Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my tires rotated the other day and ever since then when I hit around 70 mph the steering wheel starts vibrating and I feel like I'm driving on ball bearings. I've checked tire pressure and it's good, I've checked the lug nuts and they're all torqued up.

What am I missing? I'd drop it at the shop but with my travel schedule right now that's not possible unless I rent a car while it's there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
1. Take it to a dealership, they'll typically give you a loaner.
2. It sounds like it's either in need of an alignment or that some wheel weights have been removed. If it were winter, I'd tell you to make sure there's no snow packed into the wheels.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
As with all car repair issues, start with the simplest thing first. Since you've checked the other things I would bet it's wheel weights.

[edit] you did check the nut behind the wheel, right?

·
Registered
662 Posts
As with all car repair issues, start with the simplest thing first. Since you've checked the other things I would bet it's wheel weights.

That would be my first guess, also. Whip 'er into another shop and have them check the balance.

I've had too many tires balanced poorly, either because of a scatter-brained tire tech or a balance machine not in sync. Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds exactly like balance weights. Had that happen to my car recently (non - E)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I will say to do the same and get the tires rebalanced. The unbalance will get amplified when the setup gets to resonance frequency and thats why you will feel shaking at one speed.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This has happened to me the last 2 times I got the tires rotated. Go back & have them balance the tires. No more vibrating. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am having the same problem with my Element.And not only have I had the tires and wheels checked and rebalanced.But I made them replace all the tires with brand new tires of a different brand.First tires where Goodyear Eagle RSA's now I have Michelin Pilots and I am still getting the wheel shake starting at 60 mph.Alignment??? I am about to put on my winter tires which are Michelin LX I believe. I can not figure it out.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Well, as you have eliminated wheel balance and out of round tires as causes, you will have to have your front end checked out. I hope it is just alignment, that is pretty straightforward and cheap.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is a simple way to check if there out of alignment....
1. Does it shake more when braking?
2. Does it come from a specific side?
3. Did your wheels hit something (i.e. Curb, pothole, sinkhole, neigbors cat, Mtn. Lion, etc.) before this occured?
4. Is it worse with speed?
If its worse with speed its probably a alignment, However with the alignment you'd probably get wheel brake shake. A simple test you can do is go swerve to both sides going on the freeway when this is occuring, Now not racing status but in between your lanes. If it seems ok on one side and not so ok on the other an alignment is something i would say. Ive had the same problem after being run into the curb of a medium by a ricer up here WITH A TRAILER! I've been driving like it for 6 months now.:D Have A Great Trip!!!;-)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I am having the same problem with my Element.And not only have I had the tires and wheels checked and rebalanced.But I made them replace all the tires with brand new tires of a different brand.First tires where Goodyear Eagle RSA's now I have Michelin Pilots and I am still getting the wheel shake starting at 60 mph.Alignment??? I am about to put on my winter tires which are Michelin LX I believe. I can not figure it out.
Do you have aftermarket wheels? If so are they using the stick on weights. People do not want to see the wheel weights and get the tires balanced with whats called a static balance to put the weights inside of the rim witch could cause viborations at different speeds. If you look at the weights on a spin balance they will not be in the same place inside as the outside because the tire could be out of balance in different places on the inside and the outside. Sometimes you get lucky on a static balance but most of the time you don't. When I sold tires I would not recommend that type of balancing as I would almost always get a comeback for a wheel shake. The other thing that could cause shaking could be a bad CV joint or wheel bearing and if braking a warped rotor or hot spots on the discs. Alignment will cause pulling and uneven tire wear for camber and toe and a bad caster could cause shaking.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yup it was wheel balance. Took it into the local Discount Tire yesterday and had them re-balanced. The tech commented that they were so far off they had to scrape them and start from scratch and had some not so nice things to say about the last place that rotated the tires. It's all good now though, drives smooth as buttah :D

BTW you wouldn't believe the lengths I had to go through to convince the guy at the counter that the Nokian tires I have are NOT winter tires but all-seasons. Good lord he was sure of himself and wasn't about to get showed up by some idiot off the street! But victory is still just as sweet :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
662 Posts

Cath, If you are having the same shop recheck your balance, you haven't really eliminated that as your problem. Do like Twi and take it to another tire shop. Good luck. :holflag:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts