Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok all, after a succesful differential service, (thanks), next up is the tranny fluid / filter. I've read the very helpful info here and am ready to go, but one question...
Should I just go with a straight ahead fluid changeover and filter replace, (planned), or should I do a flush like some recommend @ 60K?
Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
A comercial power flush or similar (involving regular trans fluid and/or cleaning chemicals) is not recomended. (by Honda, me, and many others)

A fluid drain & fill and repeat 3 times type "flush" is fine, but prolly not necessary at 60k, especially if the fluid has been changed before.

A simple drain & fill is prolly all you need, unless the fluid looks bad or you tow a lot. I do like the idea of replacing the filter though.

Will

·
Registered
536 Posts
Transmission Fluid and Filter Change Interval

What is the fluid and filter change interval for the E? Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
What is the fluid and filter change interval for the E? Anyone know?

According to the 2004 owners manual the fluid is good for 120k miles or so. The filter only needs to be replaced when the trans is changed, or so they say.

I've been doing a fluid change (simple 3.5qt drain & fill) about every 20k miles, and replacing the filter every other fluid change. I think the filter changes may be a bit overkill, but it isn't very expensive either.

I'd guess for most "normal" people, doing the fluid every 30k to 60k is fine. I generally recomend taking Honda recomendations and cut them in 1/2. (5k oil, 30k rear diff, 60k trans)

Will

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A comercial power flush or similar (involving regular trans fluid and/or cleaning chemicals) is not recomended. (by Honda, me, and many others)

A fluid drain & fill and repeat 3 times type "flush" is fine, but prolly not necessary at 60k, especially if the fluid has been changed before.

A simple drain & fill is prolly all you need, unless the fluid looks bad or you tow a lot. I do like the idea of replacing the filter though.

Will
OK man, drain and fill it is! (With filter, of course). Thanks...

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Ok all, after a succesful differential service, (thanks), next up is the tranny fluid / filter. I've read the very helpful info here and am ready to go, but one question...
Should I just go with a straight ahead fluid changeover and filter replace, (planned), or should I do a flush like some recommend @ 60K?
Thanks in advance....
HEY!!! You've been pretty active around here. How about filling in your LOCATION.:mad:

(Just felt like I should "IRV" someone once in a while):D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok

THE BIG APPLE, DUDE. Always happy to accomodate....

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
HEY!!! You've been pretty active around here. How about filling in your LOCATION.:mad:

(Just felt like I should "IRV" someone once in a while):D

It's about time you got back on the Job! Others have tried, But just don't have your Expertise! :D Myself included. I see it worked already !

Welcome Back !!

Dom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts