Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
600 mile tank challenge!

This weekend, I made a round trip from Atlanta to Jacksonville,FL, and thought I would see what the E could do for gas mileage.

On the way from Atlanta to Jax, I filled up just before hitting the highway, and then set the cruse control to 52 MPH. When I got to Jax, I had gone 408 miles (still on one tank), and when I filled up, I put in 11.3 gallons, which calculates out to 36.1 MPG! ( I fill up to the second pump clickoff ).

Just before the fillup, the tank read about 1.6 / 8ths, and I estimate that I had about 3 gallons left, which would theoretically have let me drive another 108 miles, which could have taken me to 516 miles on a tank. (By the way, my low gas light never even came on).

But, as I said earlier, I usually fill up to the second click. If I fill to FULL (gasoline visible at filler cap) I can usually add another 2.5 gallons. At 36 MPG, this would be another 90 miles, which would bring up the theoretical total to 606 miles!

But, theory is just theory. I have ACTUALLY gone 408 miles on a single tank, with plenty of gas left (low gas light not even on). I believe that 500 miles on a tank is doable with not much effort, and I think that 600 miles is not out of the question at all.

So, I issue the challenge:

First, who can beat my 408 miles on a tank (should be easy).

Second, who will be the first to actually go 500 miles on a single tank with their Element? (I don't think that it will be that hard to do, and predict that this will be done within a month).

And, finally, who will be the first to attain 600? I predict that this will actually be done within the next six months by someone.

Please post your runs here. The focus should be on total MILES run on a tank, as calculating a correct MPG depends greatly on being able to accurately fill the tank to the same level before and after a run (this is actually only possible when filling the tank to be visibly full, which is not recommended under normal circumstances).

Please post as much data about your run as you can. My data is:

My data for my 36.1 MPG run:
Miles driven: 408
Gallons used: 11.3
Calculated MPG: 36.1

Gas:
87 Octane Quick-Trip "my contain up to 10% ethanol"

Element:
2006 EX-P, 5 speed manual transmission, no modifications, 52,000 miles.
Oil is Castrol full synthetic 5W/20. Rear differential fluid changed at around 50,000 miles.

Cargo:
One driver, all seats installed. Driver plus luggage weight about 200 pounds total.

Tires:
Original Goodyear Wrangler P215/70R16, 52,000 miles, pressure set at 33 front/35 rear when "cold" (80 degrees F). This is just 1 PSI above normal.

Weather:
85 degrees average, no rain.

Technique:
Average speed: 52 MPH, set with cruise control, and verified with dashboard GPS.

No A/C was run at all during the trip. Both front windows were rolled down about 2" from top. Radio was playing most of the trip, and yes, the XM antenna was extended.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard for the guys who have installed 6th gear in their MT's :D

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
4,757 Posts
There is no way 600 is possible...pure speculation of course.

You are going to get a lot of people that bash the 36.1 MPG ;-)

But I got to say...52 MPH. That should be bolded and emlarged in the text so people understand where you medium was :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Not something you want to do on a regular basis (run the tank down). Crud in any bad gas fills settles to the bottom, and will get sucked into the filter, clogging it, or worse - past the filter into the injectors (expensive). As well, the fuel pump is installed in the bottom of the fuel tank, and is designed to use the surrounding fuel to keep the pump cooler when operating. Run the tank down frequently, and you overheat the fuel pump and shorten its life (expensive). Honda recommends not to go below 1/4 tank before refueling.

·
Registered
235 Posts
How did you not get run over on the highway doing 52mph for 400 miles?! I get enough grief going 65 on the freeway here in SD, CA. I'd get shot at doing 52:D

·
Registered
783 Posts
There is no way 600 is possible...pure speculation of course.

You are going to get a lot of people that bash the 36.1 MPG ;-)

:)
Oh oh. First! My lifetime mileage in my E is right at 23mpg. My best ever tank got me 26mpg.

I can't even imagine 36, even driving 50mph.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
I'm sorry, but driving 52mph on an Interstate is just plain dangerous. You're driving either 3mph, 8mph, 13mph or 18mph under the posted speed limit!

Getting 4, 500 or even 600 out of a tank is not worth the dangers that you're asking people to put themselves into.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm sorry, but driving 52mph on an Interstate is just plain dangerous. You're driving either 3mph, 8mph, 13mph or 18mph under the posted speed limit!

Getting 4, 500 or even 600 out of a tank is not worth the dangers that you're asking people to put themselves into.
I agree, it is just dangerous. It is not the way to save gas. If the posted speed limits were 55 on every freeway there would be no argument.

The reason we have posted speed limits is for the benefit of everyone on the road, when someone starts going overly slow or fast, it creates more problems than it would solve.

I get 25mpg by setting the cruise control at the posted speed limit and I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

On the other hand, I believe all interstates have posted minimum speed limits that are usually 40 or 45 mph, so it's certainly not illegal. But ya might want to drive with your 4-ways on if you're doin that!

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
On the other hand, I believe all interstates have posted minimum speed limits that are usually 40 or 45 mph, so it's certainly not illegal. But ya might want to drive with your 4-ways on if you're doin that!
yes, that's true. But the point of those minimum speed signs is for vehicles that are in distress and are supposed to leave the road if they can't maintain a certain speed. If they can't maintain certain speeds they can be issued a summons or removed from the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
got me beat.. My best mpg was 29mpg

My best mpg is 29mpg. But ideal conditions existed for that day. I didn't get Vetran's day off this year. the 49 mile commute to work was easy. I take mostly back roads and a averaged @48mph.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
52 mph is the key. I've seen ~30 with the 6-speed with driving on 2-lanes in the 55-60 range, and certainly could exceed that for a whole tank under the right conditions, but I will not even begin to attempt to hold 52 mph on an interstate for 12 hours' of driving. That's just asking for it. It would almost be safer to just find a semi and velcro yourself to his bumper.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
52 mph is the key. I've seen ~30 with the 6-speed with driving on 2-lanes in the 55-60 range, and certainly could exceed that for a whole tank under the right conditions, but I will not even begin to attempt to hold 52 mph on an interstate for 12 hours' of driving. That's just asking for it. It would almost be safer to just find a semi and velcro yourself to his bumper.
The Magic Hoover technique? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't surprise me to see people trying that as gas goes up...

·
Registered
389 Posts
My fiancee ask me why I was going so slow the other day when I was going 60 in a 65. She wasn't impressed with the trying to save gas/money answer and uttered something about getting run over. I can't imagine what she would have said had I been going 52. :)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
600 mile tank challenge!

This weekend, I made a round trip from Atlanta to Jacksonville,FL, and thought I would see what the E could do for gas mileage.

On the way from Atlanta to Jax, I filled up just before hitting the highway, and then set the cruse control to 52 MPH. When I got to Jax, I had gone 408 miles (still on one tank), and when I filled up, I put in 11.3 gallons, which calculates out to 36.1 MPG! ( I fill up to the second pump clickoff ).

Just before the fillup, the tank read about 1.6 / 8ths, and I estimate that I had about 3 gallons left, which would theoretically have let me drive another 108 miles, which could have taken me to 516 miles on a tank. (By the way, my low gas light never even came on).

But, as I said earlier, I usually fill up to the second click. If I fill to FULL (gasoline visible at filler cap) I can usually add another 2.5 gallons. At 36 MPG, this would be another 90 miles, which would bring up the theoretical total to 606 miles!

But, theory is just theory. I have ACTUALLY gone 408 miles on a single tank, with plenty of gas left (low gas light not even on). I believe that 500 miles on a tank is doable with not much effort, and I think that 600 miles is not out of the question at all.

So, I issue the challenge:

First, who can beat my 408 miles on a tank (should be easy).

Second, who will be the first to actually go 500 miles on a single tank with their Element? (I don't think that it will be that hard to do, and predict that this will be done within a month).

And, finally, who will be the first to attain 600? I predict that this will actually be done within the next six months by someone.

Please post your runs here. The focus should be on total MILES run on a tank, as calculating a correct MPG depends greatly on being able to accurately fill the tank to the same level before and after a run (this is actually only possible when filling the tank to be visibly full, which is not recommended under normal circumstances).

Please post as much data about your run as you can. My data is:

My data for my 36.1 MPG run:
Miles driven: 408
Gallons used: 11.3
Calculated MPG: 36.1

Gas:
87 Octane Quick-Trip "my contain up to 10% ethanol"

Element:
2006 EX-P, 5 speed manual transmission, no modifications, 52,000 miles.
Oil is Castrol full synthetic 5W/20. Rear differential fluid changed at around 50,000 miles.

Cargo:
One driver, all seats installed. Driver plus luggage weight about 200 pounds total.

Tires:
Original Goodyear Wrangler P215/70R16, 52,000 miles, pressure set at 33 front/35 rear when "cold" (80 degrees F). This is just 1 PSI above normal.

Weather:
85 degrees average, no rain.

Technique:
Average speed: 52 MPH, set with cruise control, and verified with dashboard GPS.

No A/C was run at all during the trip. Both front windows were rolled down about 2" from top. Radio was playing most of the trip, and yes, the XM antenna was extended.
Great stuff. I would totally take on the challenge if I wasn't LeadFoot.:lol:

Actually, I took me Element out to the Black Hills a few weeks ago and decided to leave my LeadFoot at home for a few days after watching the Hypermile Driving Style news blurb. I went about 64 on the Interstate in Iowa (posted limit is 70) and about 72 in South Dakota across the prairie (posted limit is 75). Nobody ran me off the road and I could have gone slower without any problem. It didn't hurt having an amazing tailwind the entire trip out. I think the wind was gusting about 35-40 mph as I could hardly stand up in it when I had to stop to use the rest stop. Of course, I clocked my best mileage ever with the slower speeds and the tailwind. Had the challenge been tossed out before that trip, I bet I could have nailed it.:D But come on - 600 miles on a tank? That would require driving across Nebraska on a 55 mph posted speed limit road with a tailwind and some fumes for the final 70+ miles.

I'm ecstatic if I get 24 - 25 mpg as my usual is 19-21 with my....

LeadFoot

·
Registered
625 Posts

Heck in west Texas you would be 28mph under the limit as it is now 80!! :)

I am geeky enough to to track my mileage on a spreadsheet and while I have gotten a couple individual tanks that flirted with 29mpg I still average 25+ highway, 22 city, and overall average of 23.2 mpg over 38,000 miles. Since I beat the sticker, I am pretty happy.

I do like your idea though. I'd like to see the best tanks people have posted. As someone said above 350 miles would be alot for me too. Of course when I am out in west Texas I do not like to get too low as the next station may be 100+ miles away so I have never pushed it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
"Topping off your gas tank after the pump automatically turns off can harm a vehicle emissions system that re-burns fuel vapors. The pump at your local gas station is designed to turn off when the fuel reaches a certain level, leaving room in the tank that is needed for the emissions system to operate correctly.

When that air dome is reduced from topping off your tank after the pump automatically clicks off, raw gasoline can enter one of the system's important components that's only supposed to carry vapors: the carbon filter — also called the charcoal canister.

When raw gasoline enters the canister/filter, it can spill on the ground (meaning it'€™s not going into your engine — both a waste of gasoline and an environmental no-no) and it can disrupt engine operation, causing bad mileage, poor emissions and overall decreased engine performance. An Automotive Service Excellence representative we talked with says except for rounding to the nearest dime, never fill the fuel tank once the automatic shutoff clicks at the gas pump."

Source: Ask.cars.com

1 - 20 of 91 Posts