Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have just retreaded my ride with Nokian eNTYRE. I have a full size spare ( not Nokian ). I am considering buying a Nokian 5th tire ( I will get a matching wheel, this time ) and was researching how practical this would be from a usability point of view, how do I include in 5th wheel, in rotation cycle?

Generally it seams that a full size spare is put on the right rear when cycling in an AWD ride. Any opinion(s), experience or paranoias?

Terence

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would not waste my money on it. The fifth wheel is so seldom used nowadays that mantaining it in the rotation is more a hasle than help.

I pick the best old tire as spare every time I change tires. Most times it stays unused until is replaced by a new "best old" at the next tire change.

In the unlikely event I get to need it, I use it, get the tire repaired and return it to its rightful place...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I disagree. I always have a full size spare when I go on long road trips. I built a carrier for it that fits into the recce hitch. The 5-tire rotation also makes your tires last longer {grin}

Ed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not waste my money on it. The fifth wheel is so seldom used nowadays that mantaining it in the rotation is more a hasle than help.

I pick the best old tire as spare every time I change tires. Most times it stays unused until is replaced by a new "best old" at the next tire change.

In the unlikely event I get to need it, I use it, get the tire repaired and return it to its rightful place...
Thank you for the opinion, feed back is needed. Do you keep your spare in the back of the element or in a carrier above, rear mounted?

T

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disagree. I always have a full size spare when I go on long road trips. I built a carrier for it that fits into the recce hitch. The 5-tire rotation also makes your tires last longer {grin}

Ed
Thanks for relating your experience, did you DIY the carrier or did you buy something then adapt it to the wheel?, laying flat or with a vertical mount? Any images?

And what is your rotation pattern?

T.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I build this myself, sorry for the bad pics, I lost the pics I took of it when I frist made it.
Its basically a oak 4x4, 3/4 inch plywood and some bolts. There is also a piece of square steel tubing, but I don't really think its necessary, I just had it laying around.

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
LocalPhoto,

Just curious, how were you planning to handle the TPMS part? As long as all the tires are of proper pressure, does it work just fine (since it is still located on the car)?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Pull the TPMS light bulb out. TPMS issue permanently solved. Cars worked just fine without that annoying system in place for a hundred years. Check your tire pressures every now and then and you'll be fine. People survived without idiotic systems before, they'll keep surviving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts