Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard if there are any plans to put a beefed up engine in the Element in the future?

Thanks,
-Mac

·
Registered
338 Posts
the Saturn Vue -- looks about the same size as the E to me. They are coming out with a 3.5 Honda 6 mated with a Honda transmission for 2004.

If they can put a SIX in the VuE....

I hope they do put a 6 in the E and increase the carrying capacity (not passengers but heavy items). Carrying capacity may not be the right term.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The CRV has been out for manyyears now.. and still has the 4cyl.. why? cause it works, it has great pep, and power.. plus great gas milage for an SUV!

The Element being classed here and there as a light duty truck perhaps they might consider it, perhaps borrowing the new v6 from the accord when it has proven itself but Honda is a slow and plodding company they take their time.. they check and re check and so if you are hoping your hope and wait will be a long one.

The Element & CRV have great get up and go.. i drove many v6 vehicles and it has compariable if not better pep than a v6.. which makes me happy! I also love the mpg advantage of a 4cyl.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I must be the only one who wants a smaller engine. I hate spending hard earned cash on gas not to mention wasting fuel for no reason. If the had a 30 to 35 MPG engine I would have bought it!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
szacherau: no you are not alone at all.. my struggle also was concerning mpg.. and this was as bad as I was willing to go.. and all in all it is not too bad.. not for eveything else the element has that i wanted.. and it has the ultily factor we needed, whichis why we are selling the tacom and keeping the integra.. which closing in on 30 mpg itself..

i too love good gas ecomony!

but to get an SUV, something that has flexibility like the element has, it has darn good gas economy for what you get.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well, the Elment has potential as a delivery type of vehicle for small products. It could have a small commercial niche - someone said they were buying one to deliver water in the city.

So, a 6 cyl in an Element makes more sense to me than the CRV, which is simply a commutter or people mover.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Simon: good point, and perhaps they might offer a "cargo van" style with the option of adding seats instead of including them with an upgraded engine for haulling.. it is a thought!

Similar to the concept they are working on with the "Studio E" version of the Element.. except instead of it being a entertainment system on wheels, they could make it sheer utilty on wheels.. they have the cargo van look to that one.. sooo hey always hope.. might wann start flooding honda and our honda dealers with requests eh?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well, I for one, would like a more gas efficient motor. It has enough pep for it, but I would prefer the gas mileage over the muscleness of the motor. Guess I am getting too old for the speed stuff and if I had a v8 I'd probably just get into trouble. Although the thought of a V8 Hemi is intreiging!! :!: 8)

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote:53edc2dbb4="Ger Brassfield"]Well, I for one, would like a more gas efficient motor. It has enough pep for it, but I would prefer the gas mileage over the muscleness of the motor. Guess I am getting too old for the speed stuff and if I had a v8 I'd probably just get into trouble. Although the thought of a V8 Hemi is intreiging!! :!: 8)[/quote:53edc2dbb4]
Maybe it's the age, but rabbit starts and stops are behind me. Too many tickets and repairs not to mention godawful traffic school stints. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy doing 95 or 100 on I-5 in the central valley. Truly I am disappointed with my E's MPG. My 2002 Chrysler Sebring Conv. with
200 HP gets around 28 mpg on the hiway and 24 in town. My E has been averaging about 24-25. This is my first Honda product. I have always heard that Honda was under promised and over delivered when it came to fuel efficiency. After a month of watching the posts on this board I am very surprised with some of the low numbers people are getting. Just hit
4000 mi. today and don't expect much change from what I have been getting mileage wise. That said, I love this friggin car and am completely and totally obsessed. Maybe even possessed. Look forward every day to driving. Have had tons of cars in my life and can't remember being this enthusiastic. My friends and relatives are shaking their heads !
E rocks !

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
OK:

Hey All this is an SUV not an low profile coupe or sedan! It is higher, larger, and to expect to get 30 or better mpg with an suv is a tad silly.. ok if/when a hybrid comes out you can get slightly better but what i have seen of hybrids it is marginal at best, and you do lack some of the umph..

Lets take a look at other SUVs out there:

Small SUVs (average of 18.2 mpg)
Ford Escape 17 mpg
Honda CRV 21 mpg
Hyundai Santa Fe 18 mpg
Jeep Liberty 15 mpg
mazda Tribute 18 mpg
Nissan Xterra 15 mpg
Saturn Vue 18 mpg
Subaru Forester 20 mpg
Toyota Rav 4 22 mpg

Mid or Large SUVs (average of 15.01 mpg)
Acura MDX 18 mpg
Buick Rednezvous 16 mpg
Chevy Suburban 13 mpg
Chevy Tahoe 13 mpg
Chevy Trailblazer 15 mpg
Dodge Durango 13 mpg
Ford Excursion 10 mpg
For Expedition 12 mpg
Ford Explorer 16 mpg
GMC Envoy 15 mpg
GMC Yukon 13 mpg
Honda PIlot 19 mpg
Jeep Grand Cherokee 16 mpg
Land Rover Freelander 17 mpg
Lexus RX 18 mpg
Nissan Pathfinder 16 mpg
Toyota Sequoia 15 mpg
Toyota Highlander 18 mpg
Toyota Land Cruiser 14 mpg

This is per the current issue of Consumer Reports, those not noted did not have the mpg noted next to them.

So you can see The Element is above average for the Small SUV group.. this is a good thing! Honda's also above all are the most relliable vehicle.. so look at all facets of Honda.. they came out originally as the best gas economy, they still have awesome gas economy but they are known most for being unsurpassable as Reliable trustworthy vehicles, that have one of the best resale values, etc, etc!

Enjoy your Element.. if you want something with better gas economy, it won't be as versatile or fun.
If you want something more powerful and fast, it will not be as cool and the gas milage will kill ya!
If you want something more plush, wellt here are alot of options for at least twice as much of a price tag, with not as good gas economy, nor as neat as this vehicle is!
So assess your wants, and go with what makes you happy, there are more than enough options, thankfully, out there for everyone!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Uhh... if you put in a V6 I imagine your total cargo capacity drops to, say, 450 lbs...

·
Registered
914 Posts
I agree, the V8 Hemi does sound good, but i'll leave that to a truck that needs to tow a lot of stuff.

I would like to see the Element w/a hybrid engine. From what i've been reading about the fuel cell technology, it is more economically feasible to have a hybrid engine. The element would be perfect for this. Maybe i'll get one down the road when/if it comes out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was getting 11 MPG on my Nissan Pathfinder, so 18 MPG is perfectly acceptable to me. I do alot of city driving, so I don't even think 18 MPG is too bad considering that fact. I figure on the highway, I'll be well into the 20's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts