Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy Crap! So Honda wants $650 to replace my cracked windshield. After regaining my composure and trying not to sound too pissy, I asked if it came w/lifetime replacement at that price. I then got a long speech about the quality of the glass and how it was a better/safer composite of glass and plastic and to go cheaper was a safety issue. Needless to say I passed. The mobile glass guy will replace it for $150ish.

I'm obviously not gonna pay $650 but is there really a big difference in glass quality. Should I be worried about the quality/safety of the $150 windshield?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I requested a PPG, rather than the standard Chinese knockoff, which often has visible waves in the glass, but that is a truly outrageous price!!

I think full price for a PPG was around $210. They probably make the Honda glass anyway!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got quoted $550 and $650 + tax up here in Canada and there is no alternative - dealer or private. The only difference was the higher one had a tinted visor. If there is someone in Washington state (near Sequim) that can do it for under $200, I'm going down there.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I have replaced mine twice already and need it again - each time has cost me 225.00
650 is highway robbery
go to a good independant local autoglass shop

·
Registered
136 Posts
My last glass replacement was $300. CDN full price ... done in my driveway....the whiney noise disappeared finally... no problems since

·
Registered
480 Posts
So is this a stress related issue? To much flexing around the A Pillars or something?

·
12,179 Posts
In 7 years this will be the fourth time I have had to to replace the windsheild.

Every time has been caused by stone chips.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wow, 4 in 7 years. I guess I'm lucky with only 1 in 6 years and it was a PPG replacement that only cost me $160.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
The windshield is exactly why I carry ZERO deductible on my comprehensive insurance. The couple of extra $$ per month does not come anywhere close to a replacement windshield cost every two years or so (as it seems to be here in AK)....:-:)roll:

$200-300 seems to be an average for other windshields I've replaced in the past-the E's coming soon...... :shock::roll:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Mine was replaced by Safelight and lasted 2 weeks before a rock hit. It got sand blasted in Dec. Will replace it this summer for the 4th time. LAst quote was $160 but I have a 100 deductible.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
That's the same reason I still carry full comprehensive insurance on all my cars, even after they are paid off. Windshields can be expensive.

The windshield for my 1990 ZR-1 was $1000. It has a special laminate on it for high speeds. They don't make the windshields any more. Every few years someone on one of the Corvette boards will find someone that will make some but there has to be a demand for them. I know guys that have two of them in their garage. A regular 1990 Corvette windshield will work, but some people are more particular than others and want the originality.

I have used companies that will fix a chip with the resin a couple of times. You can't even tell the difference. It's pretty amazing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow, lucky for me I havent had to replace my windshield yet. Going on 7 years on the original windshield. There are lots of pits and a few small cracks but they've been filled and sealed with acrylic.

·
Registered
173 Posts
$650.00 is what I paid for my replacement windshield from the dealership 3 months after I got the E in 2007. I had a dumptruck that tossed some road debris at me to thank for that one.

FWIW, the $650.00 glass chips as easily as any other windshield as I have had at least two additional dings fixed and have ignored a couple of others. Plus I got the bonus of the removal of the windshield loosening up my dash and causing a rattle free vehicle to become a rolling maraca. It took the dealership two attempts and a total of a week and a half to foam tape out the entire dash and quiet it down again. Its been pretty good for the most part but unless the glass actually cracks or spiders Im going to just get major dings fixed.

I think most aftermarket glass is as good or better than the Honda...it all depends on the installer and the quality of their work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
$650.00 is what I paid for my replacement windshield from the dealership 3 months after I got the E in 2007. I had a dumptruck that tossed some road debris at me to thank for that one.
FWIW...there's a difference in liability (at least in CA) depending on whether debris falls from a vehicle, or is kicked up by it. Kicked up - road hazard. If it falls from the truck - they are responsible for the damage.

Had a windshield replaced a couple years back by a local Hertz heavy equipment rental yard. The machinery on the trailer was a mess, spewing rocks as the trailer bounced down the freeway. I snagged the license number of the rig and trailer, documented the date/time/location, then did a DMV lookup. Replaced the windshield on my own, then sent them the bill.

Took a couple calls - but they paid up with relatively little hassle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts