Totaled my first car by "gearing down" on an icy road with my 5 speed Chevette... ABS was a wonderful invention.

From what you described your driving environment to be, I think that you would be happy with either choice.
I personally would have loved to ordered my E with a 5 speed, but unfourtunatly my wife is clueless when it comes to manually shifting a car.
It was a good compromise, I could order an E for a daily driver if I got the automatic so she could use it for garage-saling on the weekends... :wink:

·
Registered
261 Posts
this E was the first automatic i have ever bought, and i am thrilled that i made the switch. my E is a commuter (hw 101 sf->sj) and i was sick of all the shifting (and my lower back was begining to hurt). every now and then i miss the 5-speed when i am going around a corner, but for stop and go highway driving automatic is a real relief.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Buy the 5-speed manual if you enjoy shifting. If you think shifting is fun, do it. Otherwise, the auto is the way to go. BTW, I am so d--- old that I no longer enjoy shifting. I hope all of you get to be so old. To earn my daily bread, I fly a Gulfstream business jet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had thought my husband would be against a 5sp for some reason, but he's all for it. He's about as excited as I am about getting an E.

Of course, I read in another thread that 5sp AWD EX's aren't readily available right now. I've got a couple months until my lemon law is settled, but I hope I don't have to turn in my van and not have my E ready.

I think I'll call the dealer and see what their take on this is.

bex

1 - 17 of 17 Posts