Honda Element Owners Club banner

5AT slow/hard shifting troubleshooting

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  seagiant 
#1 ·
I have an 07 5AT
I am having slow, hard shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 as well as occasional shudder when letting off the gas.
I've heard trans solenoid is most common issue . im Hoping a
Trans Fluid drain and fill +
Trans fluid filter change +
trans solenoid replacement
Will solve it.
Has anyone else had luck with these three things improving their shifting on an 07+ 5AT ?

#5 ·
Thanks, I might try a couple drain and fills. I just bought the car and the trans fluid already seemed new so I'm worried now that they flushed the fluid to hide any burning/metal in the fluid, but it's too late now. There doesn't seem to be any burning or metal in it at the moment.

I was considering skipping the drain and fill since the fluid already looks new and going straight to the solenoid and filter replacement, but i might try doing a drain and fill one or two times.

It seems like the solenoid can be found for around $80 and the filter for around $40. I heard it's important to get the OEM trans filter because theres a special part inside it that only the OEM one has. 12 quarts of the trans fluid seems to be around the same price as those 2 parts so i'm debating just trying the parts first since the fluid already looks new.

#11 ·
SOLUTION
I decided to replace the trans solenoid first because eric the car guy on YouTube tested his and it was still working with electrical testing but when he swapped in a new one it fixed the shifting.

I replaced the trans shift solenoid with one from car parts .com for $100 and it fixed the delayed shifting immediately. I'm glad that that was all it took. I got an oem trans filter for $30 so I swapped that out just to be safe. The fluid was still pretty red and only a little darker than new so I'll probably do a drain and fill after another 15-30k miles. I added about half quart just from what came out from replacing the parts

#12 ·
Hi,
Something a lot of us don't realize is even with a Solenoid problem...

These Tranny's seem to be pretty bullet proof.

Not a lot of horror stories out there I have seen, like some Transmissions!

If my E goes 400K and a Solenoid replace is all that ever came up, I'd call that a win!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.