Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the stealership i took my element for its 60,000 check up keeps harrasing me about taking my car in for service and im only at 70,000. they want to do oil change and filter (i do it my self) tire rotation (im pretty sure i can do this my self) parking brake adjustment? and brake inspection (they just replaced the brakes at 60,000. should i just rotate the tires my self and wait alittle longer for the other stuff?? i really dont want to spend money if i dont have too

thanks in advance

·
Registered
536 Posts
70K Checkup

The majority of these periodic inspections involve visual inspection of components for wear and tear. If you know what to look for you have won the lions share of the battle. If you have mechanical ability and a good set of tools you can accomplish these inspections yourself and save some clams. The dealers get stupid $ for these inspections. I say, if you can do it yourself, just do it. I would also suggest spending the money for a factory service manual. It will pay for itself the first time you have to use it. My local Honda dealer charges $85.00 just to look at your car. No thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The majority of these periodic inspections involve visual inspection of components for wear and tear. If you know what to look for you have won the lions share of the battle. If you have mechanical ability and a good set of tools you can accomplish these inspections yourself and save some clams. The dealers get stupid $ for these inspections. I say, if you can do it yourself, just do it. I would also suggest spending the money for a factory service manual. It will pay for itself the first time you have to use it. My local Honda dealer charges $85.00 just to look at your car. No thanks.
and im pretty sure i got the tires at costco and i know they do free rotation so there goes that problem, and i got a service manual that has all the pdfs on a cd..its quite handy!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Any good independent shop can perform the Honda "Check up" services- as even though they may not see many Elements- the do work on MANY CR-V's and Civics, and will know how to inspect the brakes, fuel lines and all the other stuff.

Many dealers use these routine checks as "wallet flushing' opportunities. They know a large percentage of new car buyers will believe the "you must have it done at the dealer to keep your warranty BS." so they don't care that their prices are unfair.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I didn't even realize there was a 60K check up. i just passed that. But everything mentioned I also do on my own.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any good independent shop can perform the Honda "Check up" services- as even though they may not see many Elements- the do work on MANY CR-V's and Civics, and will know how to inspect the brakes, fuel lines and all the other stuff.

Many dealers use these routine checks as "wallet flushing' opportunities. They know a large percentage of new car buyers will believe the "you must have it done at the dealer to keep your warranty BS." so they don't care that their prices are unfair.
now, and i know all independent shops are different, but will they be able to reset the maintenance req light? and run diagnostic?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
now, and i know all independent shops are different, but will they be able to reset the maintenance req light? and run diagnostic?
First- the maintenance required light can be reset by you or any mechanic- check the FA-Q/How to link at the top of this page.

Second- A dealership won't "run diagnostics" on your vehicle unless you have either the Check engine, ABS, SRS or other warning light illuminated OR you report unusual behavior to the service advisor.

If you have a malfunction light etc. the shop you choose just needs the appropriate, modern OBD II scan tool to read the trouble codes.

If you choose to use a dealer service dept.- copy the 70K service page from your service guide and ask that only the services listed be performed. You will note, it does not mention "run diagnostics" as part of the normal service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts