Honda Element Owners Club banner

Did you use the factory or the TSX 5/6 sychro hub when you did the 6MT conversion?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at doing this and want to know did you use the factory hub or get the TSX? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
you're probably going to need the vehicle year in order to make sense of the responses, when you get them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're probably going to need the vehicle year in order to make sense of the responses, when you get them.
Folks could always post that in the thread...

I have read everything I can find on the conversion and I know rhurt suggested the new hub for later models and for peace of mind BUT THEN I saw Ghandi's post that he always used the factory hub in over 12 builds and no issues with any using the factory hub.

So that lead to this poll to see what people actually did... what year E would be good to...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for participating in the poll rhurt... no one else who did the conversion on anymore?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the Acura 5/6 hub but it's used as a paperweight now..
I remember reading that in the stickied thread, thanks for the post... no popping out of gear issues with the original hub then?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sorry for the delay, but here is why I think you should buy the TSX 5-6 synchro:

These are photos of the Element factory 5th gear synchro ring. Keep in mind that this synchro is built to control only one gear - 5th. You can see this in the design. It is oriented in the picture as it would be installed on the gear shaft with 5th gear at the bottom and the spacer at the top. Notice in the first picture the arrow is pointing to a line engraved around the bottom of the ring. This is for orientation, because it needs to be installed with this side towards 5th gear, and the top towards the spacer cone. The second picture (in the same orientation) shows the inner teeth. (Ignore the dog hair.) Notice that in this photo, the lower arrow is pointing to indentations on the teeth that are not present at the upper arrow. These notches help the synchro stay in 5th gear when selected. Because they are not present on the top, it may be more likely to slip out of gear. On the TSX synchro which is built for a 5th and 6th gear, these notches are on both sides.

This is why I recommend the expensive TSX 5-6 Synchronizer. It is true that some people use the factory with no problem. But I also know of several that have had issues popping out of 6th gear, and replacement of this synchro has fixed the issue. Personally, it is worth $230 to me not to risk removing the transmission twice if I didn't have too. Although I can't explain why more people don't have problems using this synchro.

Ric

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great pics! Haven't seen those in any other threads... thanks.

Robbie

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although I can't explain why more people don't have problems using this synchro.
Well, that answers my next questions... Why did Honda Ghandi not have any issues with the builds he did? And what about his assertion that the key is correct thrust clearance?

I can see why you would recommend it though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks toolman98 for you poll vote!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts